Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baseball Journal

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Oh, and one more thing... it's a money maker for bat companies too. Every bat we had in our bat bag from last year (and for every other team in the country) had to be thrown out or just used in the cage. That means we all had to go out and buy new bats at anywhere from $100 to $300 a pop. So, most of my athletic budget had to go to team bats.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Dang, seems kind of sissyfied to me. I would be kinda fired up about this too. Why fix something that isnt broke? I understand kids are at a risk when theyre on the mound, but thats something that they have to realize comes with the game. I can see this leading to more highschool and college kids resorting to steroids.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That has crossed my mind.
My CF is a gym rat. He is one of the strongest kids I've coached. He hit a ball on the nose yesterday that last year wouldve been off the wall at least. Yesterday the outfielder maybe took one step back. When he hit it I thought it was gone, but then it just never went anywhere. You could see he was frustrated.
But, in the other hand, now they know what it's like to use tools similar to the major leaguers. It makes you realize how special major leaguers who hit bombs really are.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can see how it would change the game big time... But at the same time, the bats they use to use were ridiculously good. A lot of balls that weren't hit square would leave the park. I think changing to a bat with less pop is a good idea... Sure, it'll take a lot of getting use to and the initial shock of it is huge, but in the end it will result in much better hitters. Oh, and I'll always be a pitcher at heart, so I like when hitters can't do anything with a two-seamer on the inside half. :)

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I passed both softball and baseball umpire exams last night. I'm now a sanctioned umpire - well, as soon as I receive all the docs from OHSAA.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Congrats, you'll definitely have some stories to tell soon.

LOL! I definitely will. Next year I'll probably try and work some MS and HS scrimmages and see if I feel comfortable (or have the time) to work those games. This year, however, our little league will need me to ump every game I'm available - unfortunately, this is probably where the "best" stories will come from.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Started off 0-2 after beating ourselves with dumbass defensive plays the first two games. Grabbed our first win tonight 4-3 over undefeated Bellaire (they beat us in game one). They were 5-0 going into tonight so it was a nice win. Hopefully we get on a little roll.

Here's out field opening day. The new junior high is being built in the view.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332988123.414086.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332988137.122763.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
We had our first practice last night for our first and second grade girls. I have 9 girls on my team. We're practicing again tonight and pending Saturday. Maybe after 3 practices I'll have all their names down. I feel bad forgetting.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good deal Mike! We were talking about the new bats at our league meeting on Tuesday and I feel bad for the seniors who have to make that change this year. I know it would have hurt my game. I was one homer from tying the school record my senior year at all of 160 pounds and there is no doubt it had a lot to do with the bats. Of the 7 I hit that year, only a few were legit long balls. The BB core bats would have made me an entirely different hitter...

Our league is off and running on the administrative side of things after Tuesday. As the league VP, I will be in charge of the schedule this year so you can bet it'll favor the Misfits where possible! I picked up a new ball player that played at Marietta College and he should be a big help. My only real concern is his attitude. We never got along in high school because he walked in thinking he would start varsity as a freshman and couldn't even beat me out for the JV job. (I was a sophomore.) When I won the starting role as a junior, he was pissed. His arm is twice what mine is, but I was a better defensive catcher and more of a field commander. He never took the role of field commander seriously, or his defense, and it cost him. Even when I moved to first my senior year, I still caught the important games and was the only guy one of our pitchers would throw to. I've heard he has changed a good bit over the years and he's not far out of his role as the starting CF for Marietta. I needed another catcher and this kid can ball, so I'll deal with whatever attitude is there. I'm in it to win it!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good deal Mike! We were talking about the new bats at our league meeting on Tuesday and I feel bad for the seniors who have to make that change this year. I know it would have hurt my game. I was one homer from tying the school record my senior year at all of 160 pounds and there is no doubt it had a lot to do with the bats. Of the 7 I hit that year, only a few were legit long balls. The BB core bats would have made me an entirely different hitter...

Our league is off and running on the administrative side of things after Tuesday. As the league VP, I will be in charge of the schedule this year so you can bet it'll favor the Misfits where possible! I picked up a new ball player that played at Marietta College and he should be a big help. My only real concern is his attitude. We never got along in high school because he walked in thinking he would start varsity as a freshman and couldn't even beat me out for the JV job. (I was a sophomore.) When I won the starting role as a junior, he was pissed. His arm is twice what mine is, but I was a better defensive catcher and more of a field commander. He never took the role of field commander seriously, or his defense, and it cost him. Even when I moved to first my senior year, I still caught the important games and was the only guy one of our pitchers would throw to. I've heard he has changed a good bit over the years and he's not far out of his role as the starting CF for Marietta. I needed another catcher and this kid can ball, so I'll deal with whatever attitude is there. I'm in it to win it!!!

Pretty much all the guys from Marietta we played against seemed to have a stick up their ass. There is, or at least was, a real arrogance among that ball team that I really couldn't stand. It was engrained in them, though... Marietta is/was thought of as one of the best D3 programs in the nation. But I never thought they were as good as they thought they were. Hopefully he has changed, Jesse... If so, he'll be a real asset to your team.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Pretty much all the guys from Marietta we played against seemed to have a stick up their ass. There is, or at least was, a real arrogance among that ball team that I really couldn't stand. It was engrained in them, though... Marietta is/was thought of as one of the best D3 programs in the nation. But I never thought they were as good as they thought they were. Hopefully he has changed, Jesse... If so, he'll be a real asset to your team.

I can guarantee nobody will put up with his shit if he decides to get a 'tude. We did just fine without him last year, so I hope he doesn't come in thinking we owe him something. With that being said, I do think he has changed since we played ball with him.

I hope my shoulder can hold out for another year of ball. I'd like to have one more good season before I retire and become a full time golfer. lol

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good luck fellas. I wish I could still play a little but I'd embarrass myself.

We got a big rival tonight, Richmond Edison. They have a solid program and have been in the regionals an finals a few times in the past 10 years so there is tradition there. Hopefully the rain holds off. Although my pitching is thin they have already thrown their top two this week.
Their top two are pretty solid pitchers. Edison is 2-0 after beating Morristown Union Local Monday and Wednesday.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

Lots of big $ kids in that program and that comes with a side of arrogance 99.9% of the time. I'm glad I decided not to attend Marietta to play because there is no way I would have lasted in that environment. I loved the program and knew Coach Brewer well from going to several camps over the years. He can be a dick, but was the kind of coach I liked to play for...

Like Greg, I think he had changed and certainly hope that is the case...