Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baseball Journal

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's freaking awesome, Mike! Congratulations to the boys and you! Great to see them earn those hard to get spots, should make for a great summer!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
That Steubenville High School put Athens out Sunday 9-2, they're a really good team.
Your boy are probably 2 of the youngest on the team. Enjoy it Mike!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can't even imagine how proud you must be, Mike. One of them making it is amazing... But both?!?! Unreal, man. Unreal. Tell them both I said congratulations. That is an awesome accomplishment and they will learn so much by being a part of that team. Legion ball is a great experience.

My question, though, is what in the hell is a soon-to-be sophomore JUCO ballplayer doing on a legion ball club? Do they not have college wood bat leagues out that way?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I can't even imagine how proud you must be, Mike. One of them making it is amazing... But both?!?! Unreal, man. Unreal. Tell them both I said congratulations. That is an awesome accomplishment and they will learn so much by being a part of that team. Legion ball is a great experience.

My question, though, is what in the hell is a soon-to-be sophomore JUCO ballplayer doing on a legion ball club? Do they not have college wood bat leagues out that way?

He has two younger brothers, one is a senior at Steubenville and the ace of the staff. The other is 14 and still in pony ball. I figure he came back to play on the team with his brother.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason pitched for the first time tonight on the 17u team. He pitched just one inning. He struck out the first kid on 3 pitches. Walked the second on four, but promptly picked him off at first. Third batter popped up to short ... he had an 0-2 count at the time of the pop up. His play was pretty strong in the field, 1-2 at the plate, walked his third trip up. He's been waiting since the last game for a chance to redeem himself, I thought he had a solid showing.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't know. They used four kids to pitch throughout the game. The coach makes a game plan before the game even starts. Mason knew he would be pitching the fifth inning before the first pitch was thrown. They stick to the plan too, regardless of the game situation. So far it hasn't hurt them, but will eventually I'm sure. The boy that pitched the sixth struggled, didn't matter. The sixth was his to pitch so they let him battle through it.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We have a rare day off today after two DH's at WVU stadium in a round robin wooden bat tournament.

Things are going as expected. The boys are doing a lot of watching, but getting valuable experience from some seasoned veterans and they're a part of a very good team that's winning games against great competition.

They've been sprinkled in as subs here and there and I'm fine with it. They're having fun and that's what matters most.
They just need to stay patient. This team loses a lot of guys next year. Pay your dues...

Klay played a few innings here and there in Lf and was used as a courtesy runner for the catcher as a speed up rule since the games had time limits. He was in the bullpen one game and was close to coming in before the pitcher got out of a jam. He almost got a crack at the plate as well but a DP ended the inning while he was on deck in the 7th.

Kody caught a few innings and went 1-1 with a single.

Here's some pics from WVU stadium and of Katie keeping score in Gamechanger.

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg