Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Beginner Compound Bow Recommendations

Isaacorps

Columbus
I finally got a chance to shoot the Mission MXR today. Hands down the leader in the clubhouse. Felt great, shot great, cycled smooth and was absolutely dead in the hand. Definitely felt/shot better than any I have tried to this point. And of course it’s at the upper end of the budget lol. I can, however, see this being something I would hold onto for a while. There was just something about it that seemed right compared to all of the others I’ve tried. We shall see...

I finally got a chance to shoot the Mission MXR today. Hands down the leader in the clubhouse. Felt great, shot great, cycled smooth and was absolutely dead in the hand. Definitely felt/shot better than any I have tried to this point. And of course it’s at the upper end of the budget lol. I can, however, see this being something I would hold onto for a while. There was just something about it that seemed right compared to all of the others I’ve tried. We shall see...

Once you get a bow that feels just right it is OK to hang on to it for a while. I used to shoot a Mathews Q2 and bought into the hype of the new Creed (several years ago now). The Creed felt good and I really thought I would learn to love it after shooting it a while. Well that bow was eventually the worst idea I had and at times wished like hell I didn't sell that Q2. After that season I vowed to shoot as many bows as I could and eventually settled on the Elite E-35. I guess settle isn't the right term because I absolutely LOVE shooting that bow and likely will not get rid of it for a long, long time if ever. Good luck on your quest for the best bow that just feels right.

Reactions: Isaacorps

Isaacorps

Columbus
Once you get a bow that feels just right it is OK to hang on to it for a while. I used to shoot a Mathews Q2 and bought into the hype of the new Creed (several years ago now). The Creed felt good and I really thought I would learn to love it after shooting it a while. Well that bow was eventually the worst idea I had and at times wished like hell I didn't sell that Q2. After that season I vowed to shoot as many bows as I could and eventually settled on the Elite E-35. I guess settle isn't the right term because I absolutely LOVE shooting that bow and likely will not get rid of it for a long, long time if ever. Good luck on your quest for the best bow that just feels right.
I’m trying to shoot as many as I can and not really pay too much attention to the brand, hype, etc. I’m just looking at stuff I know is quality and “feels” right. I can’t really be brand loyal since I’ve never owned any of them! Lol

Reactions: Big_Holla

rsmith

If you don’t mind me asking what is your price range you are looking at and are you specifically looking for new or would you buy used? There are some great deals on archery talk and I’m sure most local dealers have dead stock on some bows so you can shoot them before you buy them. I just set a coworker up with a Elite impulse 34 29” 60lbs and man he loves it. That bow is dead in the hand, forgiving, and a breeze to shoot. If a local shop has one you can shoot I would give it a try. They are all over eBay for new dead stock for around 350-400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Isaacorps

Isaacorps

Columbus
If you don’t mind me asking what is your price range you are looking at and are you specifically looking for new or would you buy used? There are some great deals on archery talk and I’m sure most local dealers have dead stock on some bows so you can shoot them before you buy them. I just set a coworker up with a Elite impulse 34 29” 60lbs and man he loves it. That bow is dead in the hand, forgiving, and a breeze to shoot. If a local shop has one you can shoot I would give it a try. They are all over eBay for new dead stock for around 350-400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m certainly not opposed to buying used given the right deal/situation. My budget is +/-$600 for a complete setup minus arrows. Thanks for the heads up on the Elite, that’s one brand I have not looked at yet. I’ll look around to see who carries them locally and try to get my hands on one. Most likely whatever I end up getting I won’t be hunting with this year. I’d like to devote some serious time to just shooting and working on form, etc. So I’m certainly not in a rush, just waiting for the right bow at the right price to come along

Isaacorps

Columbus
Well I finally did it, I found the right bow at the right price and pulled the trigger. After shooting everything I could get my hands on in my price range and as many different brands as I could (PSE, Bear, Hoyt, Diamond, Mission, Bowtech, Elite) I always kept coming back to and comparing everything to the Mission MXR. I don’t know why but above all that one felt the best, shot the best, and seemed like it “fit”. I found an absolute steal on one like new on Archery Talk and ended up making a deal after talking to the seller extensively. Made the deal Tuesday night and it was on my doorstep this afternoon (take that, Prime 😆). I took it immediately after work to the local shop to get it fine tuned and fitted and get some arrows cut and I’m in business! I got it dialed in at 10 yards and will work on the other distances this weekend. I can’t thank you guys enough for all of yours tips and suggestions, y’all came through as usual!
71B8E366-095C-49AB-87E9-0EC93C32507C.jpeg
14F2F737-DDBE-48C5-B967-52EE03416723.jpeg
ACF4241C-5CC6-4611-B440-800702FF53ED.jpeg