Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best time to hunt over pond

DocE1848

I hunt this farm. Farmer planted beans again this year. The stand on the right is over a mineral site I started this year. There’s another guy who hunts this farm as well. One of his stands is around where the top marker is, he typically hunts the N-NW area and has been out there longer than I have so I have stuck to the S-E portion of the farm not to intrude on his space.

He told me he won’t be hunting this year for personal reasons and to feel free to utilize his stands if I want to. The far north marker is a good stand location in front of a small clear cut leading up to the pond.

Since I haven’t explored this area I have no trail cam photos or any real information in regards to movement on that side of the woods and he doesn’t either since he didn’t scout or do anything this season. I’m lenient about exploring the area because I don’t want to add pressure to that area this early in the season.

At what point in the season would be best to go in and hunt over at that pond stand? I was thinking when the rut starts since cruising bucks would get thirsty (in more ways than one) but I’m not too experienced with having a legitimate water hole to hunt.

Looking for some insight on the best time to hit that spot. Thanks

B16A550F-7036-48EE-BF94-9BC3FAFF9201.jpeg