Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Big Damn Tracks

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Now.. I've seen a bunch of dogs in my 30 years on this earth.. Seen a bunch of tracks.. These tracks here that Alex (TripleA88) and I found back in the swamps last weekend tops them all.. I don't know...

I guess the tracks to be right at about 5.5 inches long 4.75 to 5 wide. You tell me..

Big Something2.jpgBig Something3.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks about the size of Hank's paw prints in the mud. I wouldn't get overly concerned yet. Hank has huge paws but is only about 70lbs. You take someone with a Rotty, St Bernard, Mastiff, or big Shepherd and I can foresee it in the mud. Maybe Great Dane?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looks about the size of Hank's paw prints in the mud. I wouldn't get overly concerned yet. Hank has huge paws but is only about 70lbs. You take someone with a Rotty, St Bernard, Mastiff, or big Shepherd and I can foresee it in the mud. Maybe Great Dane?

I've been around a bunch of dogs in my life.. And a bunch in the swamps also.. These however made me stop and take pictures with my jaw hanging down.. Trust me, a give or take a 5.5 x 4.75 inch print is bigger than you think.... The neighbor had a 170 pound Neopolitan Mastiff. He came close, but I wouldn't say quite that large. It also beggs the question of what such a dog would be doing in the middle of a 300+ acre swamp, maybe 1,000 acre woodlot and a mile from the closest house.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am not sure what dog it would be. I am curious now. I will measure Hank's prints in the mud tomorrow. You have me wondering.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Like the bitches say: big feet, big...

That must be true, because after doing the math on that triangle (assuming it's a right triangle of course) on the first picture......joe's thumb should measure 5.59" long! And I have always heard a good rule of thumb is that a pecker is 2x the length of your thumb......that gives ole' Jackalope a measurement of over 11"!!!lmao Maybe he should change his name to "donkey":smiley_crocodile:

Seriously though John, I mean Joe, those are some big tracks and they highly resemble the above wolf tracks in the mud from British Columbia.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That must be true, because after doing the math on that triangle (assuming it's a right triangle of course) on the first picture......joe's thumb should measure 5.59" long! And I have always heard a good rule of thumb is that a pecker is 2x the length of your thumb......that gives ole' Jackalope a measurement of over 11"!!!lmao Maybe he should change his name to "donkey":smiley_crocodile:

Seriously though John, I mean Joe, those are some big tracks and they highly resemble the above wolf tracks in the mud from British Columbia.

We'll bud... They don't call me Mr. Ed because I can talk... :smiley_crocodile:

Hand2.jpgHand.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Interesting set of tracks, man. Friggin big, whatever they are from. It's crazy you posted this because a buddy and I found a big set of tracks last weekend while shed hunting, too, that looked eerily (sp?) similar to the pics you posted up here. We took pics with my hand beside them, and my hands are damn near identical in size to yours... I'll have to get him to send me the pic if he's still got it on his phone, and post it up here for comparison. The set we found were in a creek bottom at the covergence of three ridges, right were the woods funnels down into some ag fields. My first thought was dog also, but we too were in an area that was pretty far away from any houses and such.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Very interesting, I have not seen the elusive shankapotamus leave tracks that far away from a golf course!!! j/k, seriously though them are some huge tracks!!! one of the farms I hunt has one of them big white sheep dogs and his tracks aint even close to that size, couldn't tell ya what made them but whatever it was it is fruggin huge!!