Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Big Snapper

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Ok you perverts (Swantucky).....this isn't what you probably were thinking here.

Last weekend the kids and I set some turtle lines. We got 2 nice snappers, the biggest was this beast which was 20lbs! Cleaned him last night and got exactly 10lbs of meat.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Damn Chad, I was hoping for a big picture of a snapper that looks like a large roast beef sandwich from arby's turned on it's side.

:smiley_chinrub: ... now that I think about it, I'm glad you were talking turtles!

Nice one you got there!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
More fond memories of my youth and Grandfather. Setting lines for snappers. (sigh)

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Nice

Dante and myself seen a big snapping turtle a couple weeks ago and I asked him if he wanted it. I was willing to climb down into the small drainage ditch to grab it but neither of us wanted to mess with cleaning it.

If I find any other big snappers you want me to catch them and put them in a bucket for ya and meetup and drop it off ?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Nice

Dante and myself seen a big snapping turtle a couple weeks ago and I asked him if he wanted it. I was willing to climb down into the small drainage ditch to grab it but neither of us wanted to mess with cleaning it.

If I find any other big snappers you want me to catch them and put them in a bucket for ya and meetup and drop it off ?

Thanks for the offer man, but don't worry about it.....I'm going to set a few more lines this weekend and get a couple more. It's too much work cleaning very many of those turtles anyhow......but I don't mind it. The good thing about turtles is you get a lot of meat off them, so you don't need much to get a few good meals.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
More fond memories of my youth and Grandfather. Setting lines for snappers. (sigh)

Same here....when I was a lot younger we would catch a lot of turtles. I was really doing this mostly to get the kids involved and away from the house.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
When do turtles lay eggs??

They normally lay them in the late spring, like late May/early June. When you see them along the roads that is when they are traveling around laying eggs. But as screwed up as this spring was with the cold and rainy weather for extended periods of time, the first turtle I cleaned the other day still had some eggs in it, I believe it was about a month late.

Further proof of this is the fact that several bullfrogs we cleaned last weekend still had eggs in them also.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
I couldn't remember .....old lee hoblet use to say he wouldn't trap turtles til after the 4th of july bc of that.....just couldn't remwber if it was before or after the 4th.....is your wife excited that your cooking her a wonderful dinner of turtle and frog legs with ice cold beer to wash it down.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I couldn't remember .....old lee hoblet use to say he wouldn't trap turtles til after the 4th of july bc of that.....just couldn't remwber if it was before or after the 4th.....is your wife excited that your cooking her a wonderful dinner of turtle and frog legs with ice cold beer to wash it down.

She tried some turtle, and won't eat frog legs....more for me right?