Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Birds and yard critters

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
My only inconvenience is with racoons... One or two of them will empty it overnight.

Creamer

Athens
Damn orioles are eating grape jelly faster than a school full of kindergarteners. I did a 50/50 "smoothie" of jelly and water, so they are now getting something closer to a skim milk version of jelly.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I’ve never heard of grape jelly being used. How’s the other critters with it out there? Fly‘s and other things like gnats?

Reactions: Big_Holla

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
The orioles we're all over the hummingbird feeders so we put out a plate of grape jelly and they do like it! So far no ants or bees messing with it.

Creamer

Athens
Other birds will eat the jelly, too. As for ants, if you have one of those little water containing hooks, ants can't get past them. If not, thread a dixie cup or something weather resistant onto the pole, seal the bottom off with silicone, and fill it with water.

I also made a 50/50 grape & water slurry yesterday, was going through a jar a week. Funny story: I ran out of jelly last year and the wife was going to the Dollar store so I told her two grab 2 jars. She gets there and there's no grape jelly on the shelves, lots of strawberry etc. but no grape. She know the manager and asks why no grape jelly, he tells her "the crazy oriole feeders buy it all, I keep it in the back." She asks him for 2 jars and he gave her 2, she didn't tell him it was for the orioles.

I'll be darned if we didn't have two sets of orioles feeding in the flowers on our crab apple tree by the kitchen window. They were in them just like the bee's were. So I got the bright idea of putting out a dish with grape jelly in it and now we have democrat orioles waiting for more!! :ROFLMAO: Actually my wife is working right by the side window where the bowl is out on the bird feeder and she says they are visiting all morning long. She's happy, they're happy, we are all happy for grape jelly! :LOL: Thanks for sharing that little tidbit of info!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
C2BEE050-DC69-40D3-8115-925AD437EEFE.jpeg
CFDE435A-8C34-4909-8A01-A8941312F889.jpeg

This is what the wife has. The center section where the hanger is, has a cup that holds water and prevents crawling critters from getting too the nectar. The holes where the birds drink through, have little rubber thimble like pieces that allow them too drink, but prevents the bees from getting anything.
This is the second full season we’re doing it and they’ve always hung around hitting them throughout the day. She has 2. Front and back porch/deck.