Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Birds and yard critters

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How about critically endangered Mississippi Sandhill cranes. A non-migratory subspecies of the standard sandhill crane. They're nesting in the marsh behind my neighbor's house and walk up in the yard all the time. Supposedly there is only about 150 of them left. The US F&W came out a week ago and removed some of their eggs as apparently, they're pretty stupid. They leave one egg for them to raise which they usually fail at and incubate, hatch, and release the rest.

20230411_182448.jpg

20230420_114416.jpg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Mornin!

Video description:

I had a doctors appointment first thing this morning and just got home to check to see what's been going on this morning here at home. This video will show just some of the wildlife festivities that occurred while I was away.

I hope you enjoy and thank you for watching!

Reactions: Bowhunter57
I've tried a hummingbird feeder a few times with no success. 🙄 As for other "critters", I prefer not to invite them close to the house, as it leads to them getting into things, chewing on wires and bird shit everywhere. o_O Just the same, I have a good population of rabbits, squirrels and an occasional deer or two.
As long as I keep the stray cats thinned out, the wildlife has a good chance. :sneaky: The SSS rule is applied here.
A couple of years ago, this guy was just 150 yards west of the house.
B1.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A few hummingbirds and still no purple martins. House has been occupied by same little brown birds like every year since I’ve tried attracting PM’s. I’ve seen them at houses in the area that have had them for several years. Sigh🙄🤣

Reactions: Stressless

Jamie

Ohio
A few hummingbirds and still no purple martins. House has been occupied by same little brown birds like every year since I’ve tried attracting PM’s. I’ve seen them at houses in the area that have had them for several years. Sigh🙄🤣
If you want to attract Purple Martins, you have to get their house cleaned out and keep it clean and unoccupied very early in the spring when the scouts and juvenile males start looking for a place to start their colony. If the house is full of sparrows or starlings or whatever, they won't stay. It is a pain in the ass to do as you probably have to go clean it out every other dang day. We had Martins come and inspect the house many times, but none ever stayed. We gave up on the Martins, but we have Tree swallows that moved into the Martin house 10 or 15 years ago, and they have come every year since. They are nice birds to watch, too, and often live with or near Martin colonies. Nancy and I have sniped dozens of sparrows and starlings off of the hanger that the gourd houses hang on to help out the Tree swallows over the years.