Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Boats, Beaches, Bars

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Awesome pics guys! Where was it you all went? Where on the gulf side? We usually stay in Destin or Ft. Walton area. We're going TOO Myrtle again in mid July so thanks for getting me all jacked up for it! That pic is of a dolphin! I know because the dorsel fin has a bow to it and sharks typically have straighter edges. Sharks backs are straighter as well and are not exposed like dophins when they cruise or break the surface.IMO

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Those pics make me anxious to go to the beach...We are going to Myrtle in the first week of August....Too bad noone I am going with Fishes or anything...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
experts don't need to prove the obvious.

hahah.. Ok. I'll spill it... Dolphins have horizontal tails.. Sharks are vertical.. The majority of the time when you see a shark fin, you will also see his tail..

Now on to the hard one..

Is that actually a dolphin or is it a porpoise. lmao

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Another neat fact is the ones around us had a family with a genetic defect. Their dorsal fin was split. The porpoises were everywhere :) Most "dolphins" you see in tourist destinations are harbour porpoises.

I was in the surf fishing and felt a good amount of water moving behind me when it shouldn't... I looked over my shoulder and saw two HUGE black shadows in my peripheral vision. Talk about tensing up! Then I saw the round noses and bodies of two manatees. I could have tried to ride one, literaly less than a foot away from me. One part of me said TOO touch it, the other said "don't move a muscle".

Beentown

Beentown

tuffshot

The Crew
I am thinking I need to get the old Norton out of the garage and throw her in the truck. i think cruising the area on a 74 Norton Commando sounds like a lot more fun than picking sand out of my butt crack!

Sure would like to see a picture of the Norton!
We got back from Myrtle Beach last nite, will try and load some pics after todays yard work.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not a great picture, but here is a dark picture in the barn. Better picture of the Triumph Trident 750 I had all cleaned up. Have since sold the Triumph. This is when I first bought the Norton tuffy. I have since done some polishing and had to swap the mufflers. In the process of adding a few things in order to make it a little more reliable. i.e. Electronic ignition in place of the points

Attachments

• DSCN166200010001.JPG
    DSCN166200010001.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN167200010001.JPG
    DSCN167200010001.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 81

tuffshot

The Crew
Great old bikes, Hicks!
Glad you at least held on to the Norton. What a classic.
Always thought I wanted a BSA but they had a lot of carb issues. The guy I knew growing up had at least 3 at one time and was always working on them to keep one running /lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great old bikes, Hicks!
Glad you at least held on to the Norton. What a classic.
Always thought I wanted a BSA but they had a lot of carb issues. The guy I knew growing up had at least 3 at one time and was always working on them to keep one running /lol

It isn't just the BSA's. It is just a character trait of old British bikes. The Amal carbs can be finicky and the Lucas electronics can be as well. I don't think too many buy them for their reliability. You have to like to tinker a little if you are going to own one. When you figure these bikes are as old as me, then it just adds to the need to tinker. lol