Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock and Mason ‘19-‘20

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The decision is made. We leave Saturday morning for Colorado. We will hunt Sunday evening if I can still drive that far straight through. I’m out of practice so it’s entirely possible that won’t happen. I’ve got way too much stuff ready to go and need to weed a few items out since it’s a remote mountain camp. I think Mason will be amazed by the entire experience. I certainly hope so at least because from my perspective, it’s a lot bigger pain in the tail to get the thing together than it was when I just had to get my stuff together. Lol. They grow up so fast. I’m really happy to be able to do this at least once before he flies the coop.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Keep up the good work, Dad. If Mason ends up being a piece of dookie it is NOT for lack of effort and positive influence on your part. I see Mason being a fine human being though. You're doing great!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Heck yeah guys!!! Looks like he’s ready! Please get a video of his facial expression and adrenaline flow if you get one bugling as he’s coming in! That has to be as big a rush as it gets....

Reactions: brock ratcliff

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
What an awesome trip for Mason and you, Brock. Enjoy the time and memories made. Kill or no kill. I do feel sorry for a bull that Mason likes. That release goes off and something gonna die!

Reactions: brock ratcliff

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I feel like I should tell you guys how this trip came about.
Before Mason was born, I was pretty darn good with a longbow. At the time I was a few years into a new truck driving job that allowed me more time off than I’d ever had. I was only working 5 nights a week and only running to north west Indiana every night. The 60 hour work week felt like a part time job.
With all this free time, I was able to shoot all the IBO National shoots as well as the World Championship. I did well. I had fun. I met a lot of good folks.
Being a creature of habit, while working I would stop at the same places every night for a drink, to take a leak and to BS with the same people. One night in Indiana I see this FedEx driver that I didn’t know but he looked awful familiar. I finally put it together that I had seen him at the Bedford IBO. We struck up a conversation and became good friends over the years. His name is Steve. He lived and ran out of Columbus where he had grown up but he had also live in Colorado before I met him. About ten or twelve years ago he moved back to Grand Junction where he still lives. For as long as I can remember he has invited me out to hunt with him at his high elevation camp. I never made the trip as I knew he was a serious elk hunter and I never wanted to be a detriment to his success. And I truly believe I would be because no easterners get around worth a dang at 11000 feet.
Jamie and I put in for N.M. tags this year. I haven’t been there in nearly 10 years. In that time, NM has made it very difficult for nonresident hunters to draw a tag. We didn’t draw, of course. Steve insisted I bring Mason out to hunt with him. At this point, I can’t say no. Although he’s still a serious hunter, I know he wants to help Mason kill an elk. I know he enjoys being in the mountains and like me with deer, he just wants to hunt and could care less who is actually shooting. It isn’t about killing, it’s the whole experience. And as we age, we all know with each passing year, this chance could be the last. Steve is my friend, I don’t have many, and I’m really looking forward to taking my boy across the country to meet him... and we will hunt a little too.
Here’s a couple pics. I remember him sending me this pic about ten years ago. It was the first bull he killed after moving back to Colorado. Although he went out every fall when he lived here, this one seemed special since it was the first resident tag filled, I think. The other pic he just sent this weekend as he went up the mountain to set up camp He said it’s nice to set it up beforehand because the simple task of getting it together at that altitude wears a man out! Lol
I should add that Steve told me after 35 years of bow hunting elk, he’s become pretty good at finding and calling in big bulls. He said he hoped to get one in front of Mason and I was quick to let him know the boy will shoot any legal animal! If he gets all picky like he is with deer, I’m leaving him on the mountain.
D59864AF-0E3D-4871-8DA8-CFEA3F29D313.jpeg
E1FD9C3D-99BB-4754-A718-9F82BCC33677.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Another quick “Steve” story...
Anyone that knows me would know I still have and shoot a Mathews Switchback. I bought it when it was only a year old, from Steve’s brother Harry. They were driving back to Ohio from elk hunting when I called them to see how they did. The topic of the bow came up and Harry said he had one he’d sell me (for 300 bucks, almost free) since he had bought whatever that years model Mathews was. Harry lived in Louisville at the time, Steve in Columbus. We had a pizza joint in Washington Court House and that is where I was when Steve pulled his truck into the lot, still packed with a quad in the back... Harry had gone on to Louisville, Steve to Columbus and then without even taking a rest or unpacking, Steve and Harry met in Cincinnati so that Steve could bring the bow to me! Think about that... they just drove across the country for crying out loud and then made the extra effort when they had to be exhausted! Mason could not be having his first elk with a better guy.