Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason 2018-2019

LonewolfNopack

The woods
These your pups brock? Wish I knew you had them sooner, I have a ton of places to run them, although doesnt look like you are low on rabbit numbers on any of your places.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yes they are Seth.
I managed to get out of work this morning so what was I to do? I called a couple of my buddies.... the pups did great today. We only saw 8 rabbits in the gawd-awful thicket my buddy owns. He said there were all kinds of rabbits but we sure didn’t see the sign to indicate it. Still, the pups only lost track of two of the eight and we killed six after nice runs. Fine way to wrap up a fun bunny season. If my numbers are correct, the pups accounted for 37 dead rabbits in their first season. They are gonna be good ones.
46D14778-1F76-41DC-A959-C40EB4B0BD80.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Shot some 3 D with Mason this morning. I took my longbow, shot it reasonably well. I’m not back to top form yet but getting there. Mason burned the course up with his Halon X Comp. He was a little shaky to start since I just put the yardage scale on his bow this morning but he did settle in nicely. I gotta believe he’s about as good as any 15 year old shooter alive but we won’t know that for sure until we make it to some ASA or IBO shoots.
766E62EF-9E9F-4193-8F53-39A827C3176D.jpeg
2F26688A-E1BD-4BCC-9BA4-48D501F527FC.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That will be cool to see how he fairs against other his age. I doubt there are many In the country with as many reps as him. I wish him the best!
I’m looking forward to seeing how he does. I’ll say this, locally he can shoot with any adult in any known-yardage class. He needs a little work yardage judging beyond 40. In the IBO high school age open class, 40 yards is the maximum. Generally, he is close enough with yardage estimates to keep it in the ten ring. The 11 ring is sometimes more elusive. If we shoot tomorrow, old dad is taking a compound and a pocket full of smack talk. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Killed some foam today with Mason and his buddy Kade. We shot an IBO type course at Apache. First time I’ve shot the long stakes that wasn’t known yardage in a long time and it showed. Mason had never done it so guessing yardage was all knew to him. He beat me. He is better judging yardage than me, it’s not even close. I only broke one shot all day that didn’t feel perfect and I only shot a 275. Mason shot a 285, good enough for third in the men’s open class, and that was with a run of three bad shots before I figured out what he was doing wrong. Not too shabby. Kade shot a 255 with his recurve. For those of you that have never shot a 3 d course with a recurve, that too is pretty dang good! We had fun, came home with all our arrows and learned old dad can’t judge yardage worth a crap anymore. :)
3A57CEF5-690F-46F6-B846-BE6FF6BE339E.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I found this pic that to me is a great example of yardage judgment errors. This is one of the very few that Mason missed the yardage on. That’s his gig-dollar arrow at the bottom, my cheap one at the top and Kades arrow in the middle. Mason was about 5 yards short, I’m 5 high and Kade was on the mark. I thought the target was at about 45 yards, Mason estimated 35.... Kade’s stake was around 20. Mason and his should have shot his stake. :). Rangefinders are probably responsible for more dead deer than compound bows.
09EF88D8-775D-4AEE-A817-3AFE075C6861.jpeg