Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason 2018-2019

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Tonight's hunt was much better. I saw the two bucks I'd seen this morning, along with another dink. The big fella was a no-show. Additionally I saw a dozen antlerless or so. Lots of fun had tonight in the comfort of my Turtle Blind... I'm learning to love that thing. It was downright balmy in there and no deer had a clue I was anywhere nearby. It's a very enjoyable way to watch deer. I'll be back at it for a couple hours in the morning but will not be able to hunt tomorrow evening...bummer.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I saw nothing from the blind this morning so before completely giving up, I snuck through 100 yards of bedding area. I could have killed a bedded doe at 20 steps. Unfortunately, I bumped a deer that I didn’t see from the same location that Madison and I bumped my target buck Sunday evening. I still have no idea how it picked me off when it did. I’m done until tomorrow.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Catching up....
Thursday morning I waited until first light to do a little road scouting. Deer everywhere across the road from where I’ve been hunting. It’s higher ground so I’m lead to belt the flooding has played a role in my rather poor season.
Thursday afternoon I snuck into a piece of standing corn on that side of the road. I could have killed three does. No bucks seen. At 330 I headed for my Blind Turtle. I got situated comfortably and didn’t have long to wait. A decent buck came across the ditch and gave me an opportunity precisely where the bigger deer was spooked from on Tuesday morning. I didn’t hesitate. He was facing me. Shot him squarely between the throat patch and brisket. He was dead before he hit the ground. I used the rangefinder from the carcass to the blind, 127 yards. Saw another doe while checking out the dead buck. I’m done with deer for now.
I’ll be pheasant hunting Monday.
043B55E7-010C-449F-9077-C6FFC11E057D.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We spent most of the day shooting bows and catching up on chores. My buddy Clint still has his buck tag. He coaches a girls basketball team and had practice until 3 today so after that mason, Clint and his son Ike took up stands while I pushed out a thicket where I know a couple of bucks have been this week. Mason and Ike have both filled their buck tags so of course the buck came out of the thicket between them. Clint so nothing. I’m going to probably set up the Turtle for him to late season hunt from on a neighbors farm if he doesn’t kill one beforehand.
My buddy Tony will be here at 730 in the morning to chase pheasants. Ruger is still hurt, so I’ll be sure to take it easy on him. I’m calling the vet for a steroid shot tomorrow. Whatever he’s done is not healing as quickly as it should.

Reactions: Mike

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Hell yea! I follow all your posts, almost a stalker I must say!!!!!!! Always great to see you and Mason knock a great one down! Congrats and I look forward to seeing some birds taken!!!

Reactions: brock ratcliff

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My buddy Toney and I went to the pheasant fields for a bit this morning. We saw three roosters, a hen and five deer. We killed a rooster each thanks to Ruger. He’s still having trouble so I’m taking him back to the vet this afternoon. Fun morning.
750498B7-9F96-4C20-AD3D-49D7DD0F4CDB.jpeg
8858B55B-D2FF-405C-AF07-583C9C84D06C.jpeg
5B83F4D1-FDC7-482D-8FE6-3DF329A285BC.jpeg
EE4FFAB3-5169-493F-9BCF-2B89094F3AE1.png

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They are plentiful anywhere there is cover. Unfortunately, there are not many places around here that have suitable habitat either. But, I’m fortunate to have access to some The piece we hunted today is only 120 acres but it is attached to several hundred, maybe a thousand acres that look exactly as the stuff pictured. There is a ton of wildlife in that neck of the woods. I didn’t even know all of that even existed until last season. When I found it I knew I’d hit the jackpot. I’m always working on gaining more access and I’m on the edge of getting into a bunch more, I think. Ruger, sadly, is gonna need a few weeks rest and a healthy dose of steroids. Hopefully that will fix him up.