Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason 2021/22

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
C1E8CE1F-5DD6-4CA3-9E45-B9A4A93D0EAE.jpeg
44E262F7-3542-42BC-943F-AA06A76423A2.jpeg
31D8206E-DB9A-4626-9CD3-21BBBA31C95B.jpeg

These youngsters are on our property. I’ve got a couple others of about similar size too. I just got access to hunt the field directly to the south of our woods, which is awesome for early season because that field is planted in second crop beans. Our property is just a giant thick bedding area with open oak ridges on the east and west side. I’m willing to bet if I set up on that beanfield early season, I’ll see all these bucks. Unfortunately, I don’t think any of them make me want to shoot. Due to a high wall and other terrain features, it feels like a slam dunk set up. I really hope something a little bigger shows up because I’d really like to kill one out there since it’s now “our place”.
Probably going to check a couple cams tomorrow where I know there are some better bucks and it’s on a solid early season spot. Plus I spoke with the landowner the other day and he said he would do a little bush hogging for me in the next couple weeks which essentially turns a bottom field by my stand into a food plot. Lots of residual clover there and when it’s freshly cut it’s an exceptional draw.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
FC1AB095-9CD2-4E4A-9D03-52BDA2C80FDD.png

We are a month away, but as of right now this 7 point is my opening day gameplan. There is an old 8 pt, same class antlers hanging here too. I’d be happy with either. We’ve got a couple years history with both. And they are in a spot Mason and I have had some pretty decent opening weekend hunts.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sure did! There were several poults with ‘em. I was quite surprised to get pics of turkeys in this spot. I’ve used this for an early season set up since Mason was 11 and have never gotten a pic of a turkey in there. It’s only a couple hundred yards from where I killed my bird this spring but it’s always seemed to be void of birds. Not the case now. They have come through everyday for a week so I’m sure there is a reason though I haven’t figured out why.

Reactions: switchhitter

Jamie

Ohio
View attachment 134118
We are a month away, but as of right now this 7 point is my opening day gameplan. There is an old 8 pt, same class antlers hanging here too. I’d be happy with either. We’ve got a couple years history with both. And they are in a spot Mason and I have had some pretty decent opening weekend hunts.
I think he needs another year.

:D

good luck and I hope you get him. I saw a couple of hens with 10 or 12 poults at my place today. first ones I've seen, and they were actually in the neighbors front yard, ran into the briars on my side of the fence when they saw me as I was pulling in.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think he needs another year.

:D

good luck and I hope you get him. I saw a couple of hens with 10 or 12 poults at my place today. first ones I've seen, and they were actually in the neighbors front yard, ran into the briars on my side of the fence when they saw me as I was pulling in.
Not many get another year from me... 😁

Reactions: Stressless

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Sure did! There were several poults with ‘em. I was quite surprised to get pics of turkeys in this spot. I’ve used this for an early season set up since Mason was 11 and have never gotten a pic of a turkey in there. It’s only a couple hundred yards from where I killed my bird this spring but it’s always seemed to be void of birds. Not the case now. They have come through everyday for a week so I’m sure there is a reason though I haven’t figured out why.
Cicada hatch?

Fletch

Supporting Member
Nature is strange... Northern NJ I did not hear or see one, yet my son's an hour South of me and he said they were a PIA... And even further South and West in Harrisburg Pa... My friend I hunt with said they were the worst he's ever seen... So go figure ..

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’ve enjoyed a few hours on our place today. I added a gravity feeder to the back ridge. Filled it full of a magic potion. It’s not a spot we will likely ever hunt, but it’s close to where a lot of deer bed I’ve been getting a bunch of daylight buck pics there over a salt block. Fun to get out and goof off over there.
B2BBF84E-468E-4C13-A02B-54DAFF0B694C.jpeg
E9F069F9-BF97-4CD1-8C8D-428A0AC300D5.png
4C556028-9276-48A7-9453-7A38FB77D021.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Since season has been in a couple weeks I think it’s time I catch up a bit on this thing.
Opening weekend I hunted one evening. I saw four does. I stopped by the landowners house to chat on the way to hunt. He said something that ticked me off. Probably shouldn’t have, but it did. I was pretty hot about it by the time the sunset so I pulled all my crap and left. I haven’t been back and have no plans to. He’s been in the shop and asked if I’d been seeing any deer, to which I replied that I haven’t been on his place since opening day. He seemed surprised but didn’t inquire further and I didn’t feel the need to say anything else regarding the matter.

So that had me in a mood for a couple weeks. I went out to our property one time. There were deer under my stand when I arrived. They bounced off and I climbed up. An hour or two later two does came off the hill in front of me and milled around under my stand until just before dark. Since then, I’ve not been hunting. Just checking cams and shooting my bow in my free time.
Last night I went up to Fayette for the first time all year. I hung out with the landowner a little longer than I should have. I ran back in the truck to check the creek crossings, they didn’t look very heavily used. The entire farm had beans on it and they had been harvested early... not looking good at first glance. So I figured I’d sit in the fence row since I had nothing better to do anyway. As I walked across 500 yards of cut Bean field, I notice there are young beans popping up. Maybe three or four inches tall. I’ve never seen this in a cut field... interesting. I thought the deer might enjoy that...
So just before getting to my stand I see a dandy young 8 point feeding in one of the Bean fields 100 yards or so from my stand. Somehow I managed to make it to the tree and up it without him seeing me. I wound up seeing 10-12 deer before sunset. Three small bucks.
Tonight I planned a short hunt at our place but changed my mind last minute. I drove back up to Fayette, went to my stand and found a doe feeding about the same place the buck was last night. She caught me. No matter. Had a fantastic sit. I saw 20 deer. Five bucks. Some young bucks harassing does. Just a fun sit. I even saw our favorite resident doe and true to form, she picked me off. There were 12 deer standing there, 11 had no clue I was there, but she did. She is 8 or 9 years old now, and I wouldn’t shoot her if she kicked me. 😁. So I had a blast tonight! Mason will be home next weekend so I’ll probably have a dead deer story before long
699115A3-53F4-44CB-ACD7-C7AAD9DE645D.jpeg

Stressless

Keene, OH
Brock, the elephant you mentioned but didn't I.D. ... wondering what the landowner said to put you off and him either not having a clue, or pretending not too.

I know I have said something sometimes that gets taken out of context or otherwise goes sideways.

You didn't elaborate earlier so maybe thats best but ... it's a curiosity as you seem to come across as a pretty open solid individual.

Best of luck in the hunt.

Reactions: Big_Holla

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I shouldn’t have mentioned it. It would be a long explanation on my part to convey why it ticked me off. Too much effort. Just suffice to say, I do not want to hunt there now. No big loss. And I will never bother explaining my absence to the landowner because I’m sure he did not intend to set me off, but he did.