Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason 2021/22

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nov 5 was a day I’ll remember till the end. I didn’t hunt. I worked all day. About 8pm, with business booming, I was stricken suddenly with an awful pain. I left the shop and went directly to the ER. It was a long miserable night. The end result being I was transferred to Chillicothe and scheduled to have a kidney removed due to cancer. They did the surgery Monday. Came through it alright and would be getting along fairly well if it were not for my knees swelling and hurting like heck. Went in and had one of them drained today and a steroid shot in. It feels a little better. Anyway, this isn’t a whining post, just an update as to what happened to my hopes for a fun rut. Things never do go as we hope, they just don’t. Fortunately, that only applies to me.... I come up with a plan for my kids and by the grace of god it works out- thankfully!😁

So trying to look forward, according to the surgeon, I’m 8 weeks from drawing a bow at a minimum. Now, I don’t believe he really understands how a bow is drawn, so I don’t really believe it will be that long before I test the water. Regardless, I’m likely to be looking at late season with a crossbow. So today while laying around watching TV, I saw a show up in Canada where Cody Robinson was hunting in the snow, from a blind, with a crossbow. Yes t gave me a renewed hope, something to hang on to. I needed that, and I’m looking forward to seeing what I can do this winter. Probably won’t be too many updates in the coming weeks. I’ve always enjoyed going back years after writing these journals to see what Mason and I were doing ... it’s enjoyable to reminisce.

Man Brock I hate to hear this
A crossbow in January will be fun!
Don’t rush things it might make recovery longer
You got turkey in the spring
And walleye, perch in the summer
Following along on your adventures has been a blast
Actually meeting mason this year was great such a well spoken humble young man
You did very well raising him.
And you guys have many adventures left!!!
Get well and get back at it

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Wishing you nothing but the best brock in everything! Get will soon and I look forward in seeing you getting totally back on track with regards to all your hunting endeavors once again. Take good care!

Reactions: brock ratcliff

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
E20C403C-25E6-4F53-A81F-4F644FD485C5.jpeg

This is the guy that I watched walk under my fence row stand along with Masons buck a few days before Mason killed him. Mason will be home this weekend.... might have to have him help me get to the woods.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks, Seth!
I’m gonna hunt that deer in the morning. My surgeon said I can’t draw my bow. He also said I can’t lift anything heavier than 10 lbs but if I could get someone to cock a crossbow, go hunt as long as I could handle the walk. I’m feeling good with no dope. I’ve got the perfect spot picked out for a ground assault. We may just get a shot at him if I can make the walk. I’m excited boys. A week ago I thought I was gonna die and never get a chance to go to the woods with Mason again- I plan to go to the woods tomorrow morning and there is a real good chance we may catch a real good deer. Feeling pretty doggone blessed right now.