Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason 2021/22

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Glad you’re doing better Brock. Good luck with that bruiser. Sounds like the prognosis is good?
Thanks! I have no idea what the prognosis is at this point. I have an appointment Monday. I believe I’m supposed to find out the next course of action then, but I’m not certain. The surgeon told me post-op that he didn’t know anything more after the surgery than he did prior as the mass had to be sent off for testing,etc. Tge immediate positive is that the nagging back pain I’ve dealt with for a number of years is gone. For as long as I remember, if I laid in bed more than a couple hours, stood still, walked, or sat down in pretty much any combination, my back would hurt. Since having the kidney removed, I can lay in bed a full 8 hours and get up back pain free. That’s a real bonus.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
73DE74E3-F77C-4B9B-94BA-771A43EB3895.jpeg

I’m gonna need to find another one to hunt when I get back around to hunting.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I made it to the woods Saturday morning. It felt great! I saw four deer, one small buck. It was a beautiful morning. I didn’t over do it, hunted close to the truck with no intentions of shooting anything. It was perfect.
Today, Mason and I spent the majority of the day scouting a piece of archery only ground at Deer Creek with Townzen. He had put in for the drawing and tagged me as his partner. We had a horrible time finding a live tree to put a stand in but the place seems to hold a lot of deer. We found a nice buck that had caught a piece of lead in our zone, apparently shot from the road. It is laying 30-40 yards from the tree we put a stand in... crazy and a shame. The place is ours for the next two weeks. We are allowed to stack does and that may or may not happen, but my broad heads are sharp and I’m shooting my recurve well which surprised me considering it has been nearly a month since I’ve been able to shoot. The doctor said 8 weeks, but I felt no bad effects from my practice session. Hopefully Townzen and I will be able to fill a few tags, doesn’t matter if we don’t, really. I’m looking forward to getting out a few times on a piece where there are actually a surplus of deer.
AAD8FCE3-016A-4E61-885C-B3F8250E1EA1.jpeg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Glad to see this brock! Best of luck to you guys!!

I know that beautiful park is just chuck full of deer with some real good ones with antlers too. Some of those places in there are real thick with those darn thickets, that I do know for a fact. I will be following along and hope to see that you tag at least one!

Enjoy!

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Good updates Brock! Happy to see you in your happy place and feeling better! Sorry to see your target buck got killed, but I know you and Mason will find another few in a short bit to hunt.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It was a good day for me. Townzen and I rode up to Deer Creek. I hunted a the stand we set up Sunday, right where that big buck came through last night. I saw somewhere around a half dozen antlerless deer. Townzen got skunked but his cell cam was sending him big buck pics from just over the hill. Three of em. Dandies. He’s hunting down there tomorrow. I’m going back to the same stand.
I shot one too... shot twice actually. The first shot was absolutely perfect. Unfortunately at thirty yards on a dead still night, 180fps is too slow. I figured she would be gone before it got there, and she was, but she came back. Second arrow was effective, she didn’t move. She leaked a lot and only ran about 70 yards. Townzen did all the heavy lifting, We went to the truck for the game cart which made the 100 yard drag back to the track fairly easy for him. Good to have friends willing to help!
It was pure fun. First deer I’ve killed with my Black Widow. It did a fine job. Sorry about the bad pic. Maybe I’ll get a better one tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2686CB33-ABDC-4BC2-9C17-46E7AF5E8164.jpeg
    2686CB33-ABDC-4BC2-9C17-46E7AF5E8164.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 121