Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Browns fire Mangina

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I said it yesterday, he will be gone today. Can't say I am shocked but I was pulling for the guy this year after the way we finished up last year. He will move on, sign with another team and freaking win 2 Super Bowls.

So who are we going to hire guys??

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That was a dumb move to let him go IMO and I'm not even a browns fan. I think if he would have been given another season or 2 he would have made a heck of a team. I realize the Brownies got their asses handed to them vs their biggest rivalry team but it's still ridicules if ya ask me.

I don't get why the NFL teams are so quick to fire the head coaches now. They don't give them time to finish building a team before a new guy is brought in and starts dismantling and rebuilding his way. No wonder some of the teams suck year after year. Just seems a little TOO much to continuously be building and never win.

Miami and Cleveland seem to have a new coach every year or 2 at the most. I just don't get it.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I said it yesterday, he will be gone today. Can't say I am shocked but I was pulling for the guy this year after the way we finished up last year. He will move on, sign with another team and freaking win 2 Super Bowls.

So who are we going to hire guys??

Mangini's ouster with two years left under contract seemed set long before Sunday's 41-9 loss, and the rout certainly didn't help his cause with Holmgren, the Super Bowl-winning coach who may return to the sideline.

Holmgren will address the media at 1 p.m.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Cleveland-Browns-fire-head-coach-Eric-Mangini-010311

rrr

I think that they need to stick with a coach longer than 2 years, but I think that hiring Mangini was a bad idea from the beginning.

I am not a Browns fan, but they certainly could be good and are improving, they just need to put it together. Colt "Pick 6" McCoy is still very young and will be good, Peyton Hillis is good, Cribs, Robeski, Joe Thomas...those two kids that are playing in the defensive backfield. They are building and just need the right leadership and some good moves to make it. Getting rid of Wenslow and Edwards was a good decision - but they need another name of big name talent and they need to make good draft picks, a constant plague for them.

Schu72

Streetsboro
How can you expect someone to change a team in two years?
Stupid move

In two years he still hadn't figured out that you must score more points than the other team to win. Kicking field goals from the one yard line is more demoralizing than going for it and getting stopped. At least you would could go down swinging!

Here's a little more to noodle on.

Mangini released or traded:
Kamerion Wimbley now starts for Raiders 8-8, had 9 sacks. That's more than any Browns player
Braylon Edwards and Brodney Pool both start for the NY Jets who are playoff bound and beat CLeveland.
Kellen Winslow and Sean Jones both start for Tampa Bay who beat Cleveland and went 10-6.
Jerome Harrison for Mike bell???WTF
Most of these players are starting for Playoff teams or teams with winng records, but they weren't good enough for the Browns?:smiley_blackeye:

And I almost forgot he signed Robert Royal???

Milo

Tatonka guide.
McCoy came form a slot reciever dominated offense...the least they could do is get a decent slot receiver for him to hook up with. ..Mccoy has replaced the slot reciever with a tight end. they need some work but could get there. it never seemed to me the line communicates like other teams on blocking schemes either. they need to get some quick guys in there that can run away from people even if they are 5'9". the defense needs to start over. OLD linebackers, lost defensive backs and under developed interior linemen....1 good outside linebacker could change things for them

Diablo54

Outside
In two years he still hadn't figured out that you must score more points than the other team to win. Kicking field goals from the one yard line is more demoralizing than going for it and getting stopped. At least you would could go down swinging!

Here's a little more to noodle on.

Mangini released or traded:
Kamerion Wimbley now starts for Raiders 8-8, had 9 sacks. That's more than any Browns player
Braylon Edwards and Brodney Pool both start for the NY Jets who are playoff bound and beat CLeveland.
Kellen Winslow and Sean Jones both start for Tampa Bay who beat Cleveland and went 10-6.
Jerome Harrison for Mike bell???WTF
Most of these players are starting for Playoff teams or teams with winng records, but they weren't good enough for the Browns?:smiley_blackeye:

And I almost forgot he signed Robert Royal???
I wad pretty upset about the field goal kick yesterday. If i would have been on the offence i would have been pretty upset about his lack of trust. Braylon edwards is a head case. Mike bell is really stepping up also but im not going to say hes as goid as harrison.
Your overlooking haden,ward,hillis,mccoy.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Schu72

Streetsboro
I wad pretty upset about the field goal kick yesterday. If i would have been on the offence i would have been pretty upset about his lack of trust. Braylon edwards is a head case. Mike bell is really stepping up also but im not going to say hes as goid as harrison.
Your overlooking haden,ward,hillis,mccoy.

How am I overlooking them. Three of them were from his years draft, which was run by Heckert, not Mangini. Also if I remember correctly Holmgren was the one with the final say on drafting McCoy. I think you are forgetting that last year statistically was the worst Browns season in HISTORY, at least thats what Tony Grossi and Jim Donovan were selling. He was also involved in the George Kokinis debacle and alienated players like Rogers and Edwards before his first season ever started. He couldn't decide between Anderson and Quinn for an entire year....its no wonder he's unemployed.

BTW .... I'm a season ticket holder, so I'm paying for his mistakes!

Last edited:

Matt

Norton, OH
McCoy came form a slot reciever dominated offense...the least they could do is get a decent slot receiver for him to hook up with. ..Mccoy has replaced the slot reciever with a tight end. they need some work but could get there. it never seemed to me the line communicates like other teams on blocking schemes either. they need to get some quick guys in there that can run away from people even if they are 5'9". the defense needs to start over. OLD linebackers, lost defensive backs and under developed interior linemen....1 good outside linebacker could change things for them

I agree with that, and I would also add that after watching Roethlisberger just rain on our inside flat yesterday, we need some inside linebackers who know how to catch their reads correctly and not bite on the play action. Almost every big pass they threw yesterday was a dump pass in the flat. With nobody within 20 yards of them. I stopped watching after the first 5 minutes of the third quarter, but I doubt anything changed. Haden has to get his head on straight too, or that guy needs to go.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Tough to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Mangini might not've been the right guy for the job. Maybe he was... We will never know, but nobody wins with that team this year. Were they improved since last? I think so. The defense played very well at times.
McCoy will be a quality starter in a few years if the Browns don't give up on him too soon. I was at his first start against Pittsburgh. He imopressed me. He's a tough little fuggar. He took some shots yesterday! But look at his receivers vs. the receivers Ben has (or many other teams). If McCoy is to be succesful they better get somebody to catch the ball. Robiskie is average at best.

Hillis is as tough as they come. So I think the running game is set. Get some skill weapons on both sides, including those linebackers, and you might have something. Next year won't be any better no matter who is coaching unless they get some playmakers other than Cribbs.

Diablo54

Outside
Great points shu. But i still think we will have repeated ourselves and are making a repeat of the belicheck years.

Matt

Norton, OH
As far as Cribbs goes, I think he was a bit flat this year. Did he even run one back? I might have missed it... He was mediocre at Kent State, and somehow managed to make an improvement jumping to the NFL. But maybe that's because he wasn't cut out for QB.