Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buck Forage Oats

whitetail_joe

Not to doubt you store owner idea. But I doubt very much a well know seed company would just repackage regular winter oats and call it something better. Too risky to be caught at for a well known company. IMHO

I know years ago I would buy biologic brassica blend and on the bottom label where it tells exactly what percentage and type of seed is in the bag it would say dwarf Essex rape for example. A smal bag under 5 pounds would cost $20+ and have a very small amount of brassica. While at the feed store I can get dwarf Essex rape for $1.25 a pound. Nothing special about most seeds in my opinion. Put a big buck, hot chick, or words like magnum on a bag and watch them sell you a seed blend that is 75% wheat and oats and 10% brassica or clover, and 5% weed seed all day long at crazy prices.

themedic

OHIO
News showed 30% rain for 4 out of next 10 days in my area. I'll be putting seed in the ground tomorrow morning

themedic

OHIO
Got the last of my plots in today and then it down poured! Ended up buying regular forage oats and threw in all the seed I have extra. Giant mixed bag plots. Should be interesting.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Here is what my Doe (Buck) Forage Oats look like. They seem to be growing great and the does love them...no bucks. I'm not sure what oats should look like though. My Heartland Wildlife Buck Buster Extreme isn't doing much. The only thing growing out of the whole mix is the oats and a few turnips. No forage beans or brassicas at all. Very disappointed in that seed mix.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I hunted over the oats last night. 10 does fed in them for over an hour. They actually fed in the Heartland Wildlife (Buck Buster Extreme) oats more than the Buck Forage oats. Both look great. Only the oats came up in the BB Extreme plot though.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
IMG_0454.jpg

This is a photo of the Buck buster extreme oats with 2 fawns bedded in it. This is also my first uploaded pic not using photobucket. Just testing and learning.