Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Burning a hole in my pocket...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
OK boys... I've got 75 bucks worth of Cabelas gift cards right now, and it's just burning a hole in my pocket. Only problem is, I can't decide on what to buy with it. So I need some assistance on this one. I've been considering the Petzl TacTikka XP headlamp... but I don't exactly need a headlamp since I already have one. If you had 75 bucks to spend at Cabelas right now, what would you buy? It needs to be something related to deer hunting.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
JB, save it for something BIG.
You got everything you need I'll bet .

But if I were forced to spend $75, I'd get another pair of boots and rotate them with my other pair

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
JB, save it for something BIG.
You got everything you need I'll bet .

But if I were forced to spend $75, I'd get another pair of boots and rotate them with my other pair

I am going to learn you something other than "fucktard". If the boots are only $75 they ain't worth a fuck unless you get them from the "bargin cave".

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good point. Are you just looking to spend the $75 or are you willing to add some to it? I was thinking much like Dannmann. I am considering adding another pair and rotating boots a bit or just using my current Muck boots for scouting and adding a "hunting only" pair. The other pair I have are more for cold weather only.

Personally the only thing other than another pair of boots I could use is a few more sets of pants/shirts. I have a few sets, but you can never have too many. I try to wash them all at the same time since i go through such a ritual of conditioning the washing machine and dryer. I would like to try some of the wind/rain proof fleece gear. Just haven't spent the money yet.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There really isn't anything that I truly need... so I guess the right thing to do would be save it for something big... but damn, I have a hard time holding on to extra money LOL. Any other suggestions?

Buckmaster

Portage
I had the same issue last week. I ordered two more pairs of boots. 2000 grains. Hopefully I'll have some warmer toes in the near future and can sit longer in comfort.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
There really isn't anything that I truly need... so I guess the right thing to do would be save it for something big... but damn, I have a hard time holding on to extra money LOL. Any other suggestions?

OK, this is easy....pick something BIG you want and are saving for at Cabelas, then you'll know the dollar amount you need to accumulate.
Then do your gift cards like lots of people do with their credit cards when they have no self-discipline....put 'em in a cup and fill it with water then stick it in the freezer. Then you'll not be able to do the impulse thing easily. And saving for something bigger takes the mental burden off of "these can't just sit around, I gotta use 'em now!"

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A North Face would be at the top of my list. It's layering gear, right ?

North Face = yuppy gear, Steve. LOL jk. :)

Under Armour...

Under Armour was definitely a thought. I've owned UA in the past, but not for hunting (baseball)... and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with it. However, that was about 5 years or so ago, so maybe it is much better now than it was then.

OK, this is easy....pick something BIG you want and are saving for at Cabelas, then you'll know the dollar amount you need to accumulate.
Then do your gift cards like lots of people do with their credit cards when they have no self-discipline....put 'em in a cup and fill it with water then stick it in the freezer. Then you'll not be able to do the impulse thing easily. And saving for something bigger takes the mental burden off of "these can't just sit around, I gotta use 'em now!"

Good advice... the only problem is, when I try to think of something "BIG" from Cabelas that I'd want, the situation becomes even more difficult because there are more big things than small things that I would like to have. If given enough time, I'm sure it will eventually come to me though.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
The thing with UA is you gotta be smart how you wear it. If you are layering with it, you need way less layers than what you think you do. If you sweat in UA walking into your stand cause you have too much on, then sit down and cool off, you will prolly get cold. It's all about preference, but I love the stuff.

If I had $75 to blow right now, I would buy a new pair of rubber boots. I'm going this weekend to find me some Lacrosse Alpha's and see how I like them.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Speaking of boots... currently the only hunting boots I have are 18" rubber boots (Cabelas Duratrax). I really like these boots and they've treated me well the last couple years, but I've always wanted a pair of lace-up hunting boots for the early season, or situations where I know I'll do a lot of walking. Today I received the latest sale flyer from Cabelas... by chance, I noticed a pretty good looking pair of boots that are going to be 50 bucks off. Regular price 149.99, but 99.99 during the sale period. Here they are... http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat605298&hasJS=true

boot.jpg

They look like great boots, and I've always had good luck with Wolverines, but what do you guys think. Are a pair of lace-up boots and integral part of your hunting gear? Would I be happier hunting in a pair of these vs. rubber boots? I think I probably would be.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I use lace ups in the ealry season. Rubbers are just to hot and heavy for that time of year. I bought mine @ Dicks. Gortex with scent loc for $70 on sale. They have done very well.

Beentown

OK boys... I've got 75 bucks worth of Cabelas gift cards right now, and it's just burning a hole in my pocket. Only problem is, I can't decide on what to buy with it. So I need some assistance on this one. I've been considering the Petzl TacTikka XP headlamp... but I don't exactly need a headlamp since I already have one. If you had 75 bucks to spend at Cabelas right now, what would you buy? It needs to be something related to deer hunting.

Good socks if you dont have them..Or some slick tricks..If you dont have them..

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I use lace ups in the ealry season. Rubbers are just to hot and heavy for that time of year. I bought mine @ Dicks. Gortex with scent loc for $70 on sale. They have done very well.

Beentown

Ditto on the lace ups for early season - I bought an uninsulated pair just for the early season this year because I was smokin hot last year in my rubber boots w/400gr thinsulate. I been wearin 'em scouting and squirrel hunting and very happy I did it. Those ones you're looking at have 800gr, might be warm for early season, I don't know. maybe someone else does. but they look like great boots at a good price if you get 'em on sale.