Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Calling all grass experts

P8riot

Carbon, In
Any idea what kind of grass this is? I plan on giving it an initial cut and then "dethatching" which will be more or less just getting all the dead crap out of there. I have a few bare spots and I would like to try match whats there...but I have no idea what kind it is

Screenshot_20230312_231324_Gallery.jpg
20230312_110757.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm not the resident grass expert as I've never smoked it, but I know a couple things about lawns and turf. 🤣

I'm not sure where Carbon is or what the soils are. I would suspect it is a bluegrass blend or a shady mix which would be a lower percentage bluegrass. Some local ag offices have an agent who is a available to point you in the right direction, but I'll try. Shady mix will work in full sun and seems to blend fairly well.

Whatever you do: do NOT put down crabgrass preventer if you plan on doing any seeding. It will prevent new grass seed from germinating alongside the crabgrass it is trying to kill.

• Haha
Reactions: P8riot and Hedgelj
I'm trying for years to figure out how to replace all my grass with moss so I can walk in my bare feet and NEVER mow. Trouble is I'd probably have to vacuum it...
The local stadium was replacing the artificial turf with new since the old was laid wrong. There was a giant dumpster full of rolls of it. I didn't want to vacuum it so I delayed grabbing some. The thing was empty the next day. I'm sure game rooms all over town have it laid in there in front of their wide screens.

P8riot

Carbon, In
From a fellow woods member, clover is your friend.
Thats what I was thinking too. White clover? I may just overseed the entire yard and have a mix of grass and clover. I have read that both thrive when mixed.

I think I missed the time to plant it this year. I may do that next winter for the frost seeding season in late January. I have some areas to prep anyway because they are fairly overgrown. I will slowly get those hacked down (weedwack and then lawnmower when low enough since I never did get that tractor 🤣) over the summer in preparation for winter seeding. I've been keeping an eye out for a nice used rough cut mower locally.

Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Thats what I was thinking too. White clover? I may just overseed the entire yard and have a mix of grass and clover. I have read that both thrive when mixed.

I think I missed the time to plant it this year. I may do that next winter for the frost seeding season in late January. I have some areas to prep anyway because they are fairly overgrown. I will slowly get those hacked down (weedwack and then lawnmower when low enough since I never did get that tractor 🤣) over the summer in preparation for winter seeding. I've been keeping an eye out for a nice used rough cut mower locally.
White clover is the safest bet for honey bees. There are other types but some have their nectar too deep for the bees to be able to get to do they cannot use it.

my $0.02

P8riot

Carbon, In
White clover is the safest bet for honey bees. There are other types but some have their nectar too deep for the bees to be able to get to do they cannot use it.

my $0.02
I definitely want to help the bees. We need them and they are having a real tough go at it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I zoomed in on the pic. You have what appears to be a smorgasbord. Hard to tell while zooming in and on dormant vegetation. Definitely some crabgrass. Probably bluegrass, rye, and fescue. Also what appeared to be tiny clover starting to grow. No different than a food plot, soil samples will be helpful moving forward. That goes for grass or if you want to do clover or food plot type lawn cover. Not sure what exactly you are looking for at this point. Most customers want the clover to disappear. 🤣

Reactions: P8riot