Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Canoe Outrigger Project

Due to my wife's inability to sit still, lack of coordination and the possible loss of my fishing gear...I've built some outriggers for my canoe. I have yet to paint them, but plan to do so and use the same color as the canoe.

Stuff List:
* 2 street 45s
* 2 4x4x2 tees
* 4 4" pvc caps
* pvc glue & cleaner
* 1 5' section of 4" pvc
* 1 2' section of 4" pvc
* 1 5' section of 2" pvc
* 2 2" pvc caps
* 1 8' section of square aluminum tubing (ourrigger arms)
* 1 3' section of perforated steel tubing (cross bar)
* 2 2"x4" clamps
* 2 2" pipe hangers
* 4' section of treated 1x6 (for the blocks under the clamps)

I have yet to test it, but am expecting it to function well...well enough to keep my wife's butt dry and my fishing gear too. :smiley_blink:

Pipe hanger clamps.

Gunnel clamps.

Cross bar section.

Canoe Cart and Outriggers.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

only thing i could see to make it better , or easier , using wing nuts on your gunnel clamps for easier and quicker set up , are the pvc hollow or did ya put anything in them like spray foam or something to help with bouyancy

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
only thing i could see to make it better , or easier , using wing nuts on your gunnel clamps for easier and quicker set up , are the pvc hollow or did ya put anything in them like spray foam or something to help with bouyancy

Since the tube is rigid and not flexible; air is actually more buoyant than spray foam, as the foam will add weight.

uglycat26,
I kept the entire pvc cavity air tight and empty. The wing nuts are a great idea! I'll need them on the pipe hangers too, as the pontoons have to be removed and stored in the trunk of my Civic, during transport.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Looks good, I have been saying I was going to build some. Yours look easier than what I was thinking. Have you ever looked at sponsons?? I think that is the name, basicly foam that attaches at the waterline.

swantucky,
The sponsons would add bouancy, but not the "preventative" stability that I'm attempting to achieve.
I've got around $52 in the pvc, alone. The cut measurements are 12" for the front section of 4" pvc and the rear section is 16". The 2" pvc is 16" also. The overall length is 42".

I'm searching some local metal shops for a piece of 1 1/2" x 3" rectangular channel aluminum (2 channels), to use as the cross bar section. That way I can slide and pin the outrigger arms (extend and retract), along the sides of the canoe. This wold be better than having to bolt them in place, each time they're used. It would make it easier to get the canoe with the outriggers on it...in and out of the water. :smiley_chinrub:

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
C'mon Daniel. Just get a tackle box that floats and leave the Mrs to fend for herself. hahahahahhaa

Just to mess with you, have you used the canoe yet? :smiley_crocodile:

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I thought the sponsons were supposed to add some stability too?? Not near as much as outriggers but maybe enough??

I was looking at your pics a little closer and thinking how I could do it a easier. The gunnel clamps even with wing nuts would drive me crazy, I would drop one or both of the nuts. When I ran a trolling motor on my canoe I made a pressure treated wood bracket that held both the battery and served as the motor mount. I used a big set of vise-grip clamps to hold it and it worked great holding the heavy battery and motor. Maybe easier than the wing nuts.

Phil,
I've had the canoe out once...with my brother and he got a bit silly in his seating and pert near dumped us both in the drink. I said some bad words and then reminded him of the 3 rules of canoeing. :smiley_asswhip:

1. Keep your azz on the seat, at all times.
2. Watch which way you're slinging those fishing hooks.
3. Keep your azz on the seat, at all times.
:smiley_beard:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phil,
I've had the canoe out once...with my brother and he got a bit silly in his seating and pert near dumped us both in the drink. I said some bad words and then reminded him of the 3 rules of canoeing. :smiley_asswhip:

1. Keep your azz on the seat, at all times.
2. Watch which way you're slinging those fishing hooks.
3. Keep your azz on the seat, at all times.
:smiley_beard:

Funny! Is this the brother I met? I think I could see that happening. I think I would be the same way though. ahah

Phil,
I only have the 1 brother...and yes, that's the one you met.

I'm already altering the cross bar section of my design. I'm installing 2 larger sized perforated steel bars in the cross section, instead of the single small one. This will allow the outrigger arms to be retracted and pinned, instead of fully extended all the time and bolted in place.

I should be able to post some pics as soon as the silly weather lets up. :smiley_chinrub:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Phil,
I only have the 1 brother...and yes, that's the one you met.

I'm already altering the cross bar section of my design. I'm installing 2 larger sized perforated steel bars in the cross section, instead of the single small one. This will allow the outrigger arms to be retracted and pinned, instead of fully extended all the time and bolted in place.

I should be able to post some pics as soon as the silly weather lets up. :smiley_chinrub:

HAHA you said silly. Just don't call me sailor ;) I kid...I kid... lmao

Beentown

I'm already altering the cross bar section of my design.
Well, I'm altering it again. :smiley_armscrossed: All the hardware that it takes to hold everything in place has become a pain in the azz. I spend more time assembling the outriggers than I care to mention.

Since I know the depth I want the outriggers to be and how far out I want them set, I'm switching to a 2x6 deck plank 6' long. This system will be infinately easier to install, quieter, stronger and lighter in weight.

I'm still in the process of gathering materials, so I'll have to post the finished project, when it's completed. :smiley_blink:

I must say, that I DO like the outriggers and they're well worth the project time/money to have on the canoe. The stability difference is VERY noticable...so much so, that 1 person can stand up and stretch, etc.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I hardly use my outriggers. They always seem to get in the way. It does make it more stabile but mine is so freakin big that I don't really need it. The only time I really use mine is when I am carp shooting by myself.

Beentown

Buckrun

Here is how I would cure the problem. Take the wife out on a joy ride. About the time she starts rocking the boat just go ahead and dump it. Then blame it on her.

Now she will either set still or let you go out and enjoy your canoe trips alone. LOL