Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Canoe transportation???

I have a Honda Civic and transporting my canoe on top of my car is great and easy...IF there are 2 people to load and unload it. I use 4 foam pads that lock on the sides of my canoe, cinch it down and away I go. The canoe weighs 80 lbs. and is 14'6" long.

However, loading and unloading it by myself is another issue. :smiley_chinrub: I've considered purchasing a car roof rack for the top of my car, but that would mean I'd have to load it in an upright position. Not a problem, I guess, but I've never seen or heard of anyone carrying a canoe in an upright position.

I suppose, once I have the canoe loaded, onto the car roof rack, I could flip it over, cinch it down and be on my way. The possibilities of damage to my canoe and/or my car are endless...IF this isn't done correctly.

Any suggestions, video links or other creative ideas, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I load mine by myself 90% of the time. I have racks on my SUV. I get it to the car, flip it over my head, set the tip on the back support crossbar and push it forward. I do lay an old sleeping bag across the hatch/roof area before the rack just in case I come up short. Probably doesn't help on a car much. I believe a roof rack helps alot. You don't have to worry about them moving.

Beentown

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Eat more Wheaties.. :smiley_baby:

Riddle me this one.. 12 foot kayak... 6 foot bed...

Beentown,
I think you're correct in the roof rack idea. It would be a start in the right direction and there are several means/methods to get the canoe up on it, from the ground.

Oddly enough, I found a roof rack for my car at Auto Zone, for $44.99, made by Highland. I'm gonna order it today and it should be in by Thursday.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Well, I did away with the loading rack idea. I purchased one at Auto Zone, but it was one of those "universal" models, so I took it back. I was NOT impressed with the clips that were supposed to "secure" it to my car. :smiley_armscrossed:

Instead, I'm using 4 rubber-backed throw rugs to lay on my roof, rear window and trunk deck. It works very well and with minimal effort. Once the canoe is on top of my car, I flip it over and put the foam blocks under it (that I originally purchased with the canoe) and pull the rugs out. I have to flip the canoe over on the rear portion of the roof, due to the sun roof glass, but it works great...and no scratches to the car.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Last edited: