Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CCW and Handguns

rrr

My dad and brother finally took their CCW course on Sunday at Blackwing Shooting Center in Delaware. They said it was very good, a little long (9-9) but they felt it was worth the month. I think it was like $180 which included range time, not real sure.

My brother bought a Walther PPK .380 three years ago and though it got recalled, it's a nice little carry gun. He's a skinny sob but since he wears a suit every day and carries a bag with him, it will be perfect. Dad has an MP compact 9mm, likes it, but doesn't want to carry it since it doesn't have a safety (the safety models came out like a month after he bought it). He is looking at guns again and would either like to pick up a used Colt Pocketlite (hard to find) or probably will get a S&W 380 Bodyguard, their new .380 6+1 to compete with the Ruger LCP (which I have shot and didn't like). They both have holsters but will be looking into carry ones, etc.

I was wondering who else carried and what they carried? (Pictures would be sweet too!). In 86...actually 85 days I'll turn 21 and will be buying a pistol if not that day, when I come home after finals. I'm not sure what I want. I shoot bigger guns better but know that in my future profession I will be packing heat. The Beretta Px4 compact 9 is at the top of my list, I haven't seen the 380 bodyguard yet, and then there is that Sig .380 as well...that's not even including thinking about getting a .357/.38 wheel gun...gotta do more reading and get some recommendation from ya'll.

So if you don't mind sharing, what do you carry? Any good carry stories?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say MOST 380's are gonna suck to shoot. they are just too light and small for the power of the caliber. I have a LCP that is really accurate at close range. i can deal with the lack of shooting comfort for its performance. I would suggest looking at the Kahr 9mm. those guns are light and a bigger framed for ergo... i held a 40 and it was a bit light for the power of the 40 but it would be perfect for the 9. you will be amazed how well they conceal as they are very thin. my next pistol will be a Kahr 9 for sure. Of course I have the Kimber to really square things up..:smiley_bril:

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I carry a full size Sig 9mm - SP2022 - without a safety. It fits my hand nicely. I wouldn't recommend carrying a gun for protection that has a safety as it's just one more thing to remember in a stressful situation. Eventually I want to get the XDm .45 as my main carry piece. I have shot the Sig .380 and fell in love with it...it would make a great piece in a pocket holster for my front pocket as a backup. I've also shot the LCP and hated it as it wants to jump out of your hand. The Sig .380 has a great grip and a horizontal recoil which eliminates the feeling of it trying to jump out of your hand.

A word of advise: if you plan to carry inside the waist band, save yourself some money by spending a little extra and buy a Cross Breed holster. You'll thank me once you realize how well made and comfortable they are.

Also, check into taking the Utah CCW class if you intend to travel outside the state and bordering states. Also, once you get Ohio you can make s copy of your license and mail it (or drop it off) along with your app and fee to a sheriff office in PA and get your license there too.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I let my CCW expire for a few reasons, but plan to take course with Tracie this winter. I'll be getting an XDM .45 to carry and I'll be buying her a .380 to carry. Right now, I take a Sig 226 with me when I'm on a mission. ;)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My dad and brother finally took their CCW course on Sunday at Blackwing Shooting Center in Delaware. They said it was very good, a little long (9-9) but they felt it was worth the month. I think it was like $180 which included range time, not real sure.

My brother bought a Walther PPK .380 three years ago and though it got recalled, it's a nice little carry gun. He's a skinny sob but since he wears a suit every day and carries a bag with him, it will be perfect. Dad has an MP compact 9mm, likes it, but doesn't want to carry it since it doesn't have a safety (the safety models came out like a month after he bought it). He is looking at guns again and would either like to pick up a used Colt Pocketlite (hard to find) or probably will get a S&W 380 Bodyguard, their new .380 6+1 to compete with the Ruger LCP (which I have shot and didn't like). They both have holsters but will be looking into carry ones, etc.

I was wondering who else carried and what they carried? (Pictures would be sweet too!). In 86...actually 85 days I'll turn 21 and will be buying a pistol if not that day, when I come home after finals. I'm not sure what I want. I shoot bigger guns better but know that in my future profession I will be packing heat. The Beretta Px4 compact 9 is at the top of my list, I haven't seen the 380 bodyguard yet, and then there is that Sig .380 as well...that's not even including thinking about getting a .357/.38 wheel gun...gotta do more reading and get some recommendation from ya'll.

So if you don't mind sharing, what do you carry? Any good carry stories?

You think he had a hard go. I took my Ohio and Utah class in one day. 12 hours for Ohio and 4 more for Utah. something like 38 state legal though.

I carry a Taurus Millennium Pro Gen III in .45 acp. She holds 12 in the mag and 1 in the pipe in a sub compact. Don't ask me how they all fit. It still amazes me...

Weight: 22.2 ounces
length: 6.125 inches
width: 1.25 inches
height: 5.125 inches
6 groove 3.25 inch barrel with 1:16 inch rate of twist

Here is a picture to compare it's size. (top one)
Taurus.jpg
YEAH. There is 13 rounds of .45 in there!

It has 1 standard thumb safety on the slide but i don't carry it with the safety on.

The holster in a Bianchi Minimaliist.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have a few.

Springfield XD9 Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe holster
Beretta 92fs Milt Sparks VMII
CZ 82 Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe
Smith mod 60 Many holsters Mostly use a JIT slide holster

A couple of pics of each one:

Springer XD9

CZ 82

Smith Model 60 (my barb-q-gun)

Family portrait

Some insights I have come across...to come.

Beentown

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Here is a little run down for each gun plusses (? how do you spell the plural of plus?) and minuses..

XD9 - It was my go to carry gun. Very accurate, reliable and it has a great capacity (16+1). With my extra mag I have enough to fight off a small zombie attack (33 rounds). No complaints at all. I believe the safety is between your ears. Keep you booger hook off the trigger until you plan on firing.

Beretta 92fs - I carry it outside the pants with a cover garment usually. It is ok to carry with the Wilt Sparks but it is a bit too big. I carry it with the safety off with DAO for the first shot. Great gun but you need bigger hands to run it DAO because of a long reach to the trigger.

Smith and Wesson Model 60 - Great gun. Not enough capacity for me when considering what else I have available to carry. Fool proof. It is a nice little package. Hardly carry a revolver anymore.

CZ 82 - I think this is best gun on the market for the price. I carry it more often than anything else now. It can be fired in DA or SA. SUPER SWEET TRIGGER in both modes. It is small package with 12+1 rounds that is about perfect ergonomically. You can pick one up like mine for $219 right now. With the crossbreed holster it just disappears. The cartridge may seem odd to you but it is very popular over seas. I purchased a thousand rounds for $197. HP's are only $12 a box. It is 9X18 which is right between 9mm and .380

Crossbreed holster are the best out there IMHO. I think I am the one that recommended it to HL...cough... I mean Jeremiah Johnson.

Any other questions let me know,

Beentown

Magnum

Ohio
There is no one perfect CCW gun. I very the gun based on the clothing, situation, etc.

My smallest is a NAA .22 Mag revolver. Its very small and you hardly notice it in your pocket. Is .22 Mag big enough. Let me shoot you in the face and then you can answer that. LOL. Better to be armed than not.

Second smallest is the Kel Tec P3AT. They have had their small .380s out for quite some time and the Ruger looks surprisingly like the KelTec. Its not a joy to shoot, but with a little breaking in, it shoots every time and with the right ammo, is a decent caliber.

Next up is the Kel Tec 9mm (P11). Same as the P3AT, just a tad bigger.

Biggest up is the Springfield XD 40 sub compact. I've yet to carry it or even shoot it. I haven't bought a good concealed holster for it yet. Probably get either a cross breed holster or a K&D holster.

As important is the gun is the holster. I have several for each gun. Again, different holsters for different situations.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Magnum,

Welcome to the site again. You hit on a point that I forgot to throw in....

THE BELT is the most important part after the big two (accurate, reliable) IMHO. I switched over to a belt made for carry and what a difference! You could carry my Saiga 12 on this belt.

Beentown

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Nice watch! What kind?

Top is an older Seiko Titanium. I think that is what it was. The bottom is a Seiko Perpetual Calender. The bottom one has been a beast. I am rough on watches and that one doesn't give up. I would get a new face etc...but they wanted $225 to repair it. Now it is my beater. I am a fan of higher end Seikos.

Beentown

rrr

The .380 is not bad in my brother's PPK, and not horrible in the LCP that I shot, I just didn't like that it was too small, my index finger sticks past the barrel and I couldn't hit shit with it, even close up.

Beener- can you give me more insight into your Beretta?

Jack- I've heard people talk bad about Taurus, any insight there?

And as far as the safety goes, I think I'd just feel more comfortable with one. I can pull my 870 and shoot something dead before I think about turning the safety off, it just comes naturally. (and I know Jack, it's a retarded safety unlike your 500's). I don't see why a pistol is any different - could be wrong though.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would say 75% of the time I carry my S&W Model 642 hammerless Airweight. I have been considering switching to something with more then 5 round capacity but haven't done it yet. I use the Galco Jakslide holster. It fits outside the pants but inside the belt. It conceals as well as anything on a 6' 170lb frame. I usually wear shorts and t-shirt so I am limited on my concealment options. In the winter I carry a S&W 6906. 9mm with 12 and one in the pipe. It does have a safety but I rarely have the safety on. I usually have a sweatshirt or flannel or carhart on in the winter so concealment is not as much of an issue. I am currently using the Fobus holster and I like how it holds the gun but don't like that it holds it farther away from my body. I am considering switching to something a bit lighter than the 6906 in the future. I will also be looking into different holsters. Might need to look up the crossbreed holsters. This is not the first time I have heard people speak highly of them.

Bottom line for you is shoot what you shoot well and is comfortable. Then plan on buying 3-4 holsters (or more) until you find the one you like the best. Pick a caliber and then narrow down your choices to nice carry pieces. Then shoot them to see what you shoot well and feels good in your hand. This might help you with your search.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The .380 is not bad in my brother's PPK, and not horrible in the LCP that I shot, I just didn't like that it was too small, my index finger sticks past the barrel and I couldn't hit shit with it, even close up.

Beener- can you give me more insight into your Beretta?

Jack- I've heard people talk bad about Taurus, any insight there?

And as far as the safety goes, I think I'd just feel more comfortable with one. I can pull my 870 and shoot something dead before I think about turning the safety off, it just comes naturally. (and I know Jack, it's a retarded safety unlike your 500's). I don't see why a pistol is any different - could be wrong though.

Yep.. They don't like the fact they spent 2-400 more on a gun that goes boom just the same... Will someone get a Taurus jam o matic sometimes. Yep, name me one pistol manufacturer that hasn't had some bad guns come off the line. Or a bad design that they worked out in Gen II... Someone with a 800+ dollar kimber will never admit their gun jammed, so in an effort to make theirs look better they run down lesser costing guns. Got to any gun forum and you will find people asking about a Sig, kimber, smith, and ever rugers jamming... Fact of the matter is Taurus has a Lifetime, no questions asked, transferable warranty. Send it back if it jams.. Today or when you're 80.

Taurus had some issues with the Gen 1 Mil Pro. They fixed them in Gen II and III. Fact is it was a cutting edge brand new design. Who could have ever thought someone could cram 12 rounds of .45 in a gun that is 6 inches long, 1.25" Wide and 5 inches high. Basically jamming 12 rounds in a box 1 inch by 5 inches once you subtract material for mag and grips.

Day 1 with my Taurus. I inspected it, function check and no cleaning. Took it to the range with 250 rounds of speer lawman (Law enforcement practice rounds.) Loaded the mags and proceed to put all 250 of them downrange as fast as i could. I was on the range less than 15 minutes.. Never hung the first round. No FTF or FTE. The gun was smoking from the factory oil. Literally smoking. I have put about another 1000 rounds through it and haven't had 1 FTF or FTE.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yep.. They don't like the fact they spent 2-400 more on a gun that goes boom just the same... Will someone get a Taurus jam o matic sometimes. Yep, name me one pistol manufacturer that hasn't had some bad guns come off the line. Or a bad design that they worked out in Gen II... Someone with a 800+ dollar kimber will never admit their gun jammed, so in an effort to make theirs look better they run down lesser costing guns. Got to any gun forum and you will find people asking about a Sig, kimber, smith, and ever rugers jamming... Fact of the matter is Taurus has a Lifetime, no questions asked, transferable warranty. Send it back if it jams.. Today or when you're 80.

Taurus had some issues with the Gen 1 Mil Pro. They fixed them in Gen II and III. Fact is it was a cutting edge brand new design. Who could have ever thought someone could cram 12 rounds of .45 in a gun that is 6 inches long, 1.25" Wide and 5 inches high. Basically jamming 12 rounds in a box 1 inch by 5 inches once you subtract material for mag and grips.

Day 1 with my Taurus. I inspected it, function check and no cleaning. Took it to the range with 250 rounds of speer lawman (Law enforcement practice rounds.) Loaded the mags and proceed to put all 250 of them downrange as fast as i could. I was on the range less than 15 minutes.. Never hung the first round. No FTF or FTE. The gun was smoking from the factory oil. Literally smoking. I have put about another 1000 rounds through it and haven't had 1 FTF or FTE.

This is rare but I have to disagree with Jack on this one. I have never had a good Taurus. I will not buy another product from them. I have had issues with every one that was mine. My Dad's is 100% (835 I think) and my brother has been 1 for 2. I had a Mil pro that was a complete POS...and it was the improved pro version or whatever they called it. Had an 94 with timing that would never lock up. Cousin had a 24/7 that went to the factory 3 times and they let him put it towards a 709 slim.... which went back to the factory (they did fix it and it has been 100% since). I have to say that there customer service does fix things but are 3+ months out. Tells me something. I am glad Jack got a good one but read the reviews and decide for yourself. I have heard that there QC has went up considerably. I am just not going to experiment and see when there are so many other options out there for a good price.

Ernie on the Beretta I would say pass for CC. It has been a great firearm for me but it is not ideal for CC. Great range and occasional OWB carry but that is it...plus it is pretty.

Most of the gun stuff is Ford/Chevy. Hell, my brother carries a freakin High Point. He hasn't had a single malf with it. I offered him a Glock 17 instead but he passed. Thing looks like a cheap power tool. Too each his own.

The best advice I have for you is to go to the Powder Room and rent as much as you can to see what YOU actually like. That is how I found the Springer.

Here are a couple of varied opinion reads on Taurus:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408285&highlight=taurus+problems

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394018&highlight=taurus+problems

Beentown

bowieoutdoors

*Supporting member*
I have a Springfield XD9. Excellent gun, shoots great and fits great in my hand. My dad and brother both give the CCW class so it was pretty convenient. My brother used to be an instructor at TDI (www.tdiohio.com) and my cousin still is along with being the SWAT commander for the local sheriff's dept there. He also owns his own business making tactical conversions to handguns. If any of you want to modify anything on your carry gun, he is the guy to call. Bowie Tactical Concepts is the name of his business. www.bowietacticalconcepts.com

Last edited:

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
the XD9 is the gun I want to get. Sure i could spend 200 on a Highpoint, or 250 on a S&W, but the XD fits my hand the best. So thats what I am holding out for.

I shot alot there for a while cause I got very serious about getting one, then a car issue came up and funds went away. I though the XD9 and the Glock fit me the best. One thing I couldnt get over was how easy the glock came apart for cleaning. I swear I watched the guy take it apart in 30sec.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
On Taurus.

I re-read my post and I sound different than I meant to come across. I have been burnt by Taurus so I am a bit bias. Shoot em all and let your hand sort it out!

Beentown

P.S. Customer Service can be an important component in a purchase. The companies that I know are good at service are:

Smith and Wesson
Ruger (no warranty but they take care of everything)
Springfield Armory
Kel-tec
Colt
Hi-Point

P.S.S Kahr has horrible responces for their customer service. I am still going to get one.

Last edited: