Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Chad's 2017 Yote Trapping

Oh My!!! I had to do that last year. Fortunately I grew up on a farm in PA and we had 50 captive deer, so it wasn't my first rodeo. If you aren't careful, they can kick the crap out of you. After my escapade last year, I modified all my snares and changed them to cable restraints with the breakaway devices. It didn't affect my catch rate, and may help if I get another deer.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Oh My!!! I had to do that last year. Fortunately I grew up on a farm in PA and we had 50 captive deer, so it wasn't my first rodeo. If you aren't careful, they can kick the crap out of you. After my escapade last year, I modified all my snares and changed them to cable restraints with the breakaway devices. It didn't affect my catch rate, and may help if I get another deer.
Wasn't my first rodeo either. Had to release a big doe last year. I was very careful so I didn't get kicked lol. That lil fugger this morning didn't put up much of a fight, but ran like hell when I let him go lol.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Checked a cam today that's right off my in-laws driveway on the top corner of the cut corn field. Got this bastard that came through last night, so I set a double. PVC dream pipe set with Welches mouse paste down the pipe, and yote piss on the grass. Dirthole with Clint Locklear's federales and a dab of Scott Rainbolts Frank's full circle lure. Something has to give on these foot holds, I've been at it for 3 years and haven't caught a fuggin yote.

OO2

In the Uplands
Do you leave the trap and pan exposed or do you cover them? I have a few footholds that I received and am looking at possibly using them to catch a yote or 2 where I can’t put a snare.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Do you leave the trap and pan exposed or do you cover them? I have a few footholds that I received and am looking at possibly using them to catch a yote or 2 where I can’t put a snare.
On that pvc set I did, only slightly covered with grass to break up the outline. I'm skeptical about it but that's what the guy does that came up with this set. All other sets i completely cover the trap.

http://www.coyoteu.com/pipedream2.html

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Did some walking around looking for yote tracks on my main farm today, only saw one set and set that trail. Then I drove to a small property that I shed hunted last year and asked permission to trap yotes, she gladly gave it to me and told me to thin them out lol. She's an elderly lady in her 80's. This property consists of 15 acres of thick river bottom and is perfect for snares. I only had 3 snares left in my backpack and I set all 3 on fresh tracks. Came home and reloaded the pack with 8 more snares for tomorrow morning.