Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Chardon HS Shooting

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I could see my Dad calling the School for me........ He'd tell them to whip my azz and send me home for another. Hell, If I'd of even mentioned taking a gun to school (for the wrong reason) I'd of missed hunting season until I got out of the Hospital and moved out...GUARANTEE THAT ONE!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can tell you when I was in school I got a couple paddlings as well. Thinking back, I am guessing they contacted my parents and my parents probably told them to go ahead and do it. Got it in elementary school one time. Don't remember what for, but I remember the spanking. Got it in junior high once for getting in a fight. The other kid was suspended. Nowadays what the kid was doing to me would be considered "bullying". I put up with a lot of crap from that kid for a long time because I knew the consequences of fighting in school. Now the kids don't really have any consequences. I will admit, it felt damn good to finally lay the kid out. I was always the smallest kid in school up until my junior or senior year. To fight back, black the eye of this kid, and watch him fly across the desk felt pretty good. I remember this much more than i remember the spanking i received for it. My point though is we behaved because there was a price to pay for misbehaving. Usually what we got at home was worse than anything we would get at school.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We REALLY behaved for that teacher with the big paddle with all the holes in it hanging behind the desk!

You know, we used to have guns in our trucks all the time because we were going hunting after school for deer, grouse, rabbits... whatever. Because of a few idiots, a kid couldn't even think about doing that today. Coud you imagine if someone went into the office saying that Mike has a shotgun in his truck? Poor Mike would have the entire police squad from 5 different counties on him in a heart beat.
It's good for a security reason, but that shows how muchj times have changed. Before when someone had a gun in their vehicle it was proudly displayed in the rear window gun rack for hunintg. Nowadays, who frickin' knows.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
We REALLY behaved for that teacher with the big paddle with all the holes in it hanging behind the desk!

You know, we used to have guns in our trucks all the time because we were going hunting after school for deer, grouse, rabbits... whatever. Because of a few idiots, a kid couldn't even think about doing that today. Coud you imagine if someone went into the office saying that Mike has a shotgun in his truck? Poor Mike would have the entire police squad from 5 different counties on him in a heart beat.
It's good for a security reason, but that shows how muchj times have changed. Before when someone had a gun in their vehicle it was proudly displayed in the rear window gun rack for hunintg. Nowadays, who frickin' knows.

I guarantee you if they still let teachers paddle that things around the school would be a little smoother. I mean, I'd still get my fair share of beatings or hits on the knuckle with a ruler, but I would think twice before acting out again.
And I guarantee you over half of my school has had a gun in their truck in the parking lot at one time or the other, but we know better than to hang them in a gun rack. And It's always because we were/are gonna hunt.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I remember taking a 22 pistol to shop class to work on it..... ATF would gun ya down now a days.
Everybody had gun racks in their trucks and guns in them TOO!

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Riverdude,
This is how rumors get started. :smiley_chinrub:

Here's a link to a CNN report at 8:25 p.m. this evening, that says 1 dead and 4 injured.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/27/justice/ohio-school-shooting/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Bowhunter57

Sorry 57, just freaking passing along information that I got from someone that lives in Chardon. Maybe your information is not up todate, maybe mine is wrong. Just passing along information from someone that lives there. Sorry, wont post any more about this, I will get it from the authorites that I heard it from. DANG!!! NO freaking Rumors Dude!!!!

Last edited:

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Dude, I got paddled because I didnt bring my gym clothes to school for 3 days in a row. Getting paddled taught kids that there is consiquences for their actions. Now days, they do what they want when they want and they get in zero trouble for it. i blame coddeling for the way kids are these days. send em outside to play, get em away fro mthe intenet and video games. BE A PARENT!! quit letting the WORLD raise your kids!

and the #1 thing...Bring God into your home.

Shoulder Blade

Yeah its tough with the internet, what to believe and all. Facebook updates are insane right now even though I lived in a neighboring town.

Riverdude said:
I know more then you do so don't call me out with your little...:smiley_chinrub:
Riverdude,
Easy...I'm not calling you out or bashing you. I'm glad you found a more updated piece of info. Thanks for the post. :smiley_coolpeace: It's very tragic and I'm sure everyone is praying for all the families involved, as this will effect a lot of people, whether they live in the area or not.

Bowhunter57

Buckmaster

Portage
I graduated in 89 and fondly remember taking my 12 gauge to school so I could rabbit hunt and/or deer hunt after school. I left in the trunk of my car and didn't tell anyone about it.
I also remember always having a pocket knife in my pocket. It's the same one I still carry today. Times have certainly changed.

Huckleberry Finn

I graduated in '08....remember a teacher making us guys stand up on Carhartt day (FFA week) and empty our bibs pockets on the table and out came the cans of chew, pocket knives, lighters, loose .22 rounds and shotgun shells. Watched a kid try to jump shoot ducks out of the farmer's pond across the road from the parking lot after school...the next day we put decoys in the pond and watch him crawl on his belly all the way to the edge of the water. But perhaps the best was showing up for a picture used by the State, one of those here's a state highway patrol car and officer, a cheerleader, football player, band member, etc...just happened to be the opening morning of turkey season. I showed up from the field in full camo and the officer asked me if I ditched my gun before I made it there (uh) and laughed. Principle asked if I was coming back to afternoon classes...

Probably the last country school in the state...or nation. Then again, we had a principle that would stand up after a senior read the second chapter of Luke and preach the gospel...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I remember carrying a pocket knife to school as well. NOT a country school. More a country club school. Man did I not fit in.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The gun, knife etc. isn't the problem. It is what is going on in the hearts and minds of people that they value life so little.

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
It is what is going on in the hearts and minds of people that they value life so little?

It must stem back to video games. Those "kill them all" games must "season" one's heart and mind. We see it on TV too. My 3 year old asks me, "Daddy, why did that guy shoot the other guy with his gun?". It's almost unavoidable. You see it on some preview commercials during relative wholesome television shows.

I grew up when Pong was the only video game available.