Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Chasing November Discussion Thread

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I really loved this series! I watched the entire series and it's one of the best productions I've seen out there!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I really loved this series! I watched the entire series and it's one of the best productions I've seen out there!

I agree. I have been fortunate to meet Jason Huntsman before, he shoots the giant in episode 14 (I think). Jason is a STANDUP guy, him and I will still trade texts occasionally. It was pretty cool to see a guy I tilled up food plots with before, drill a giant.

I haven't got the entire season done yet as I watch one a day while I am on treadmill after lifting. It keeps my mind off the shitty cardio session. Great season so far!

Jake_C

Definitely my favorite show. I like to learn a few things along the way, see why they are setting up like/where/how they are and also seeing some real life public land hunting.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wow, just watched them all and was impressed with the way the format is... Haven't watched a hunting show in years and they're much better then they were lol...

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
This. I cancelled the sportsman and outdoor channels from my satellite package because I can't hardly stand most of the shows. I was happy to hear Bill moved the show over to YouTube now.
One of the only shows I like on the sportsman channel is the Drury's. They still give some educational stuff. If I see fear no evil coming on that shit gets turned immediately, I can't stand that dude.

Jake_C

Yea I'm not a fan of any of the loud, obnoxious, TV shows. I'm sure they bring some youth to the sport and that's always a good thing. Just not my cup of tea.

Blan37

SW Ohio
I'm almost done with the first season, really enjoying watching them.

Only thing that left me scratching my head as a new hunter are some of the shots they took when the deer were quartering toward the guys. I was taught those were low percentage shots and not to take them. Guess if you really know what you're doing it's ok??

Also saw one shot from a tree stand that looked nearly straight down that I've been told is not a good idea.

Just wondering what the thinking is on those shots and if I've just been misinformed.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm almost done with the first season, really enjoying watching them.

Only thing that left me scratching my head as a new hunter are some of the shots they took when the deer were quartering toward the guys. I was taught those were low percentage shots and not to take them. Guess if you really know what you're doing it's ok??

Also saw one shot from a tree stand that looked nearly straight down that I've been told is not a good idea.

Just wondering what the thinking is on those shots and if I've just been misinformed.
Those shots should be avoided if possible, especially for a new Archer.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I noticed watching some Chasing November shows that some of them shoot without a D-loop. The attach the release just under the arrow. Why is this? Is it common? I've never seen that before or maybe just never noticed.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I noticed watching some Chasing November shows that some of them shoot without a D-loop. The attach the release just under the arrow. Why is this? Is it common? I've never seen that before or maybe just never noticed.

I wouldn't consider that common and personally, could not tell you why one would choose to do so.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I used to do this many years ago. Was the way I was taught. Wasn't until about 10 years ago that I added a d-loop. I do not know the logic behind it only my first bow was setup that way so that was how I shot.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
The D loop wasn't popular until the nineties or so. Heck, bowhunting in general has changed by leaps and bounds! Technology is a remarkable thing. When I got started, it was Bear Whitetail II and a Baker board climber for a tree stand! Lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The D loop wasn't popular until the nineties or so. Heck, bowhunting in general has changed by leaps and bounds! Technology is a remarkable thing. When I got started, it was Bear Whitetail II and a Baker board climber for a tree stand! Lol
You're old enough to be my Pa and I started with a Bear Whitetail II and a Tree Lounge! lmao