Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Check station issue...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
When telecheck comes into play does that mean that check stations go away completely? just wonderin......there's no way they can completely do away with 'em, is there? Better go steal one of them "deer check station" signs now and save it for American Pickers 2055.

There will still be check stations. As I understand there will be 3 options to check, telephone, internet and check stations.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
They are just adding the Tele Check as an added option/convenience to hunters.

Just an example.. A guy hits one close to last light and can't find it until a few hours later and all the check stations are closed tele check just gives him another option at his finger tips. I can see a huge advantage to the system in those cases. I know I have had that issue come up and had to keep the deer packed with ice and in a tarp until 9am the next morning just to load it back into the truck and drive it down the road a few miles to the check station. Let me just tell ya.. Every couple hours having to go slap more ice on a deer that could have been butchered and packaged then put in the freezer sucks.

Like JJ said, If you dishonest before your going to be after. I could have taken that deer butchered it and put it in the freezer and kept my tag but I didn't.

CdBurner

Wonder how the telecheck will affect the land owner tag system? Will the tag I make be all that I need on a deer, or will I have to register to get official tags before the season?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Wonder how the telecheck will affect the land owner tag system? Will the tag I make be all that I need on a deer, or will I have to register to get official tags before the season?

I'm not sure about that one.

I know people that get the damage permits if I remeber right will be given a number that they are to enter into a certain box but not sure if the landowner tags will change. I wouldn't think so but maybe one of the other guys would know better then myself.

rrr

Ready for this guys?

The nearest check station to my house is an AMISH furniture shop. Yup, right on the way home and Mr. Yoder checks it in.

lmaolmaolmaolmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hell. He went Outside??????

I know two check stations in Vinton where when 90% of the time I fill out the paperwork and the girl hands me a metal tag... :smiley_chinrub:

Matt

Norton, OH
The way the telecheck system works, you buy or print off your license and tags. Then you call in the system and give all of your information. It asks you questions apparently. Then, once all the info is checked out, it reads you back a number which you write on your tag. I asked the ODNR guy I saw about issues with a mounted buck, etc. He said he was pretty sure it still has to stay with the animal. I figure what I would do would be laminate it then attach it to the back of the mount. I tell you, there were a few times when I came close to not checking in a deer because the weather was warm, the stations were closed and my day was very, very busy the next day. Close, but I never did it. I think the telecheck will take away more problems than it will create. I wonder, though, if you would still get the metal tags at the physical check stations? I love collecting those on my does. Kind of like my own little trophy.