Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Check station issue...

CdBurner

I went to check in a deer on Thursday at a gas station. There were 3 deer at the same time that arrived at the store. Mine and a truck with two deer in it.

The guy took our paper (harvest report) that we filled out. Never asked for ID or any proof of who we were. Went out to the trucks, slipped the silver bands on the deer and took the land owner tags and said "see ya".

Don't they check who you are?

You could put any name on the tags and forms and shoot as many bucks as you wish...

Is this standard protocol or was this guy lazy?

Gordo

Athens County
I went to check in a deer on Thursday at a gas station. There were 3 deer at the same time that arrived at the store. Mine and a truck with two deer in it.

The guy took our paper (harvest report) that we filled out. Never asked for ID or any proof of who we were. Went out to the trucks, slipped the silver bands on the deer and took the land owner tags and said "see ya".

Don't they check who you are?

You could put any name on the tags and forms and shoot as many bucks as you wish...

Is this standard protocol or was this guy lazy?

Probably just lazy.

I went and checked my doe in today from yesterday evening hunt and had to go to the ODNR. They took my license and deer tag then filled out the harvest report.

They even did there whole system of "aging" the deer by cutting its jaws open and checking out its teeth. They even had a little sample "telecheck" set up with a phone and all. I wish I would have not been in a rush or i would have asked more questions.

I dont remember ever checking a deer in when I didnt need to show I.D..

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
They are suppose to be checking your drivers license, hunting tag, so they can fill in the harvest report and also write down the license plate number of the vehicle that brought the deer to the check station.

I would say the guy at the Gas Station was just being lazy and stupid. I hope the ODNR busts them for false reports.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
When I tagged in my doe Monday, I went to hand the lady my license when she reached for the paper. She handed me the paper and pen instead and said, "fill the top part out." Now I know the woman that was doing the checking, and she knows me, but still. She did the same thing with the next person to walk through the door. Didn't verify anything at all.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah, that telecheck system is the devils work.... Just sayin... Dang.... :smiley_depressive::smiley_blackeye: rotflmao

CdBurner

The only thing the guy filled in was the check station number. I filled in the entire white paper (harvest report).

This was the gas station in Cadiz. It's the only check station around.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I never had to touch a pen. They took my drivers license and did everything. I used three different check stations.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Only thing I filled out was my name and address. Then he asked for my license and verified. In all fairness, this guy had to be in his 80's and didn't get around very good. I would guess his eyes weren't the best and the penmanship he did write in wasn't the best. Maybe he just wanted that part to be more legible? Most of his stuff was checkmarks and writing down the permanent license number.

My experience was simular to Mike's, I didn't have to touch a thing. They asked for my Driver License, what county that I shot the deer, what type of bow and how I wanted the meat cut up.

I did check one in at a Guernsey county check station once and that was interesting. The man asked the usual questions, but when we told him that we'd used traditional muzzleloaders (long rifles w/ patched round ball), he was rather facinated. After a short conversation...he says, "Well, I admire you guys for putting so much effort into the hunt. That's great! I don't fool with that sort of weaponry. If I want a deer, I just step out in the back yard and bust one between the eyes with my 30-30." :smiley_chinrub:

After that statement, I thought, "Wow! This guy has no idea who we are and he's telling us this information." My hunting buddy and I left the station and had a laugh about it.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They were just being lazy. ODOW protocol is that the hunter is not to fill out ANY portion of that harvest report. It should all be filled out by the worker of the check station. Doesn't matter, though... Telecheck is going to put this responsibility in the hunter's hands now.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
When I tagged in my doe Monday, I went to hand the lady my license when she reached for the paper. She handed me the paper and pen instead and said, "fill the top part out." Now I know the woman that was doing the checking, and she knows me, but still. She did the same thing with the next person to walk through the door. Didn't verify anything at all.

I did the same thing when I checked my deer last month. The lady working was nice enough, but she didn't know me from next guy, ask for my ID, or anything.

I guess all these problems will go away with the telecheck system :smiley_armscrossed:

Matt

Norton, OH
Other than the fact that I won't be able to collect my metal tags anymore, I am all for the telecheck. I ran into a ODNR guy at Gander yesterday and he was showing it to me (they had the internet site up) and he made a good point: if you are willing to drive all over gods creation to check in a deer in person, you are going to check it in over the phone. It won't create any new slob hunters. There might be a few more tiny bucks passed for antlerless, but that's all I see.

As far as the check-in issues, there is one place in Caldwell that just gives you the paper and has you fill it out, then look over it and verify the info, check the deer. Never had anyone take down my license plate before, and pretty sure that's not a requirement. DL # yes. LP #, no.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
You fuckers better stop dogging on telecheck. It's worked for years in other states...Ohio won't be any different. If you were honest before you'll continue to be honest. Why? Because you're freaking honest! If you broke the law before you're going to continue to break the law. Why? Because you're a needle dick motherfucker.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You fuckers better stop dogging on telecheck. It's worked for years in other states...Ohio won't be any different. If you were honest before you'll continue to be honest. Why? Because you're freaking honest! If you broke the law before you're going to continue to break the law. Why? Because you're a needle dick motherfucker.

I don't think anybody here is really bashing the telecheck system... sarcastic comments, probably... bashing, no. I couldn't agree with you more, JJ. I can't wait for the telecheck system to be up and running. I used to like checking in deer because I liked to see the different bucks that got killed, but I really don't gun hunt much anymore and finding a check station is a pain in the ass. I am going to miss collecting the metal tags, though. :smiley_bril:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm all for the tele check system and agree with JJ... It's worked pretty well for the guys in Pa as well as other states.... So give it time and enjoy the modern conveneance..... :smiley_clap:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
When telecheck comes into play does that mean that check stations go away completely? just wonderin......there's no way they can completely do away with 'em, is there? Better go steal one of them "deer check station" signs now and save it for American Pickers 2055.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
John- I think the biggest fear I have about the telecheck system is with the dirtbags. They are dirt bags now and probably don't check in all their deer. They will be dirt bags next year too. My fear is they harvest deer in Zone A, call it in as one of the six they shot in "Zone C" and don't have to travel to do so. I think the ODNR numbers are a ways off as it is, but I see this being the biggest problem with it. You are correct about a few smaller bucks getting called in as "antlerless", but that won't hurt the population. I am not trying to make this a debate, just a concern of mine. Time will tell. My out of state friends/relatives are not overly impressed with their systems, but I hear others (online) that say it doesn't seem to be a problem. As I said, time will tell.