Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Choke tube and shot size, for coyotes?

I've read that most coyote hunters are using anything from #4 buck to Hevi-Shot #2s, Remington HD in BBs and Dead Coyote (which is T shot size).

I recently did some patterning with the Mossberg Turkey Special choke tube that has a .670" restriction and a Patternmaster choke tube. At 40 and 50 yards the Patternmaster performed the best, using DC and Hevi-Shot #4s. I would like to try some Remington HD in BBs, next.

I've considered purchasing an Indian Creek or Kick's choke tube, to see if the pattern density would increase.

What's your prefered choke tube, for coyotes?
What's your prefered pellet size, for coyotes?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Be me 57 I thinh I would use an xtra full turkey choke and 4's at least. JMHO Never hunted the buggers but would like to.

COB-TY said:
Be me 57 I thinh I would use an xtra full turkey choke and 4's at least. JMHO Never hunted the buggers but would like to.
COB-TY,
Do you mean #4 lead shot or #4 buckshot?
With the correct choke tube, #4 buckshot can be very effective. However, #4 lead shot has a lot of pellets in the pattern, but they don't have the knock down power needed to kill a coyote.

However, #4 Hevi-Shot is a different animal and hits harder. Even so, I'd prefer a larger shot size...like BBs.

swantucky said:
I like to use a full choke and 00 buck.
swantucky,
I patterned some 00 buckshot, this morning, using a PatternMaster choke tube. The best pattern that I could get at 40 yards was 3 pellets inside an 11" circle. I got 5 pellets of #4 buckshot, at the same distance. That's not enough pellets in a pattern to be effective, on coyotes.

I'm a strong believer in patterning before hunting, as it can be a great confidence builder. Paper doesn't lie.
Also, a 30" circle is a standard waterfowl pattern, but for predators a 10" circle is standard.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Well, I called Carlson and spoke with one of their choke tube gurus, by the name of Scott. He was very informative and professional with the all the data that he gave me. He suggested a Sporting Clays extended choke tube, item #19777, which is an extra full choke in a .690" constriction. As for ammo, his recommendation was more toward alloy shot, like, Hevi-Shot, Dead Coyote, Remington HD and Federal Heavy Weight Coyote. The killing power of this type of shot, will outperform lead buckshot.

Scott was NOT impressed with the pattern density that I was obtaining...especially after I told him the Dead Coyote choke tube didn't pattern very well at all, past 30 yards. He suggested repatterning it again and letting him know my results. I intend to do so, take pics and send them to him.

Meanwhile, I plan to go to Cabelas this Saturday to do some coyote ammo shopping (shotgun ammo) and purchase a choke tube...or two.

Interesting side note: After posting this info (on Predator Masters Forum), about my conversation with Scott at Carlson's...I found out that Scott is Scott Carlson...the owner. :smiley_bril: You just never know who you're talking to on the other end of the line. Our conversation was more in depth than I'm elaborating about, but I couldn't have been talking to a better informed person about the subject.

I'll have to post some patterns after I get my gear together, to let everyone know what's working. :smiley_blink:

Kaiser878

ohio
I've read that most coyote hunters are using anything from #4 buck to Hevi-Shot #2s, Remington HD in BBs and Dead Coyote (which is T shot size).

I recently did some patterning with the Mossberg Turkey Special choke tube that has a .670" restriction and a Patternmaster choke tube. At 40 and 50 yards the Patternmaster performed the best, using DC and Hevi-Shot #4s. I would like to try some Remington HD in BBs, next.

I've considered purchasing an Indian Creek or Kick's choke tube, to see if the pattern density would increase.

What's your prefered choke tube, for coyotes?
What's your prefered pellet size, for coyotes?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

WHat patternamster did you use? they make like 5 or 6. I have the extended range one for duck hunting. It does ok, but now what I think it sohuld on yotes! We did some calling last saturday night and called two in within 20 yards a few seconds apart. My buddy dusted both of them with a 223. If I woulda had my shotgun I am pretty sure they would have been toast too. Patternmaster makes a bad ass yote tube, I am thinkingof purchasing it!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
One thing to remember about the Patternmaster is that the SIZE of the pattern is not much different from a normal choke tube of similar constriction... it's the DENSITY and SHOT STRING that is different. A Patternmaster grabs the wad and slows it down, resulting in a much shorter shot string. End result is whatever you're shooting at gets hit like a ton of bricks. The Extended Range Patternmaster like Zack has is similar to a regular full choke in regards to constriction, and the regular Patternmaster is more like a modified... they just throw a more dense, heavier-hitting, and more consistent pattern than stock choke tubes.

I have a Kicks High Flyer full choke for waterfowl. It works similarly to the Patternmaster, but is a bit different. IMO, the Kicks full choke throws a pattern that resembles a modified or improved-modified choke... but the pattern is more consistent and dense. I've had great success with the Kicks choke, with pretty much all sizes of steel and lead shot. The only thing it doesn't like are the hyperspeed loads... like 1650 fps and above. The pattern tends to "blow up" at those speeds.

For coyotes, I think you're best bet is going to be the alloy shot types. Lead just doesn't hit as hard and fly as uniformly as that stuff does. Pretty much any quality aftermarket choke tube will perform well with high density shot... at least well enough to whack down a 'yote at 40-60 yds.

Kaiser878 said:
WHat patternamster did you use? they make like 5 or 6.
Kaiser878,
It's a very old model...more than 15 years old. I'd have to say it's more of a "modified" as far as constriction. It throws very evenly dispersed patterns, but not the tight patterns that I want at the 40 to 50 yard range, for coyotes.

Kaiser878 said:
Patternmaster makes a bad ass yote tube, I am thinkingof purchasing it!
Check out Carlson, Kicks and Terror choke tubes, before you get too set on the Patternmaster. Most of the wad stripping choke tubes perform better with slower loads of 1300 f.p.s. or less. I use a Terror choke in a .675" constriction, for geese and Kent Fast Steel BBBs @ 1550 f.p.s....which gives me a 91% pattern inside a 30" circle at 40 yards.

JBrown said:
One thing to remember about the Patternmaster is that the SIZE of the pattern is not much different from a normal choke tube of similar constriction... it's the DENSITY and SHOT STRING that is different. A Patternmaster grabs the wad and slows it down, resulting in a much shorter shot string. End result is whatever you're shooting at gets hit like a ton of bricks. The Extended Range Patternmaster like Zack has is similar to a regular full choke in regards to constriction, and the regular Patternmaster is more like a modified... they just throw a more dense, heavier-hitting, and more consistent pattern than stock choke tubes.
JBrown,
You have a very accurate description of the function of a Patternmaster choke tube. :smiley_bril: I'd like to know if the Extended Range choke tube would produce a tight pattern out to 40 and 50 yards...with the alloy shot types. If so, I'd be interested in purchasing one.

JBrown said:
For coyotes, I think you're best bet is going to be the alloy shot types. Lead just doesn't hit as hard and fly as uniformly as that stuff does. Pretty much any quality aftermarket choke tube will perform well with high density shot... at least well enough to whack down a 'yote at 40-60 yds.
I agree with the use of the alloy shot types. Lead tends to "ball up" in the fur, which pushes the coyote down, as opposed to cutting through the fur, reaching the vitals and killing the coyote quicker.
My most recent goal has been to get/find an extended choke tube that will produce a tight pattern that's evenly dispersed out to 40 and 50 yards.

The most recent patterning that I've been doing, has been with the Dead Coyote choke tube. This choke tube measures .660", which I personally feel is too tight of a constriction to pattern well at extended ranges.
Dead Coyote ammo (Ts): I was getting 15 pellets at 40 yards, inside an 11" circle.
Also, 9 to 13 pellets inside an 11" circle at 50 yards.

Remington HD in BBs: I was getting 13 pellets at both 40 and 50 yards, inside an 11" circle. This pattern with this ammo was very consistant and even, at all yardages.

I will hunt with this ammo and choke tube combination, until I get my hands on a .690" constriction extended choke tube. I think this will produce more pellets at the same distances, due to there being less constriction. :smiley_chinrub:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I use a Terror choke in a .675" constriction, for geese and Kent Fast Steel BBBs @ 1550 f.p.s....which gives me a 91% pattern inside a 30" circle at 40 yards.

I may have to try one of those Terror chokes... that sounds like an awesome pattern for 1550 fps.

This choke tube measures .660", which I personally feel is too tight of a constriction to pattern well at extended ranges.

If I remember, I'll measure the constriction of my Kicks choke this afternoon. I've checked it at one time before... I think it was in the .680 to .690 range... I'll let ya know.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just checked my Kicks High Flyer full... it's actually bigger than I thought... Inside diameter is .710".

JBrown,
A little less constriction works better with higher speeds, in steel shot. I would imagine that's why Scott Carlson suggested using their Sporting Clays extended choke tube in a .690" constriction, for Dead Coyote, Remington HD in BBs and Hevi-Shot. I need to call and order the choke, get it coming in the mail, so I can test a few different types of ammo.

The .675" constriction in the Terror choke, is considered to be their "mid-range" choke tube. As it turns out, it's my long range choke tube, for geese. :smiley_blink:

I don't think that the above pellet counts are impressive, but they'll kill a coyote. I'd like to improve that performance, but not at a silly amount of money being spent on chokes and ammo. Even so, I've spent as much or more money on other things and had nothing to show for it. At least when I'm done, I'll have some definate information to use for future reference. :smiley_bril:

I don't think that the above pellet counts are impressive, but they'll kill a coyote. I'd like to improve that performance, but not at a silly amount of money being spent on chokes and ammo.
As an update on the chokes and shot sizes... I called Carlson's again, to let them know how my patterning turned out. The pellet count was what they considered to be low, but not horrible. Just the same, Shane Carlson advised that a .020" less constriction would be the ticket for what I'm trying to attain. More pellets in a 10" circle at the 40 and 50 yard mark is what I'm after.

Shane Carlson said to put the Dead Coyote choke tube in a padded envelope with a note stating "Please exchange for a .680" constriction" and mail it to them. He said as soon as they get it, they'll turn it around and get the new choke tube back to me as soon as possible.

Outstanding customer service! On the phone and through the mail, these guys will continue to get my business. :smiley_bril:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad you are having fun and getting it dialed in 57! I will stick to the pistol and 223 rounds for my close quarters combat. hahahaha hahahahaha hahhahahahaha

(My attempt at an evil laugh through the keyboard.)

epe

Lancaster
I killed a coyote at 40 yards running with a skeet 2 choke with a 3 inch #2 hevisteel. Was coming in trying to get my geese decoys.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

years ago when i called fox . i used a mossberg 12 guage with a mod. choke and #4 buck . i could kill fox well over 50 yards . seemed that the more open choke would shoot larger shot better .

years ago when i called fox . i used a mossberg 12 guage with a mod. choke and #4 buck . i could kill fox well over 50 yards . seemed that the more open choke would shoot larger shot better .
hoot gibson,
You are correct, sir. The guys at Carlson's were asking me if I intended to use #4 buck or larger buckshot sizes, as it would make a difference in the constriction they would suggest.

I've not had time to pattern it yet, but the guys at Carlson's exchanged my Dead Coyote choke tube (which was a .660" constriction), for one of their Turkey choke tubes in a .680" constriction. The T shot in Dead Coyote and the Remington HD in BBs were giving me a low pellet count, at 40 and 50 yards.

I've been getting anywhere from 9 to 15 pellets inside a 10" circle, at 40 and 50 yards. Carlson's suggests at least 10 pellets at any distance, out to 70 yards inside the same 10" circle. I don't expect or believe I'll ever obtain that kind of pattern density at that extreme distance. I'm simply looking to increase the current pellet count to increase my chances for a clean kill, inside 50 yards.

I have a Stevens .25-06 sitting on a bi-pod that's on stand-by, for any coyotes that decide to hang up beyond that distance...thinking they're safe. :smiley_arrogant: I'm highly confident that my quarter bore rifle will have a different opinion about their safety. :smiley_dead:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Everybody that hunts coyotes in our small group uses 12 gauges with 3" magnums with a full choke, we shoot #4 BUCK also for ammunition..... this load has brought down more than 300 coyotes for us in the last 20 years or so. Sometimes we will shoot them with a rifle, but the majority are killed with shotguns. Those 4 BUCK will really reach out there and knock the coyotes down, up to 80 yards from my experience.

Gern186,
A full choke sounds about right, for #4 buckshot. Carlson's was going to suggest a .690" constriction, IF my ammo choice was going to include buckshot.

I prefer the harder hitting alloy shot types of Dead Coyote, Remington HD and Federal's Heavyweight Coyote.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Gern186,
A full choke sounds about right, for #4 buckshot. Carlson's was going to suggest a .690" constriction, IF my ammo choice was going to include buckshot.

I prefer the harder hitting alloy shot types of Dead Coyote, Remington HD and Federal's Heavyweight Coyote.

We shoot a LOT of rounds in a years time, so cost is a major factor when buying ammo......especially since coyotes only bring about 5 dollars apiece average..... The #4 BUCK costs us about 80 cents per round or $4 per box of 5......and we buy it by the case.

How much is your ammo costing you per round?