Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Clothes prep?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Everyone have their gear prepped for the season? I am on my second load. Last year I think I could have had them done in 2 loads, but this year my gear pile grew. I am thinking 4 loads of shit to wash. I am not so sure I washed all my backpacks and such last year. This year I bought a new backpack and a fanny pack to try out, so there are 3 packs to wash that take up some room. Add a couple of coats off the late season/summer clearance racks and we have some laundry to do! Hope to be done tonight, but I dunno.

Not sure why I get so anal about the scent thing. I always try my best to hunt the wind and I also always smoke up before the hunts. Just can't be too careful. Anyone bypass the scent free laundry detergent since they are smoking up?

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I have always washed my clothes in baking soda, borax, or washing soda only. I typically just stay with baking soda. I use half a box per load. This neutralizes any odors and also cleans most anything off clothes, including fresh blood. If I need a deeper cleaning I will use either borax or washing soda. Borax and W.S. also neutralize odors, but they do a better job of cleaning the fabric. When I'm done washing I air dry and smoke the bejeebees out of 'em.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have always washed my clothes in baking soda, borax, or washing soda only. I typically just stay with baking soda. I use half a box per load. This neutralizes any odors and also cleans most anything off clothes, including fresh blood. If I need a deeper cleaning I will use either borax or washing soda. Borax and W.S. also neutralize odors, but they do a better job of cleaning the fabric. When I'm done washing I air dry and smoke the bejeebees out of 'em.

Ditto, Baking soda wash, Outside to air dry and smoke em up... I Put them in a tote. I smoke them less now though than I did at first. I would smoke them until you swear i had starch in them. Now I get them good and smoked and let it go.. Odds are i will be wearing them when I smoke up. No need to go all out on the first one.

For body wash I use a bar of unscented lye soap. Lasts much longer than that green HS bar you buy on the shelf and "smells" about the same like unscented soap. I usually get it at cracker barrel. It's also good for getting blood out of places where it's visible.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
One thing I do that I think alot of guys skip that to me is very important. I wash and dry two loads of "normal" clothes in scentfree detergent. This cleans any residual regular detergent or fabric softener out.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
tucky I do that too. but I do it without any clothes in it. I just run a cycle with my scent free detergant, than I wash my stuff...I wont do that until next week sometime.

I wont be bale to go out opening morning cause my wife has to work which sucks, but I cant wait to get out there

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Step 1: Clean out the washer with a load of scent free regular clothes that I use to wear to/from my hunting properties. Then run them through the dryer with a Fresh Earth dryer sheet to help rid the dryer of any residue stink.

Step 2: Wash my clothes in a combo of scent free detergent and baking soda.

Step 3: Air dry when applicable. Once it cools down, I run them through the dryer.

Step 4: Set up my cheap ground blind to use as my smoke house. I use hangers and plastic chairs to lay out my clothes in the blind and seal it up good with the smoker running at full blast.

Step 5: Store in my handy-dandy Stanley mobile tool chest I bought from Home Depot.

From there, shower and smoke up before every hunt. Can't wait for the whole process to start again!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I did that too Tucky/rgecko. I ran the last couple of loads through the washer with the "scent free" detergent and then used the dryer sheets like Jesse. Then I ran my two loads through of hunting gear the same way. I also made sure the lint trap in the dryer was spic and span of old fabric softener lint smelling crap. Then I got up this morning to put the last couple loads in and the fricken' wife was running a couple loads. Guess I get to start over once we have the other laundry through. Stinky little kids with all their dang dirty clothes. Shit. By the way, the last line was completely a joke. Love those little skunions. My daughter isn't bad and pretty picky about her cleanliness, my son is a sweaty/stinky little boy that likes to roll in the leaves, play in the pond, and play until he is all sweaty and stinky! Glad he is too! Wouldn't want it any other way! At least he isn't playing with Barbies and doing the fashion designer websites on the computer. haha

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
All my clothes are done minus the new under armour gear i ordered the other night. I am going to wash them up with my lighter clothes i wore during scouting. Should be all set then. I havent made the switch to smoke just yet, this year i may give it a whirl.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Just started on my laundry with scent free detergent. Air dry outside then into my tub for smoking. They are stored there until i'm at my hunting spot where I dress and smoke up again. Back to the tub. Only time they leave the tub is if they need washed again. I smoke the tub full of clothes a couple times a week as well.

I'm off on Fridays so I will be finishing up my laundry/smokin on Friday to prepare for the big opener!!