Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CNS

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'm sharing my "Babchi's" (grandmother's) chicken noodle soup recipe. Perfection. Guaranteed to cure the common cold and Covid.
No need to measure ingredients. Rough estimates. Idiot proof. Can't mess it up. She once made a delicious soup out of leftover spaghetti and roast beef.🤷🏼‍♂️

Turkey fryer version

10 chicken thighs, skin on, add water to the fill line
Boil until cooked
Pull chicken and set aside to cool

Add to boiling water:
1 bag carrots, sliced
1 bag sliced celery, sliced
2 chopped white onions
1 bulb peeled and crushed garlic
1 lb bag potatoes, cubed (your choice)
Noodles, barley or rice (your choice)
A few bay leaves
Bunch of mined parsley
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
Chicken boulion to taste

Cut chicken into your preferred size pieces. Add cut skin or reserve and puree in the food processor. The skin has healthful properties. Add to the pot.

Reduce to simmer. Cook until onions are clear.

Freeze in quart Tupperware for another day.

The smell brings back good memories...
IMG_20220116_142149523.jpg
IMG_20220116_141402139.jpg
IMG_20220116_151327445.jpg

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
Very excited that tomorrow I make Mike's Babchi's Chicken noodle soup. this is working out really well since Nancy bought a big bunch of Chicken thighs by mistake months ago. Supposed to have gotten boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but even though she has a Masters Degree in literary English, reading the package is too much to ask. I am very tired of deboning chicken thighs. :rolleyes: It is totally worth the extra cost to have somebody else do it.

Mike, approximately how much water do you start with for the stock? I don't own a chicken fryer like that so the "fill line" does not help me.

Jamie

Ohio
Nancy says this is the best soup I've ever made, and I could not argue with her. I'm very proud of my vegetable beef soup, and that was her favorite until today. There is just something about good, hot chicken soup on a cold, snowy winter Sunday that makes perfect sense. Do yourselves a favor and take the time to make this soup. I ended up with just north of 3 gallons. Even though there is only the two of us, I'm not sure how much will make it to the freezer. :D

Jamie

Ohio
Ok, I was probably suffering from a mild case of Stendhal Syndrome last night, maybe still am. I wound up way north of 3 gallons of soup. over 4 for sure. No sensible person would scale this recipe back, so don't even consider it. Instead, buy some nice freezer safe storage containers when you go to buy your ingredients, make yourself 4 gallons of delicious, hearty, nutritious soup, freeze most of it or share it with someone you adore and send a thank you note to Mike for bestowing such a simple and wonderful recipe upon us on behalf of his grandmother. food like this pays homage to the way people ate in the old world, the way we are supposed to eat. Soup is good food.

this is almost exactly 3 1/2 gallons, plus my lunch. with what we ate last night and what Nancy took for her lunch today I was surely stirring 4+ gallons of soup last night. and it was even better today, but just a little. :)

IMG_3698.jpg