Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

cold shot

Creamer

Athens
I'm no Brock but I got a few blind chair reps in this afternoon. Practice how you play and all that.

Cold shot from 18, seated.

I only shot maybe 8 or 9 arrows, but all were in a baseball/fist sized spot right there. Good enough for today.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Woah, woah, woah... that is not three stuck together. That is however one busted nock, nearly Robin Hooded, followed by one stuck in arrow number two. Howard Hill I’m not, but hard on nocks I am... sometimes. 😁

Nice shooting Jeff. I too have been shooting from a stool a good bit lately as I plan to bushwhack one from a blind in the near future. It’s sorta hard to believe how shooting from a seat can effect your shot with a recurve. Very easy to short draw the bow while hunkered down. It’s a good idea to get acclimated early.

Creamer

Athens
Usually when my cold shot is good...

...I shoot really well that session. Not so much yesterday. I made a great cold shot with a Magnus Stinger, then got Rick Vaughn wild on the next 4-5 shots. Wildly inconsistent. I had one of those little self-talk come to Jeebus talks and got things back on track. I went back out in the evening and shot great.

Creamer

Athens
Yesterday's cold shot I took from 30. A little high, but acceptable for me.

Last shot of the day was 17 yards, blind chair, after taking two "quick" (out of shape) laps around the yard to get the heart rate up.

I've got a lot of daylight doe activity on a feeder on private ground. There's a ground blind there. :devilish:

Jamie

Ohio
been a long, tiring week working. no shooting since last weekend. I decided to head to Ground Zero to put my traditional trail camera out for a couple of hours this morning. I'm rather flying blind to get set up as this season will be my first time hunting the property, so I was quite pleased to see two different doe units, one with this bonehead in tow, come right past me. my north wind stand is in a good place. :cool:

View attachment 65024View attachment 65025

he cut my trail and tracked me to the tree. never did wind me or look up.:) but he did offer me a nice 15 yard shot as he wandered off.

View attachment 65026View attachment 65029
17 yard cold shot very reminiscent of the look ole bonehead gave me. on the money.

this is a 3.5 year old 5x5, and he might make 140". I'll kill him without thinking twice about it if I get the chance. I doubt he is the best buck in the neighborhood, but we have a history now. the first buck I ever saw on my property. surely, he knew that I was unarmed today and was just toying with me, lol.

no cold shot today, but I got a good look at a buck that I'm sure is the same one in these pics this morning. "Bonehead" as I've been calling him since our first meeting has eluded me for two seasons. had a close call late in the season with him last January, but passed on a 25 yard shot at a walking deer on a cold morning. was the last time I saw him until today. looked and looked and looked for his sheds, but never found them. if this is the same deer, and I'd bet money that it is, he is 5.5 now. I estimated him to be pushing 150" last season, and I'd say that he is between 155" and 165" now. a perfect 5x5. I'm not the greatest at field judging big bucks, but I got to look him over with binos for about 15 minutes at 70 yards or so. he sparred briefly with a very respectable 2.5 year old 5x4, and rubbed a tree. some big bucks are not killable, but I think this one is. the presence of acorns this season will help my chances, and I know where his bedroom is now for sure. game on.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He needs another year.

I’m kidding of course. He’s an old man in the deer woods now. I hope you get a quality opportunity at him and run a Zwickey through the good stuff.

Reactions: Jamie

Creamer

Athens
I had to give the range bag a little stomp and reverse it a few days ago. It's also (obviously) due for a new cover. Before:

After:

Stops 'em stone dead now. Today's cold arrow from 18.

Before I did the stomp and flip, arrows hitting in the vital V area of this target pic were bouncing out occasionally. I might replace the target picture later today.

Reactions: Big_Holla and giles