Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

cold shot

Creamer

Athens
This was close, but it was raining and I was just looking to take a couple of quick shots off the back patio. 13-14 yards.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I got a new friend a couple weeks back. We are really starting to bond well. I really believe it’s always the Indian and not the bow, but since acquiring this thing, my really-effective range has extended ten yards. If a deer rolled by me today, I’d be very confident in a 30 yard opportunity.

Attachments

• 1FFE8591-35B3-4626-BF07-53712229B5F7.jpeg
    1FFE8591-35B3-4626-BF07-53712229B5F7.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 79
  • A52BE50C-A271-4D85-8926-2337BBE80409.jpeg
    A52BE50C-A271-4D85-8926-2337BBE80409.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 75

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice shooting Jeff!

I’m pretty sure there is no one size fits all form for shooting trad bows. It seems to me they all want to be shot a little differently in order to get maximum accuracy from each. This one was no different. It took me a week or so to find my way with this one too. Luckily, once found, it’s easy to repeat with this bow. Some are much more finicky.

Creamer

Athens
Nice shooting Jeff!

I’m pretty sure there is no one size fits all form for shooting trad bows. It seems to me they all want to be shot a little differently in order to get maximum accuracy from each. This one was no different. It took me a week or so to find my way with this one too. Luckily, once found, it’s easy to repeat with this bow. Some are much more finicky.

What are the specs on that Widow?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
0A6FA6B9-20AD-44D7-A14E-EF83168A0A70.jpeg

We tend to only remember what we want. That may be to the negative, or the positive. Regardless... this is a little trick I use occasionally for a reality check. A fresh piece of cardboard will show recent history (group) like no other. I was shooting this piece at 30. As is evidenced by the cardboard, I had some wild ones today. All dead deer, I think, but proof that I’ve got work to do in the coming months. Try it if you need a reality check sometime.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Anyone ever figured out how to measure real world penetration differences between arrow weights. Mathematics says it should be a simple calculation. However, I shot two sets of arrows the other day just to see if I could measure the difference in reality. One set was carrying a 125 head, the next a 175. The 175 was mounted on a heavier spine but essentially the same weight shaft. I shot them into a fresh piece of 3d target. There was absolutely no difference in penetration. The only difference was the heavier shaft had more arch. Maybe the weight wasn’t enough to notice in penetration but it certainly was in trajectory.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would think a penetration test would have to be done in ballistic gel or some other medium that resembles flesh a little closer. Foam targets are designed to stop everything. Probably not a fair or accurate test shooting into foam.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Perhaps. But, being that foam stops by friction, using the same diameter shaft I expected to see some difference if there was any gain by shooting a slightly heavier arrow.