Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

cold shot

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’m guilty. I shot for a couple hours between shifts. Tow different bows. I’ve been shooting a 40lber a lot trying to work on things. So I had to bust out a hunting bow to see if I could keep things rolling with higher poundage. It worked, for today at least. 😁

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree. But I’ve got a couple that are a little heavier that I do not plan to give up on. I had an Assenheimer back in the day that was 69@28. I shot that thing for hours at a time and it never seemed to bother me. I’d have to use both feet and arms to pull that bow now. You just don’t need all that and these lighter bows are far more enjoyable to shoot. I killed 4 deer and a turkey with that 40lb bow a few years ago. They were every bit as dead as anything I ever shot with a heavy bow.

Reactions: Creamer

Wiley E Coyote

We were young and strong back then and felt like we were doing the right thing with those heavy bows. I would like to find a Don Assenheimer bow for my collection but it's about impossible to find any custom bow from that era under 55# and I only want bows I can still shoot. My heaviest bow now is a 54# Black Widow Crown Jewel I bought new in 1987.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
51E976EE-9BBD-4DF3-A6B1-4348E600FE4C.jpeg

Not cold, but it felt good today. 22 yards, 40lb bow.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’ve never been a huge fan of Bear bows. I did kill one a few years back with a Grizzly my mom gave to dad for Christmas 1960. but I never felt the need to buy a Bear of my own. If I ever do, that is the exact model I will get. I love the 50s style grip.

Reactions: Creamer