Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

cold shot

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My first 3 shots today at 25yards...hurt my shoulder a few weeks ago working in the garage, fell and landed on my right shoulder and sprained it pretty bad but no broken bones,starting to feel better and I can get out and fling a few arrows now.
I am self taught also, never had a coach..might shoot better if I did but I can still kill shit when given the opportunity.
20220703_094333.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
@Creamer - I can’t find the post now but you mentioned the other day you couldn’t get your Simmons heads as sharp as you’d like. Boarhead sent me some last winter. They were sharp. All I’ve had to do was maintain the edge. I’ve used a small file but this is what makes em really sharp. It’s just an old cedar shaft. I’m sure any dowel rod would work. Just add some buffing compound and go to work. It’s just like a strop with a round edge and works well on the Simmons’ concave edge.
F34C2C1B-35FF-470B-AD65-DC331B43F255.jpeg

Creamer

Athens
@Creamer this is my setup for sharpening my heads..Brocks way looks like a great way to go also
I use the wheelie sharpener along with a jewelstick and a wooden rod with leather wrapped on and some buffing compound. It gets em good and sharp and makes em bleed when ya hit em.View attachment 155889

I have the tools. The Wheelie definitely does a better job on them than anything else I have tried. I'm probably just being too deep down the Ranch Fairy sharpness path. When I see how a single bevel or Stinger with a straight edge that I have sharpened slices test paper, and compare it with the Sharks, I just haven't been able to get the Sharks that sharp. I'll keep at it. Thanks for the info, fellas!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have the tools. The Wheelie definitely does a better job on them than anything else I have tried. I'm probably just being too deep down the Ranch Fairy sharpness path. When I see how a single bevel or Stinger with a straight edge that I have sharpened slices test paper, and compare it with the Sharks, I just haven't been able to get the Sharks that sharp. I'll keep at it. Thanks for the info, fellas!
I’ll be ordering some single bevels today. I shot Stingers last year and you are correct in that they will take a super slick edge. I think the Simmons will take a similar edge, it’s just very hard to test it with paper do the the shape of the blade. It’s almost like there are two separate blades to test, one on each side of the curve. I can’t seem to swipe the entire blade through paper, but each side of the curve works and slices paper as well as any, it seems.

Reactions: Boarhead

Creamer

Athens
I’ll be ordering some single bevels today. I shot Stingers last year and you are correct in that they will take a super slick edge. I think the Simmons will take a similar edge, it’s just very hard to test it with paper do the the shape of the blade. It’s almost like there are two separate blades to test, one on each side of the curve. I can’t seem to swipe the entire blade through paper, but each side of the curve works and slices paper as well as any, it seems.

Some people might disagree, but I think sharpening single bevels is a lot easier. It takes some effort and patience, but I got the Cutthroat and even the Zwickey No Mercy heads straight up scary sharp.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’m going to get the tuffhead evolution. They come ready to hunt, supposedly. According to the guy on YouTube from Stay Sharp, they actually are. In fact he had a difficult time getting them much sharper than they were from the package. If that’s the case, I hope to just maintain the edge with leather. I guess I’ll find out soon enough. For the price, they should come with a bow to shoot them.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My buddy Steve switched the ironwill last year after having a mechanical fail. He killed a good buck with em. Shot through the scapula on a quarter to shot. Dead in seconds. He said the head would still shave afterwards too.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’m screwing around with all these arrow combinations, it was inevitable that I’d bust out that old Mathews. I always thought I was a little light spined with the shafts I was shooting. I had never bareshaft tuned it that I can recall. I have been a walk back tuner since I was a kid and this bow has always been dialed in, I thought, with 100 grain heads. My experiments have shown me I was wrong. I just took this series of pics to show my buddy, Steve, he could get better performance with very little effort. Bareshaft from ten yards with 100,125,150,175 and 200 grain field points.