Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

College Football Thread

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
You realize every other form of football from high school, D-2 college, NFL, CFL, Arena league, etc, all of them have more than this archaic system of 4 teams. Ohio high school football will have 16 teams. D-2 college has 16. You talk about joining a real conference. Cincinnati ain't getting invited to the mighty SEC or BIG10. Alabama wont schedule an out of conference game on the road. Best they'll do is a Neutral site game. Same with most of the upper echelon of SEC Teams. The old BCS was the same 3-4 teams every year. 8 team playoff is coming. With more teams in the first one out with always bitch. Right now team 5 has a better argument than a team 9 or 13. Its nonsensical and a bad business model to exclude more teams that will be a financial windfall for the sport

Reactions: hickslawns

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
But we gave in to the playoff hucksters and expanded that to four.

People will stop being crybabies when their team makes it to some sort of playoff on a regular basis. Instead of earning it and being content when they don't, they blame the system. So they changed the system to placate them and that's still not good enough because their team still doesn't make it on a regular basis. It only ends when they can be pacified by attaining what they didn't earn. It's no different than children who have to earn a treat. When they fail to earn it and are told no they pitch a fit and offer excuses or cry about how it isn't fair. Take every conference champion and put them in a playoff system and people will then bitch about how teams got to their conference championship games. Expand conference championships to a 4 team playoff system and people will bich that it should be 8. It never ends.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
People will stop being crybabies when their team makes it to some sort of playoff on a regular basis. Instead of earning it and being content when they don't, they blame the system. So they changed the system to placate them and that's still not good enough because their team still doesn't make it on a regular basis. It only ends when they can be pacified by attaining what they didn't earn. It's no different than children who have to earn a treat. When they fail to earn it and are told no they pitch a fit and offer excuses or cry about how it isn't fair. Take every conference champion and put them in a playoff system and people will then bitch about how teams got to their conference championship games. Expand conference championships to a 4 team playoff system and people will bich that it should be 8. It never ends.
So if Cincinnati runs the table the test of the way but is left out, you think they didnt earn it? They've been one of the toughest teams the last 2 years but most dismiss them because they arent in a big conference

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So if Cincinnati runs the table the test of the way but is left out, you think they didnt earn it? They've been one of the toughest teams the last 2 years but most dismiss them because they arent in a big conference

I think way too much emphasis is put on win loss records and those wins/losses need to be quantified by performance. The two teams that end up in the NC game should be a purely mathematical equation based on performance with zero bearing on the conference.

Reactions: Tipmoose

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
If their strength of schedule is on par with the rest of the playoff teams, sure they earned it. If not, then no they didn't. Personally I hope Georgia gets to play cincy in the first round of the playoffs just so we can see what happens.

Reactions: Chancegriffis

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
You realize every other form of football from high school, D-2 college, NFL, CFL, Arena league, etc, all of them have more than this archaic system of 4 teams. Ohio high school football will have 16 teams. D-2 college has 16. You talk about joining a real conference. Cincinnati ain't getting invited to the mighty SEC or BIG10. Alabama wont schedule an out of conference game on the road. Best they'll do is a Neutral site game. Same with most of the upper echelon of SEC Teams. The old BCS was the same 3-4 teams every year. 8 team playoff is coming. With more teams in the first one out with always bitch. Right now team 5 has a better argument than a team 9 or 13. Its nonsensical and a bad business model to exclude more teams that will be a financial windfall for the sport
I really don't care what system other organizations use. That really is irrelevant. And you completely ignored my point that 25 years ago four different teams were at the top of the heap but are trash now. This is all more BS from the instant gratification crowd. Not every team can be a contender. The world needs homecoming opponents too.

Reactions: Chancegriffis

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I really don't care what system other organizations use. That really is irrelevant. And you completely ignored my point that 25 years ago four different teams were at the top of the heap but are trash now. This is all more BS from the instant gratification crowd. Not every team can be a contender. The world needs homecoming opponents too.
Wow. It took 25 years for a few other teams to get in there. Yep. That seems fair

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My biggest complaint about college sports is that there should not be any preseason polls before the friggin teams even play. As a matter of fact I wouldn’t rank them till the RPI rankings come out. This would give all the voters a chance to see who played quality opponents, schedules cupcakes, sustained crucial injuries, lost players to transferring and which conferences look stronger and how the win loss records look BEFORE ranking them. This will promote teams scheduling quality out of conference games and hopefully curtail all the cupcake teams being scheduled. Then the regular season would look more like a NCAA tournament bracket from the start and then the top 4 teams would hold more merit. Just my .02 cents.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
My biggest complaint about college sports is that there should not be any preseason polls before the friggin teams even play. As a matter of fact I wouldn’t rank them till the RPI rankings come out. This would give all the voters a chance to see who played quality opponents, schedules cupcakes, sustained crucial injuries, lost players to transferring and which conferences look stronger and how the win loss records look BEFORE ranking them. This will promote teams scheduling quality out of conference games and hopefully curtail all the cupcake teams being scheduled. Then the regular season would look more like a NCAA tournament bracket from the start and then the top 4 teams would hold more merit. Just my .02 cents.
I agree but they're not "official'' polls but they do sway the rankings for later on the year. I'd like to see polls released about now about halfway through

Reactions: finelyshedded

Creamer

Athens
Expanding the playoff won't allow a lot of smaller schools to get into the playoff. In reality, it will only allow more P5 programs in. It would be a lot like the NCAA tournament is now. "Do we want the .500 team from the ACC/Big Ten/SEC or the Big South team that was 27-6 but lost in their conference tournament title game?" We know how those decisions usually go. Why would a college football playoff expansion be any different? It wouldn't be to allow the Coastal Carolina's and BYU's of the world into the playoff, it would be to let in the 2nd/3rd place teams in the SEC/Big Ten/Big 12 in. Yes, I concede that could let some "new blood" into the playoff, but in the grand scheme of things it's still the rich (Power 5 conferences) getting richer. And honestly, I'm not a fan of letting the same team(s) that lost out to Alabama/OSU/Clemson/Oklahoma another chance. They already had their chance, in my opinion. I'm not a fan of possible rematches because I don't feel like it proves much. Like when Alabama played LSU a second time years ago in the title game. What did it prove? LSU beat them, then Bama beat LSU. So what did we learn? Nothing. I don't like that.

Reactions: Tipmoose

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Let the NC be the best of 7 games. Milk this shit out for 6 more weeks and let’s really rock that title!!!! Who the hell watches regular season basketball anyways…. 😂

Reactions: hickslawns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not as many upsets. But there was one major upset: Purdue dominated Iowa IN Iowa.

Looks like some squeakers. Oklahoma State hung on against Texas A&M. And the Aggies are looking tough in spite of their loss. Just can't close. BYU lost another. Say goodbye to your ranking. LSU and Florida had a game of minimal defense. Lol. Clemson barely won last night. Would have loved to see a 3-3 Clemson but I guess 4-2 will do. Indiana gave Mich St a good run for their money but lost.

Wish I saw more football today but I had some work to do and hunted this evening.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Watched the Ky vs Georgia game that I recorded when I went out hunting. Wow bulldog whipped them

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
3DD674A6-A2B9-4D47-99A9-DCBCE8CF8F08.jpeg