Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Colorado DIY Archery Elk Hunt

teej89

NE PA
Good tips, @teej89 . Cant wait TOO have an opportunity TOO do that one day

When you do let me know and I can give you the little knowledge I do have.

You wanna start off with a fun hunt do MT mulies or WY Pronghorn, MT mulies you'll see 50-100 deer a day and have a half dozen stalks a day (rifle season)

Reactions: OO2

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
The boys are on their way and should pick me up this afternoon to head for unit 45 near Red Cliff. We will pack in early tomorrow. I haven’t seen an elk since we left RMNP but it’s been a great vacation. If you ever get the opportunity to visit the Garden of the Gods - do it. Stunning. There are also a lot of mule deer inside the park along with Bighorn sheep. I saw 4 full curl rams but they were too far for good pics.
Wish me luck...sleeping on the side of a mountain at 11,000’ has me concerned. Hopefully, we get into some elk at some point.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I guess the hunt begins today….. No more warm bed, and hot shower... Be carefull and good luck. Hope you fill your tag. If sleeping on the side of a mountain at 11,000 feet concerns you, I'm sure J still has some contacts and can get you a parachute.. Have fun...

Reactions: Spencie

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I guess the hunt begins today….. No more warm bed, and hot shower... Be carefull and good luck. Hope you fill your tag. If sleeping on the side of a mountain at 11,000 feet concerns you, I'm sure J still has some contacts and can get you a parachute.. Have fun...

Sure do lol...

Good luck Mike, be safe but most of all enjoy the moment...

Bigcountry40

When you do let me know and I can give you the little knowledge I do have.

You wanna start off with a fun hunt do MT mulies or WY Pronghorn, MT mulies you'll see 50-100 deer a day and have a half dozen stalks a day (rifle season)
Teej89,

How hard is it to draw a MT muley tag, should I start putting in now to biuld points?

Reactions: teej89 and Spencie

teej89

NE PA
Teej89,

How hard is it to draw a MT muley tag, should I start putting in now to biuld points?

I believe you can buy a point this summer if you didn’t do the draw(a new thing started last summer) and then next year when you apply buy a point then as well and you’ll start with 2 points. With that... you should draw a general tag(what I do). There’s some big ones for every dozen 2 and 3pts and 50 some does you see lol if you don’t draw just get put on the leftover list and you’ll probably hear in August someone returned a tag and you got it. That’s what my bud did this year.

Wyoming you can buy PP now, $25 for pronghorn, $35 deer and $50 for elk

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I will give a detailed account when I get home but what a week. We did not kill any elk but we did come close. Not bad for some rookies. The pack in was the most physically demanding thing I have ever done. Our hunts weren’t that far from camp because the terrain was brutal. But the bulls were in that steep rocky nasty stuff. They were in a big cove with constantly swirling winds.
The boys heard 1 cow all week. We never found them.
We all had opportunities at bulls. I had 2 studs come in within 15 minutes but no shots....25 and 35 yards. One busted me after the wind swirled. Not sure why other left.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I will give a detailed account when I get home but what a week. We did not kill any elk but we did come close. Not bad for some rookies. The pack in was the most physically demanding thing I have ever done. Our hunts weren’t that far from camp because the terrain was brutal. But the bulls were in that steep rocky nasty stuff. They were in a big cove with constantly swirling winds.
The boys heard 1 cow all week. We never found them.
We all had opportunities at bulls. I had 2 studs come in within 15 minutes but no shots....25 and 35 yards. One busted me after the wind swirled. Not sure why other left.
I look forward to it Mike!

Fletch

Supporting Member
Sounds like time well spent with the boys..... Looking forward to some pics and stories when you get back... Above all, Have a Safe Trip Home....