Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Colorado DIY Archery Elk Hunt

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
5DDE8265-4D8E-45AF-8C4E-0593813A9509.jpeg

Fletch

Supporting Member
Nice.... Have fun... Surprised you get cell service out there...… Have a safe trip... Thanks for the updates...

teej89

NE PA
The cell service is very spotty in the mountains. Staying with the wife in cabins and hotels with WiFi this week. Starting Friday night I doubt I have any service. But we do have Garmin inreach trackers for emergencies.

Good luck out there! Somethings I've learned hunting elk:

-Early mornings and late nights, don't head out late and don't come back early. You wanna catch em while they're still up and feeding, find meadows in the heavy timber, also if you know of any burns HUNT THEM
-If you're having issues locating bugles, head out at night, they're a lot more vocal once the sun goes down
-CALL, CALL, CALL, CALL, when you think you've done enough calling, call some more. By calling, I mean bugle
-If you're in close to a bedded bull and you hear a real low "growl", stop moving and cow call, the bull senses something is up and he's essentially saying "Hey, who's there" the cow call reassures him it's just one of his herd.
-Learn the difference between a location bugle and challenge bugle
-They're like hunting giant turkeys but don't expect a cow call (a hen call like with turkeys)to be your only hope, In my brief history of hunting them bugles work just as well if not better. Actually I'll try and draw a bull in looking for a fight over cow calling him in, if he has cows he's gonna want the cow to come to him but if you're challenging him and sneak in close enough he'll come to a challenge bugle or grunts to show the other bull who's boss
-Rake trees and make noise when you call! They're loud animals, wear gloves when you rake and by rake I mean smack the crap outta that tree, I learned the hardway and called abull in for my buddy, after it I looked down and had dime sized blisters on my hand that I didn't know were forming cuz my adrenaline was so high
-Once again, they're loud animals, don't be afraid to break twigs walking in
-play the wind, their nose is better than a deer and at times there's 30 noses
-Watch your thermals, thermals rise in the morning(as it gets warm) and fall during the evening(as it gets cold) this will carry your scent
-Hunt water and wallows during the day if it's hot
-Look for those north facing slopes
-Always have youre tracking mode on you on your GPS, have a map and compass it's big woods
-Don't give up, it can suck at times and you'll question your sanity but that one bugle makes it all worth it

Good luck!

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
Also:

When calling a bull in, same concept as turkeys caller behind you BUT don't set up beside or behind a tree, set up in FRONT of a tree. Use it to break up your outline and just remember they see movement and want be too concerned about your motionless figure, if you're behind the tree you may never get a shot off.

Reactions: Spencie and MoonLab