Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

compound bow opinion

swamp_donkey819

was looking for some opinions on a couple bows, a golden eagle carbon hawk, or an oneida strike eagle. which one wuould make the better hunting bow accuracy, durability, speed etc. both bows are going for 100 bucks

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
All I can say is that the "oneida strike eagle" is the nosiest, loudest bow I have ever herd in the woods...
It may be fast but you might as well be banging a couple pots together when you release...

swamp_donkey819

really, i always thought oneidas were quiet because of the whole recurve design, idk my buddy is deciding on buying one othe two ive shot golden eagle before and those were the one bow i couldnt ever hold a pattern with. i really dont know much about either one of the bows either

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thats the story...
I had hunted a big buck we called "BD-Ball Dragger" for a few years. Jeff and I were hunting the woods together maybe 60-70 yards apart. Unknown to him, I had spent the last 20 min. trying to grunt in BD. He was finally w/in 25 yards and was behind a big red oak (vitals)... All he had to do was step out into the lane.
About that time he (Jeff) drew back on a doe w/ that Oneida and nailed her (I think it was a dbl lung) I hear a loud WHACK from that frigging bow which put the buck I was drawing on at dep-con-whatthefuckwas that alert. To seal the deal that doe had just enough life in her to come crashing down the woods and die in a pile about spitting distance from my tree... BD took off like a shot.
Jeff had no way of knowing what I was about to do but I had teased him about the noise before. I never saw him again that season.The next year, that big deer was killed by a car less than 1/2 a mile from our woods. I saw him just after he was hit, laying in some neighbors yard. I had both his sheds from the past year (and still do) They were very distinct w/ a "kink" in the one main beam.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I believe my cousin shot a Golden Eagle awhile back, I will see if I can dig up some pros and cons from him. What I can remember it was a pretty heavy bow, but then again it was fairly old.

Question have you shot other new compounds like the hoyt cxr or the elite pure for example. If i was you id either go with a modern compound or a traditional bow. The golden eagle and oneida concept started in the earliy 90s when you had to choose between the smoothness of a recurve or the speed of a compound. Thats not the case anymore you can get a compound that will be just as smooth and quite a trad bow now. These new technology compounds will be lighter faster and quitier than the oneida or the golden eagle. The last time i checked the oneida and the golden eagle were pretty expensive bows and most compounds out there will beat them on price as well. Another thing to consider is the golden eagle and the oneida are pretty complex to work on. So finding a bow tech to tune it properly once and a while might be hard because there just arnt that many of those bows out there. Im not telling not to buy a golden eagle or a oneida just throwing out a suggestion because i have known a few people who got wrapped up in the hype around these bows and found out later that a compound would have been a better fit for them. but for 100 bucks id pick one up just for the hell of it. Good luck

Last edited:

swamp_donkey819

thanks, my buddy passed on both the oneida, and the golden eagle. he picked up a pse mohave all set up for 100 bucks. and i went with a pse primos. i finally did find some research and the golden eagle was indeed a heavy bow, and a buddy who has been shooting oneidas for year said they can be loud and have been known for limb failure. the pse primos is a cannon shooting bow was very surprised when i shot it.