Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coolers

mpavarro8

What’s your favorite cooler brand and size? I’ll use it for everything from quartered deer, camping, fishing trips, etc…
Leaning towards Cabelas right now but open to suggestions.

Reactions: Jorgenson

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It all depends on the planned use. For camping and parties, RTIC 45 and 65 work great for me. For day trips and boating, or a quick trip to the beach, I really like my Yeti Hopper 20. For holding quartered deer parts you're gonna want something like 100-qt or bigger. My 65-qt just isn't quite big enough IMO.

These days, all of the big name coolers are awesome. You really can't go wrong. It's a Ford/Chevy type debate really.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I've got 2 big Coleman coolers I bought at Walmart and they serve their purpose.. Been out on the boat all day come home and the cooler has sat in the boat for another day and still has ice and cold beer in it... No need for something high priced...

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Rtic coolers are great for keeping meat FROZEN! After picking my processed deer up at the butcher in Ohio, I’ll throw a bag of ice on it and after a 8 1/2 hour trip home, not one package has thawed. I have the 65 and also the 20 for fishing trips and to get turkey meat home. Rtic coolers are about half of the price of Yeti, but just as good.

Reactions: giles and Dustinb80

Jorgenson

New York

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Yeti, RTIC, etc. are all great but do you need that capability?

Camping on the beach on barrier islands for a week, we still had ice in the yetis and pelicans.

I age deer quarters in my 65qt pelican.

I think RTIC are nice, i have their soft sided one and it's nice for day tripping.

20qt Yeti.... is nice and looks nicer than many other brands.

35qt pelican great size as a weekend trip

65 qt pelican my go to for bigger trips or more people.

Pelican are cheaper than yeti, made in usa and better warranty. More utilitarian in look.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have 2 Coleman extreme and there is a significant difference in weight, and ice holding ability but they'd work for most weekend adventures.

Reactions: giles

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
RTIC has coolers on sale now! I was just looking at a 145qt. Most of all rotomolded coolers are the shit. Every cooler has pros and cons. Most coolers will keep ice longer than you need on average.

The differences are
Weight
Size
Durability
Cost
Longevity
Needs for ice to last longer
Replacement of hinges

Buy once, cry once!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I joined the 65 Qt. Cool Kids Club finally
20200823_112322.jpg

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I love how they call a 120 QT cooler "portable" I bet that sucker is every bit of 250 lbs loaded. 😅
I hope I get to find out haha. I'll use it for salmon and I cant count how many times Nate has killed a deer on a sunday evening and had to take it home then to his butcher the next morning. Now we can just skin and quarter it, wrap it with the Industrial cellophane and pack it on ice and throw it in his truck