Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cotty's Hunt Journal

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
One bad thing... I could put corn out, but I have no way of monitoring it. This is the spot where my camera was stolen. I'm not chancing another one.

The hunter numbers have dwindled now in the late season and I doubt anyone will venture back there until muzzy season. But, still don't wanna take the chance.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I don't blame you one bit Mike! I had one stolen this year as well. I'd just go on big tracks as long as this snow sticks around. It's a damn shame you can't run cameras without worrying that it'll get snatched though!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Went out to a local farmer and picked up two 50lb bags of ear corn for $10.

Went back to the Outback just now and out more out.
There were more fresh tracks near my stand, but they didn't find the corn yet. They missed it by 20 yards.

I'm not sure when they're moving past that stand, but it sure isn't between 3-5:30 pm.

I'll be hunting the farm tonight where Kody shot his buck last year.
Kody wants to give it a shot. I'll be sitting with Klay. A doe is his. A good buck is mine.

I'll be back in the Outback tomorrow.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good luck, Mike! Front coming in, might help you out. I'd rather have my tag and be able to hunt right now than be done. You are one lucky man! :)

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good luck, Mike! Front coming in, might help you out. I'd rather have my tag and be able to hunt right now than be done. You are one lucky man! :)

Lol!
I'd rather have a big rack in my hands.

Saw 7 doe feeding by the barn of the farm we hunted tonight when we pulled in at 2:00.

On stand saw 3 doe and a spike about 100 yards away. Nothing in range for anyone. At least we saw deer!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Went to pit fresh corn out today and walked right up on Jagger. He wa bedded right behind my stand. Fugger...

Put corn out, checked the cam, he wasn't on there. Strange?!?!? Did get pics of a shed buck.

He jumped up and stopped broadside at 60 yards for about a minute. Why couldn't it have been muzzy season???

I'm sure he's there eating corn. The camera was position a little far to the left and I think it missed him. I had a bunch of half body pics.

So, I'm putting Kody there this evening with my dad in hopes that he comes back.

I'm heading to the Outback.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good deal, Mike! I think you will get your chance if the weather gets nasty...and maybe even this weekend! He's still there, he just needs to show up with daylight.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Kody almost got a shot at a high racked 8 point. It stood at 40 yards but never came in the clearing.
According to my dad there were too many branches.
According to Kody he had a window to slip the arrow through. Lol

They also saw 2 doe before the buck and one came in after.

I got skunked for the final time at the Outback.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's just getting good, Mike! Those nice bucks are MORE killable now than ever. They will make a mistake and show in daylight one of these days.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
In regard to the Outback stand, I've had corn there for 5 days. One set of tracks went through it. Some corn gone. Lots of corn left.
I figure, why bother there? I really hadn't seen much there anyway. I was just hoping late season would bring them to the corn. I did miss the big 9 there, but I think I saw less than 15 deer there the whole season. Lol
I wasted a lot of days there in hopes of one making a mistake.

The big bucks are there, it's just a bitch to hunt and I guess they don't cruise the woods line like I thought they would. They for sure don't feed in the field.

So, I'm going to focus on getting Kody a shot at Jagger and on the days he can't go, I'll go. I'm running out of time though.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If they aren't coming to the corn, there is a reason they don't like that area. Who knows what that may be. I'd abandon it too! Scoop up your corn and take it where they want to be. :)

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If they aren't coming to the corn, there is a reason they don't like that area. Who knows what that may be. I'd abandon it too! Scoop up your corn and take it where they want to be. :)

Lmao!
I felt like a real Scrooge, but I did just that. Most was on the cob, so I loaded up my backpack as much as I could and left. Went to the truck and out it back in the corn sack. Fugg them fuggers up there.