Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Could you kill these?

wdbak

SE Ohio
Good. :) welcome to too.

Thanks, I know it's an emotional issue. Management/mismanagement of resources gets me kind of fired up sometimes. It just seemed like I was messin with a few people cause I have some different beliefs about animals and nature. No harm meant. Bake.

wdbak

SE Ohio
Wdbak, it really would be beneficial for you to look up this already discussed topic. Joes right, at the rate of the deer decline over the past 4 years and the unwillingness of the ODNR to listen to the hunter majority, we WILL be in the same boat as MI,PA and WV.

Since I can't find where you posted on the welcome forum anywhere, why don't you post some info about yourself. This site has alot to offer and home to many great guys.

Welcome to TOO!

Thanks, I live in Athens county far out enough that the air smells sweet and most days can't hear any people noise although sometimes I make a little myself. I have 50 acres that I bought 30 years ago. When I moved here it was mostly fields so I planted 5000 white and loblolly pine and allowed some other areas to go back to the natural progression with intervention to help the more desirable species. I just finished a thinning of one loblolly/white pine stand. I cut, sawed, and built my own log house and it turned out pretty good. I have one meadow that I burn on occasion to keep it a meadow. I have a beautiful understanding wife, three sons, three mini schnauzers, (thats a whole nother story), three chickens and 22 eggs in the incubator, a bat house in the barn full of mosquito eaters, a snappin turtle in the pond that I can pet and feed dog food. I'm semi retired, keep honeybees, and like to ride my mountain bike, and am trying to get back into running since a real bad injury. I'm a Christian but sometimes I don't act like it. Old habits die hard. But life is a learning experience and I'm trying to pay attention. Not meanin to go on and on. Thanks for the welcome.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks for the info Bake! Its always nice to know alittle about someone instead of relying on opinions being typed on a keyboard. We all have different perspectives and opinions on various subject matter brought up on this site and there is nothing wrong with voicing one that might be of the minority. Just ask Mike! Lol

We all just have to be civil in our discussions otherwise it turns into a pissing match like you find on other hunting websites. This often leads to nothing positive and is counter-productive. The core group of guys on this website know we have a great place to share with each other and want to keep it that way. You seem like a guy who has the same passion and love for the outdoors and our wildlife that the good Lord blessed us with. That's what matters most!

I'm looking forward to hearing some of your past hunting stories and some of your hunting tactics as we all can learn alittle something from each other on here.

Welcome again to TOO!

Lundy

There was one that I wish I could have killed yesterday.

Two coyotes around 5 min apart coming from my neighbors house around 6 AM. The first is maybe 100 yds away, the second, a few minutes later makes a turn and comes within 15 yards of my standing on my front porch and never even saw me as he trotted by.

I have been hearing the pups howling and barking at night for a few weeks now across the road from me. I have lived here for 4 years and this only the second time I have ever seen one around here during daylight hours. I know that they are increasing in numbers around be from hearing them and seeing the tracks around my property. I don't think I can start blasting away around here without alarming my neighbors.

My dogs are large enough that they are probably safe and they are always with me when they are outside, but you never know. My sisters dog was killed in Lancaster years ago when attacked by coyotes, died a few days later from infection, vet couldn't save her.

Had I been armed yesterday I would have killed the close one for sure. He was in my pistol range:D

wdbak

SE Ohio
If it was coming from the neighbors house and you killed it they probably would have been mad if they let it out to pee..... I was puttin my lunch box in the back of my truck years ago right after daylight and got a creepy feelin. I looked around and a big coyote was standing by the corner of my barn 40 yds away stairin at me. As soon as we made eye contact he bolted. Another time one passed behind the house at 50 yds, two mornings in a row. I kept the gun loaded in the kitchen for two weeks and never saw it again. You know what they say, If you're more than two seconds from your gun you're just another victim.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

What did this was once a puppy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339803619.653679.jpg

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great article in Deer and Deer Hunting this month about it. The impact of predation on fawns is worse than most experts thought before the study was done.
I'll post up some info from the article later on. Or maybe I can find a web link.

mrex

*Supporting member*
Several years ago, I let the DOW radio collar fawns on my place as part of a fawn fall recruitment study...and yes, our DNR wants to learn more about what actually goes on here in Ohio. We lost about 1/3 of the fawns to coyote predation!

A side bar of interest, one of the buck fawns that was collard on my place was killed by a hunter 4 years later over 10 miles from here...as the crow flies...which supports the theory that you can't really "grow" or manage for big bucks unless you control many thousands of acres.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I seen a coyote on the way to work Thursday with a fawn in it's mouth. First time I have ever seen that in person. Any one I see gets a bullet.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Several years ago, I let the DOW radio collar fawns on my place as part of a fawn fall recruitment study...and yes, our DNR wants to learn more about what actually goes on here in Ohio. We lost about 1/3 of the fawns to coyote predation!

A side bar of interest, one of the buck fawns that was collard on my place was killed by a hunter 4 years later over 10 miles from here...as the crow flies...which supports the theory that you can't really "grow" or manage for big bucks unless you control many thousands of acres.

Interesting to know they have been watching this. Thanks Mike. Unfortunately, it is hard to fix the problem until they realize it IS a problem. Now that it is becoming more known, recognized, and publicized, I am curious to see what solutions people come up with. Whether the ODNR or the hunters, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

In regards to "growing bucks", that does not surprise me. Seems like it is more critical to have a property which holds mature bucks than it is to "grow them".

Here is one off a trail camera card I swapped out today. It appears there is something in it's mouth, but I cannot tell for sure what it is.

Attachments

• 068 6-2-12 coyote carrying something.jpg
    068 6-2-12 coyote carrying something.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 154
Last edited: