Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Covid-19 future outcomes

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I think we will see a huge increase in the number of grant dollars made available for vaccine development and research. There will be a push to develop better treatments and varied ways of dealing with the diseases caused by (beta)coronaviruses.

On the dark side I see lots and lots of legislation introduced laying out what the government WILL do and what us serfs WILL do the next time there is an outbreak somewhere. Much like Homeland Security/TSA were forced on us after 9/11 despite there never being any evidence that they do anything except delay us from getting on planes.

Outside

A few things which if they occur, would be good:

1. More API's are manufactured here in the USA.
2. FDA makes product approvals more of a priority.
3. Legislation regarding the ability for private labs to perform tests without a prescription are passed.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I think we will see a huge increase in the number of grant dollars made available for vaccine development and research. There will be a push to develop better treatments and varied ways of dealing with the diseases caused by (beta)coronaviruses.

On the dark side I see lots and lots of legislation introduced laying out what the government WILL do and what us serfs WILL do the next time there is an outbreak somewhere. Much like Homeland Security/TSA were forced on us after 9/11 despite there never being any evidence that they do anything except delay us from getting on planes.
All in the name of safety... SMDH

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Innovation will happen. Change will happen. Good. And bad. New businesses will emerge. Some businesses will die. Those innovating will be both regarded and hated. (Think of the 'no crisis wasted' quote. Good and bad come from this.) Other businesses will transform and adapt.

I'm selfishly hoping people will find a renewed belief and need to have more God in their lives. Whether you are a believer in God or not. . . Isn't this really a battle of good versus evil? Positive minds versus negative minds?

Reactions: Tipmoose

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I agree with Ben. Especially because God has nothing to do with the last sentence. A positive mind versus a negative mind can be influenced by God, but it doesn't take God, or any version thereof, to be a positive minded person.

Reactions: jagermeister

Bigcountry40

In regards to elementary and high school education going more virtual, I disagree- the amount of cheating, plagiarism, flat out sorriness, etc may cause a backlash in virtual education. The state may give these kids a pass this year, but accountability and standards are not going anywhere, which there isnt much with virtual schools. We have already seen it with ECOT (thats whole other conversation and argument).

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
In regards to elementary and high school education going more virtual, I disagree- the amount of cheating, plagiarism, flat out sorriness, etc may cause a backlash in virtual education. The state may give these kids a pass this year, but accountability and standards are not going anywhere, which there isnt much with virtual schools. We have already seen it with ECOT (thats whole other conversation and argument).

Not to open a can of worms but there isn't in brick and mortar either.. My niece is a dumb shit and graduated from a B+ rated high school after she failed every single one of her senior classes with nothing above a 40, didn't complete the community college classes, and showed up maybe 2 days a week the entire year... She graduated. My nephew didn't pass a single class his entire senior year and got busted numerous times not working like he said he was to get credit for a mandatory class. It's all a farce anyway.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Not to open a can of worms but there isn't in brick and mortar either.. My niece is a dumb shit and graduated from a B+ rated high school after she failed every single one of her senior classes with nothing above a 40, didn't complete the community college classes, and showed up maybe 2 days a week the entire year... She graduated. My nephew didn't pass a single class his entire senior year and got busted numerous times not working like he said he was to get credit for a mandatory class. It's all a farce anyway.

Schools get graded on graduation rates so they have a vested interest in keeping that number up even if those graduating aren’t deserving

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
...China will rue what it begat.

That is, it will come to appreciate fully that the supposed efficiency, ruthlessness, and autocracy of the Communist Party — what had so impressed foolish American journalists who once marveled at Beijing’s ability to enact by fiat liberal pet projects such as high-speed rail and solar industries — were China’s worst enemies, ensuring that the virus would spread and that China’s international reputation would be ruined.

The coronavirus could be the straw that breaks the proverbial back of the Chinese camel, stooped under the recent weight of a trade war with the U.S., the revelation of 1 million Uighurs in reeducation camps, the crackdown on Hong Kong democracy protesters, and news of the sprawling Chinese internal-surveillance apparat. The world is now both terrified and put off by China, and such anathemas will only harm its already suspect and misbegotten Silk Road neocolonial schemes.

Here in the U.S., COVID-19 will create bipartisan pressure to adopt policies of keeping key U.S. industries — such as medical supplies, pharmaceuticals, and military applied high-tech — in America. Americans will not again wish to outsource the vast majority of their chemotherapy-drug, antibiotic, and heart-medicine production to a government that cannot be trusted and that sees such globalized output as a weapon to be used in extremis.

Although we cannot see it now, spin-off effects from the panic and frenzy will eventually fuel more economic recovery. Oil prices are nearing record modern lows, ensuring cheap gas for spring and summer American drivers. Cheap mortgages and car loans likewise will spur buying, as will relief once the virus wanes and splurging ensue.

It will be salutary for Americans to once again appreciate the value of muscular labor, as those who grow food, transport it, and provide us energy and sanitation while protecting us from danger, foreign and domestic, have allowed millions of Americans to stay home, sequestered and quarantined but safe with plenty of food, water, and uninterrupted sanitation and public safety. In these days of crisis, we should not forget that millions of often unmentioned Americans have made us the world’s greatest energy and most diverse food producer — a singular position that China, with over four times our population, envies.

Before the outbreak, China was trying to game its trade war in terms of how best to hurt the hated Trump administration. Ironically, its abhorrence only strengthened the U.S. in ways no one in the pre-COVID-19 days could have imagined.

Call it paradox, irony, karma, or even tragedy, but China emerges from its deceit about the coronavirus outbreak in its weakest position since its Westernization began under Deng Xiaoping. And the U.S., after some rocky months ahead, if it stays calm, will likely reemerge in its strongest state in memory vis-à-vis its rivals.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/coronavirus-china-response-will-weaken-it-on-world-stage/

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
On some really good but kind of bad news, the dollar is soaring and has seen the largest 7-day valuation climb since George Soros broke the bank of England back in 92. As the world's reserve currency, the demand for the dollar has skyrocketed this past week as countries look to shore up their cross border trading currency. The feds will be spinning up the printing presses shortly. What does this mean for you.. Well for starters.. It's going to be a good time to buy Gold and Silver to stock up on your reserve currency.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
If u have a traditional IRA or a 401(k) plan that allows it, now is a great time to do a ROTH conversation on a part of it. Just make sure you have the liquid funds to pay the tax bill next spring.

Reactions: 5Cent