Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote Trapping 101

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
To start off with, I don’t claim to be a professional coyote trapper but was asked to share some info and experiences I have had on the trapline.
I have trapped coyotes for 20+ years in northern Ohio and absolutely love the challenge they present. My son started tagging along with me when he was 2 years old and is now setting his own traps at the age of 6. He has been a very good student and has had very good success over the past 2 years. Last year, I allowed him to set snares around the house and he ended up catching a red fox (which is at the taxidermist) a coon, and a couple possums. This year, I allowed him to run his own line on the properties I am trapping yotes. He is 100% independent setting snares. When using leg holds, I set the trap for him and he does the rest. He ended up catching 22 coon, 7 possums, 2 mink, 1 red fox, and 1 coyote. I am super proud of him to say the least.

1F540C08-1563-409B-B07E-B02DAEEDF62B.jpeg
E74F85BE-6B08-451C-8601-31A5569BC1D8.jpeg
FE058210-01DC-4FFB-B1AA-A513AF65C61F.jpeg
D9486CFB-125D-435F-8F1D-B099116BB6C0.jpeg
A07FDBCE-5C59-40B0-9463-7D3BEE46134C.jpeg
327CD722-1203-45D4-AE50-D304BC12B6A7.jpeg
B08F2DCC-E2C9-4F04-89BA-ECD96A31A4AF.jpeg

On to coyote trapping:
Location, Location, Location is the #1 key to catching yotes. You can have the prettiest looking set in the world but unless it is in a good location you won’t consistently catch fur. I love setting travel routes and my go to travel routes are farm lanes and weed filled water ways. I would say 75% of my yotes are caught within 15 feet of a lane or waterway.
Key #2: scent control
I am very big on scent control. I always wear gloves when handling my traps. After my set is made, I use a different pair of gloves when handling bait/lures. After completing a set, I stay away from the area checking the set from a distance using binocs. I caught a yote this year 2 weeks after putting in the set and not walking up to it until dispatching the animal.
Bait/lure: Mark June’s Widow Maker is my number 1 bait and windwalker and fox frenzy which are also Mark June products are my top two lures. I also like hell fire lure by Dunlap.
Key #3 Sight Appeal
I always give my sets good eye appeal. Coyotes are curious and are willing to investigate anything that catches their eye. I like to use charred pieces of wood, clumps of grass, and mounds (hay, bean chaff, corn stalks) to catch their eye.
Types of Sets:
I use a variety of flat sets, hay/chaff sets, dirt hole sets, and pipe dream sets. Of those, I have the least amount of success with dirt holes. If you have questions, I can go into detail about how I make each.
Hopefully this provides a little insight on coyote trapping. I am happy to answer any questions or clarify anything from my post.

Attachments

• 7FA6BB19-FBD8-4FB1-86F1-3A309BB055D0.jpeg
    7FA6BB19-FBD8-4FB1-86F1-3A309BB055D0.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 767
  • A9C865EB-B062-45A4-8AA6-1B81EAC58EC1.jpeg
    A9C865EB-B062-45A4-8AA6-1B81EAC58EC1.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 647
  • 92A7F43F-B795-4222-9ED5-E14AFB54AE3D.jpeg
    92A7F43F-B795-4222-9ED5-E14AFB54AE3D.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 755

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hope too see more of your posts on this subject and showing how your son is advancing with it. Great thread, thanks for starting it...

Chass

The Hills
I got a question about coons. I use the dog proof traps but I frequently come across them with broken arms. Like bone sticking out and hand held on by a sliver of skin. Is this preventable? And what do you think chances of infection and ultimate death are because of this. Depending on size I like to let em go to grow unless they're a nuisance but if their gonna suffer I'd figure putting them down would be best. Thoughts?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awesome! Thank you Ryan! I actually cut a couple pieces of pipe yesterday to try a couple pipe dream sets. Gonna give that a try really soon.

If you don’t mind, please elaborate on the bait vs lure subject. I’ve been using some windwalker lure but honestly I don’t really understand the rationale of one versus another.

Reactions: 5Cent

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
I got a question about coons. I use the dog proof traps but I frequently come across them with broken arms. Like bone sticking out and hand held on by a sliver of skin. Is this preventable? And what do you think chances of infection and ultimate death are because of this. Depending on size I like to let em go to grow unless they're a nuisance but if their gonna suffer I'd figure putting them down would be best. Thoughts?
I cannot help you on that one. I don’t target coon so I don’t own any dog proof traps. Sorry

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
Awesome! Thank you Ryan! I actually cut a couple pieces of pipe yesterday to try a couple pipe dream sets. Gonna give that a try really soon.

If you don’t mind, please elaborate on the bait vs lure subject. I’ve been using some windwalker lure but honestly I don’t really understand the rationale of one versus another.[/

If you don’t mind, please elaborate on the bait vs lure subject. I’ve been using some windwalker lure but honestly I don’t really understand the rationale of one versus another.
L
Lure is a curiosity scent that will bring a yote to your set. Bait is something you put in your hole or pipe for them to work for for food

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
I forgot to mention earlier that I strictly use mb 550’s for all my coyote sets. Also, I use pete moss and waxed dirt to keep my traps firing during the winter.

Set #1 Pipe dream
With this set, I like to use a tuff of grass or small clump of weeds that sticks out. Use the grass/weeds as the backing so the yote can’t sneak in from behind. I pound in a 10” piece of white or gray 1” pvc pipe (drill a couple drain holes in the pipe) into the ground directly in front of the backing leaving about an inch visible. I dig my bed so the center of my pan is 6-8” from the pipe. Cover the trap with a thin layer of grass/weed clippings (less cover is better than more). I can often still see parts of my trap. Place bait in the top of the pipe and your set is done.

The first pic is of the actual location (note, I left the pipe exposed for the pic). Second pic shows the patch of weeds in the bean field where I made the set. Top pic shows the patch of weeds (red circle) and the river (blue line) I caught 3 yotes and a red fox in this set.
9A8072F1-BD78-44B7-B26C-BB53CE54A20E.jpeg
93D06F78-6131-4F81-A94B-EA4B5D891EAE.jpeg
FBEBC73E-0035-4CA8-BEF7-AB9BD807C1BE.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great thread Ryan! My kid just mentioned tonight that he wanted to start trapping yotes. I’ve snared then but have never set a leg hold in my life. I’ll be sure to have him look at your thread. Thanks again!

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
Set #2. Hay Set

This is a very easy set but I have caught more coyotes in this set than any of the others. I save my corn bags and fill them with loose hay to use for this set. (I will also use horse manure, been chaff and corn stalks). Dump out the hay creating a mound. Make a hole (the same size you would for a dirt hole) so it looks like something is digging under the pile of hay. Bed your trap 6 inches in front and slightly offset of the hole. Cover with fine hay. Add bait to hole and gland/urine to the hay pile.
Note: If the location calls for it, I will place a trap on both sides of the pile.
8360411B-C199-4016-BE26-F542BC228613.jpeg
4C97DFA8-B63D-4E09-8D71-2E7A5B286519.jpeg
765C8C0F-C4B8-4BB9-B38B-93D699240B55.jpeg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice. Looks good Ryan!

Can you explain why you would use a flat set instead of a dirt hole set, or vice versa? What’s the advantage of one over the other?

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
For whatever reason, I never had a lot of success with a traditional dirt hole set so I just use flat sets. It is just a preference; Both of them catch fur. Chevy vs Ford

Reactions: xbowguy