Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Crossbow Lifespan?

All the distances still apply. My max with a compound is 40 yards same for crossbow.
The guy that does my venison processing, shot this buck at 74 yards. The shot was taken in an open corn stubble field and it ran 25 yards and died. He had shot his Ravin R10 at 100 yards and was able to attain 2" groups. Shooting abilities vary from person to person. :cool:

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Billy Johnson Raven R20.jpg
    Billy Johnson Raven R20.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: Big_Holla

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Yeah I can shoot but with a 305 fps bow it takes a while for the bolt to get to fifty yards. Crossbows are loud. Doesn't matter how much after market shit you put on them to keep them quiet. Bow hunting is about getting close not farther away. If I want to shoot a hundred yards I'd wait for gun season

Fletch

Supporting Member
As Clint Eastwood said: " A man has to know his limitations "... I would never shoot 50 yds let alone 100 yds. at a deer with any kind of bow... Too much can happen and we must respect the animals we hunt.... Besides I love thick shit so I'll never get a 50 yd. shot... 20 yds is stretching it....

I became impatient waiting on an email reply, from Ravin, so I just called them and talked to a guy in tech support. (y)
His advice was to lubricate the strings and cables, any day that I hunt with it and the temperatures are below freezing. Otherwise, replace the strings and cables every 400 shots or 2 years, whichever comes first. As for the 600 grain arrows, he was not in favor of that idea. They're coming out with a 500 grain arrow, this Spring and it would be fine to use those. However, he said the speed would drop from 400 to 375.

I felt better after actually talking with a Ravin employee, rather than buying into what I've been reading on other websites. :)
I'll keep using it as recommended and be happy. :cool:

Bowhunter57

Reactions: Big_Holla

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I became impatient waiting on an email reply, from Ravin, so I just called them and talked to a guy in tech support. (y)
His advice was to lubricate the strings and cables, any day that I hunt with it and the temperatures are below freezing. Otherwise, replace the strings and cables every 400 shots or 2 years, whichever comes first. As for the 600 grain arrows, he was not in favor of that idea. They're coming out with a 500 grain arrow, this Spring and it would be fine to use those. However, he said the speed would drop from 400 to 375.

I felt better after actually talking with a Ravin employee, rather than buying into what I've been reading on other websites. :)
I'll keep using it as recommended and be happy. :cool:

Bowhunter57

Yeah because he has no reason to sugarcoat it. 😂

Fletch

Supporting Member
Bowhunter57.... Calling Ravin is like going in a restaurant and asking how the food is.... I think Joe is also hinting at this... Your putting way too much thought into this... And I thought I was bad..:ROFLMAO: Maintain the bow as per manual and use it... You'll be fine... Now go shoot a deer....

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Johnny44

Late to the party but I bought a Horton from Sportsmansguide about 7/8 years ago. I took one shot, and the limb shattered. I sent it back, SG has impeccable customer service and warranties everything as long as you have the original packing slip. They sent me a new one, but this one had an issue with the scope. They sent me a new scope. That one had an issue. Finally, I just said lets try a different one altogether. Got the Carbon Express X-Force. From what I understand, Horton was having some issues back then when they were about to shut down, prior to being bought out by TenPoint. (My facts here may not be spot on) Regardless, I use the shit out of mine and keep the strings waxed. Knock on wood I have never had an issue. This was a $400 crossbow so I would hope a $2,000 crossbow wouldn't have issues or would at least have a legit warranty.

Bowkills

Nw oh
A friend of mine is still hunting with a Jennings devastater that's a mid 80s crossbow I think, that was high end for back then. Not sure how many strings he's put on it. I'd get comfy with that thing so explosion is not in the back of your mind every time you shoot. Go kill one.

Reactions: Bowhunter57

steveOh

Dayton Area
I have a Horton Hunter that I bought in '92. Still going strong and all I have been doing is changing the string every now and then........just saying:whistle: