Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cutting the Cord: Eliminating cable or satellite...

Buckmaster

Portage
Yeah if you have a data cap, streaming video is going to eat up a lot of it.

I checked with my tech savy wife last night. She said until we find a better internet option, we have no alternative TV options.

So satellite internet and TV it is until technologies improve.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
December bill with DirectTV was $118.61.

January bill after changing programming was $98.43.

I called today and got it cut to $51 with a 12-month commitment. I can live with $51 a month...

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well Jesse i finally had enough of my Directv bill going up and said fugg it and cut the cable a week ago.
Honestly i thought i might miss it but not so.
Just got me an antenna,we do have netflix so their is plenty there to watch.
We honestly only watch about 1 to 2 hrs of tv a day through the week so good riddance to cable.
I figure since i dont have it now that will just be an extra $115 a month i will put in the safe each month.
Will add up quick over the next several yrs.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Right now, several people called Direct and bitched about there bill. Threatened to switch to cable and Direct gave them a much better deal for what they already had. Guess they are loosing a lot of business and willing to deal.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Right now, several people called Direct and bitched about there bill. Threatened to switch to cable and Direct gave them a much better deal for what they already had. Guess they are loosing a lot of business and willing to deal.

I called last week after getting a bill for $119. First lady I talked to, I told her I wanted to lower my bill but I wasnt cutting any programming. She said Im not sure I can elp you do that. So I said get me someone who will. About 10 minutes later with their retention department, My bill is now $57 a month and they gave me Showtime free for 4 months and my current bill she knocked off $65. All I had to do was do a 1 year comittment

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep i have played that game with them way too many times,why not just keep it at that price,you will be calling back in a little over a yr to play the same game.
After cancelling they blew up our phone to try and get us back,oh you were such good customers blah blah blah.
We can get ya a better deal and can give you my direct number so you wont be on hold forever blah blah blah.
Said if we were such good loyal customers why keep raising our bill. No answer for that one.
Started out at 46 dollars ended up at 115.
Done playing their horseshit games they can have it.
Dont miss it and with netflix who needs it,if i wanna watch any hunting i can stream youtube through my tv,plenty of stuff on there without all the bullshit advertising.
I honestly thought i would miss it but after a week without i could care less and their are plenty of other things to keep me busy.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Yep i have played that game with them way too many times,why not just keep it at that price,you will be calling back in a little over a yr to play the same game.
After cancelling they blew up our phone to try and get us back,oh you were such good customers blah blah blah.
We can get ya a better deal and can give you my direct number so you wont be on hold forever blah blah blah.
Said if we were such good loyal customers why keep raising our bill. No answer for that one.
Started out at 46 dollars ended up at 115.
Done playing their horseshit games they can have it.
Dont miss it and with netflix who needs it,if i wanna watch any hunting i can stream youtube through my tv,plenty of stuff on there without all the bullshit advertising.
I honestly thought i would miss it but after a week without i could care less and their are plenty of other things to keep me busy.

I hear you man, good for you. I've been off the cable tit for a good while now and don't miss it at all. They've taken enough of my cash over the years. No more.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Heck yea Blan i figure thats almost $1,400 a year in savings,hell add that up for the next 10 yr's thats alot of savings,especially for those people stuck with Time Warner who are paying 200 or more a month.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My ATT uverse bill started at 112 and was 172 a month when I cut it off. I kept internet which they said would cost $69 a month for 12 mb because I was debundling. I told him I wanted the 16 mb a month for $54. He gave me some crap about how that's for new customers. I told him I'm paying $54 for 16 or I'm going to be an ex customer. He tried to play math with me and said he could get it to $62 and it would cost me $100 in installation and activation to switch so really that extra $7 a month is only $84 a year so it doesn't make sense to switch. I said, look here bud I'm standing to loose $16 if I switch, you're looking at losing $650. The cards aren't in your hands. Now that I think about it like that you should make it 50 a month.

He gave me 54 a month for a year.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I called last week after getting a bill for $119. First lady I talked to, I told her I wanted to lower my bill but I wasnt cutting any programming. She said Im not sure I can elp you do that. So I said get me someone who will. About 10 minutes later with their retention department, My bill is now $57 a month and they gave me Showtime free for 4 months and my current bill she knocked off $65. All I had to do was do a 1 year comittment

Basically what they gave me. And when it's up, I'll call and bitch again. lmao

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Im starting to give this some serious thought as well. My only issue is sports. College Football and Basketball and The Masters. How am I going to be able to watch those? Netflix doesn't stream live sports... yet

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Im starting to give this some serious thought as well. My only issue is sports. College Football and Basketball and The Masters. How am I going to be able to watch those? Netflix doesn't stream live sports... yet

People I've talked to use a hacked amazon firestick that allows streaming of channels like espn etc.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I have the hacked Amazon Fire stick, I haven't checked it for sports tho. Im still on a Sopranos and Justified kick right now.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have the hacked Amazon Fire stick, I haven't checked it for sports tho. Im still on a Sopranos and Justified kick right now.

I just found justified on amazon a couple weeks ago. Just finished season 3 last night. Good show.