Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CVA Wolf

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
A buddy was given a CVA Wolf and has the following questions which I can't answer. Any help I can give him would be appreciated.

.50 Cal CVA Wolf muzzy. This is my first experience with them, but I've always wanted to pursue this type of gun. What do you recommend for a cleaning kit, ammo, powder and a scope?

Huckleberry Finn

What do you recommend for a cleaning kit, ammo, powder and a scope?

Cabela's has some nice starter kits. Good place to start and then figure out what you want.

As for scopes, I also put a Cabela's scope on mine. Not a $1,000 scope but it's a step above truglow sites.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Assuming its a in-line or percussion and that he is using a 209 primer... most guys use either "Power Belt" or "Thompson - Shock Wave" ( I use the Shockwave) Like any gun, he will have to experiment with the two types as well as the different weights they come in.

As far as powder; basic brands are Pyrodex, Blackhorn or (my choice) Hodgdon Triple Se7en. I shoot pellets (2-50 grain) in my in-line. He may want to experiment with loose granular (not pellets) powder to re-fine the charge.

As Huck said, there are basic smoke pole cleaning kits out there for starters. His ram-rod is the cleaning rod so it will be things like a cleaning jag and smaller items and the solvent.

Sounds like he's in for a fun day or two at the range. I would suggest having someone already up to speed go along and help out until he gets the hang of the loading process.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Any 209 primers should work just fine. For powder I would recommend triple 7 pellets, they are less corrosive than pyrodex and a LOT easier to clean up after. Start with 100 grains, IMO there is no need to shoot 150 grains for a whitetail. Power belt bullets are great to use also.....anywhere between 200-250 grain bullets are plenty. As far as a good scope, I would recommend a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x 40....very good quality at an affordable price.

You can pick up a cleaning kit for muzzleloaders at any outdoor store, or even meijer or wal-mart.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I bought one of these for my wife and we both really like it. I topped it with a Tasco 3x9 scope, nothing great, but good enough for a $180 gun. We shot the Remington Kleen Bore primers and I do believe they are the best primers for a muzzleloader IMO. I shot 100 grains of Triple 7 powder behind a 245 grain Powerbelt Platinum Aerotip sabot. She dropped 3 deer in their tracks with this gun and it was a solid 125 yard and in gun. As far as cleaning goes, warm water will get the bore and breech clean, but the CVA Bore Butter is also very nice to have on hand. I also suggest using some petroluem jelly on the threads of the plug when you reinstall it to aid in removal down the road. When sighting it in, I shoot two shots, then swab the barrel and shoot two more. Then I do a complete cleaning.

If your buddy has any more questions, feel free to post them up. Lots of muzzleloading experience around here...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Agreed with Jesse on the Bore Butter, that and I also have some Breech Plug Grease that is essentially about the same as Jesse's suggestion about the jelly on the plug. Not as much of an issue these days with 209 primers, but I am very particular in how clean I keep my muzzleloader, have had too many issues with hang fires and complete misfires with mine back in the day. Most of which I contribute to flat out neglect in cleaning (young and stupid) and moisture.

Huckleberry Finn

When sighting it in, I shoot two shots, then swab the barrel and shoot two more. Then I do a complete cleaning.

You forgot drive down to the target, about 20 times, and wonder how the heck a kid showed up to hunt with that gun....