Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dante's 2014 - 2015 season

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Been pretty busy all summer, haven't had much time to get rolling. I feel I am a little behind.

I did manage to get a cam out a few weeks ago and have a good crop of bucks on one property, (see the redcloud dante pic thread) and last week I got lanes trimmed on one stand, and got another hung on a small new piece of property. I still have one to move, hopefully I can do that the weekend after next. Pretty much booked this weekend and just found out I have to work all next weekend, ... again... what else is new right? It'll work out well though because I moved the cam to the property that needs the stand moved so i can check the cam, move the stand in one shot and stay out till season.

I also blew the dust off my compound yesterday and ran a few arrows through it. seems to be hitting a little low, but the group was acceptable, so a little practice and a few tweeks and I should be good to go. Prolly wont use the recurve this year, I've just been too busy to shoot it lately.

It looks like I'll have a couple more hunting companions this season. My 9 year old grandson completed the hunter ed course in the spring and is excited to get out. I still need to get him some time with the crossbow to get ready and find him some camo. My oldest son started working with me a couple months ago and has been showing some interest as well. he is going to be at strouds with me this year, and is currently looking for a deal on a used compound so he can try bowhunting as well.

I have a lot to do yet, but it looks like I might be able to chip away at it and hopefully be ready for the opener.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Great to hear from ya dante! I'll tell ya what man I have my old Fred bear lights out I will sell ya for cheap if you're interested.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Just went to the back yard and shot a dozen arrows. All 12 in a group about the size of a coffee saucer from 30 yards. Still hitting low though, but not bad for not shooting for about 8 months.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Great to hear from ya dante! I'll tell ya what man I have my old Fred bear lights out I will sell ya for cheap if you're interested.

Possibly. He wants to buy it himself. Working on a first year apprentice wages dosent leave a lot of wiggle room. If the price is right he might be down with it. Draw length should be close, he's about your size, what about weight?

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county

Looks like my son is a bit closer to his first hunting season. We made a trip to cabelas today so he could shoot a few bows and narrow down his choices. When we walked in the guy was there, as always, trying to get people to fill out credit apps. I looked at Jesse and said " why not?"

I'll be damned if he didn't get approved. He tried several and settled on the PSE vision. He shot till he couldn't hardly hold the bow steady any more. Bow shoots nice, I ran a few through it myself. Not sure who is more excited.

My grandson will be here tomorrow to shoot the crossbow a bit and , thanks to mike, he has some camo on the way. Outta be some critters hit the ground around here this year.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just a suggestion though, tell him to loosen up his grip on his bow handle and relax it so reduce any torque issues. Awesome to see him getting into shooting and hunting with ya!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Just a suggestion though, tell him to loosen up his grip on his bow handle and relax it so reduce any torque issues.

Way ahead of ya, lol. I think he was getting tired of me pointing things out every time he drew. Lol. By the time we were done he had a nice loose frip, had settled on anchor points that he was comfortable with, and had some relatively consistent groups. I think his draw is a little short as well. I had to keep reminding myself what it was like when I first started shooting, I don't want to overload him with form suggestions right away, but I also wanted him getting stated without bad habits.

We have a buddy at work that used to shoot for bowtech. I think they have already made plans to hit the 3d course at cardinal in a couple weeks. Sounds like a good time to get a few of us together down there.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is great! Tell him part of his training will include dragging RC's deer out for RC this year. Looks like a tough young man if the red mark by his elbow was from the string and he was still shooting. lmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dave, I imagine you are more excited for this season than any other...ever! Congratulations, I hope you and your son enjoy the woods together often this fall! On a side note, my neighbor passed away suddenly Tuesday evening. At the visitation they had a video running showing the duration of his life. He was only 67 and had been in great health. Nearly every picture in the video included his family, and most involved some sort of outdoor activity: hunting, fishing, farming, something outdoors and with family. Those are the memories our families keep, enjoy making them!