Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dantes log

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Man... got that smoker rollin!!! Put a little more tinder in there and all my clothes, boots, gloves, hat, pack, and climber are smoked up. clothes are sealed in a bag, pack is hangin on the back porch. Gonna get my shower this evening, and when I get to my spot tomorrow morning, smoke up again, and be a smoke smellin, deer killin, mosheen...

note to self, dont smoke up on the back porch after it is all sealed up for the winter. My eyes are still burnin and my nose is still runnin.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
A.M. sit

wind - SSW 10 - 20 mph
temp upper 30s low 40s
clear skys
barometer - 30.2
moon - new

being prepared fell apart this morning. had trouble keeping the smoker lit again. straps of my harness were tangled up, I wasnt dressed nearly warm enough. got a later start than I wanted to. The sky was already starting to lighten up as I walked in. Started up the tree in my climber and heard blowing and snorting to my right. It wasnt light enough yet to make out what gender the deer was but judging by body size and the way it was acting I'm thinking young buck. he milled around for a bit trying to figure out what I was and eventually wandered away. As I was getting situated I spotted another good sized deer in a cut bean field to the north west. and a little later 2 more in the same field but on the opposite side.
The rest of the morning was pretty much uneventful, sat till about 10 oclock but then the urge to poo was to much. (must have been all the turkey yesterday) add that to the fact that I wasnt wearing enough clothes and was freezing, My cold seems to be getting worse and I couldnt stop sneezing, and I was unusually hungry. I decided to go home and come back out later for an evening sit.

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
last nights P.M. sit

wind - SSW 15 mph
temp - upper50s cooling quickly in the evening
mostly sunny
barometer - holding steady at 30.1
moon - new

When I got back to my spot around 1:00 I decided to get the drag rag out again. I wlked past my stand along the edge of the pasture and torned south at the corner where the deer busted me this morning. I got about 30 yards down the tree line and heard some rustling up ahead. I stopped and saw a buck get up from his bed and head out into another pasture on the other side of the fencerow. He went out about 60 to 70 yards and stopped to look back before continuing to the opposite side of the pasture and into the woods. I'll be damned if it wasnt the 8 point I shot and failed to recover a couple months ago. He looked healthy, big relief.

I continued down the fencerow with the drag rag, went through a gate, and back up the other side. When I reached the corner, I cut up through the woods and back past my stand. I didnt see anything else the rest of the day. Until dark. I was just getting ready to lower my bow down, when i spotted a dark shape coming out of the brush on the opposite side of the pasture. It was headed towards the trail I had left earlier. I looked at my clock, 8 minutes left.At the pace the deer was going it would have time to get to me. I was hoping it was a buck, would pick up the trail and come back past me. It got to the tree line and "vanished" it was dark enough I couldnt see where it went. I waited a few minutes past dark to make sure it was gone before climbing down. I almost had my climber packed up when I heard something blow at me from the edge of the pasture. could have been the same deer I saw earlier. was to dark to tell.

A.M. sit today

Temp - mid 40s
wind - 20 mph S SSW
cloudy
barometer - still 30.1 The barometer isnt moving and neither are the deer
moon - new

Was expecting redcloud to join me this morning. When he didnt show up I realized I didnt have time to get set up where I was planning to. I decided to sit in the same spot I was yesterday. Got in and set up much faster than yesterday but saw nothing at all. This spot is on top of a hill and the wind was absolutely sailing up there. got down around 9 9:30 plan to set up for an afternoon sit in a low spot or on the northside of the woods to get out of the wind. hopefully the front coming through tonight will stir up some action.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Dang alarm clock buttons are too close together. I swore I hit the snooze button. We will get some action this afternoon to make up for the crappy morning.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
P.M. sit

wind - S SSW 15 to 20 MPH calmed down brfore dusk
Temp - upper 50s
partly cloudy
barometer 30.01 came down a little
moon - new

Met up with redcloud around 2:00. I kidded him a bit about "sure, you kill a buck the second week of season and leave your huntin buddy hangin" Just kiddin bro. He decided to sit in a creekbottom toward the southwest side of the property hopeing to catch a doe coming out of bed. I decided to move up into the "north block" again. This is the fourth time I sat in this area. Every time before, I had an encounter with a buck I have called "angel" because he has got one on his shoulder.....

....He got me again.:smiley_blackeye:

meither of us saw anything move all afternoon. around ten after five I sent a text to R.C. saying we had about half an hour left and to change the spot we were going to meet to walk back to the vehicles. At about 5:30 I started to pack up. I lowered the bow down, put my bowhanger, and hook in my pack and was getting ready to lower it down too, when I heard leaves rustling to the west. I looked over and it was him. He had came in the northwest corner of the woods again. I swear, I had just looked out that way to see if he was coming through the cut corn and he wasnt there. There is a bit of a "blind spot" where there are some trees blocking my view, he must have been out there for a few minutes already.

At this point he was probably about 80 yards from me, it looked like he was going to continue south through the woods, but I wanted to get my bow back up just incase. I had already put the hook I hang my pack on in the pack so I had to carefully put it on my shoulders. "good, he didnt see me move" I slid my hand down and grabbed my rope and as the bow moved from the ground, it rustled the leaves a bit. That got his attention so i froze. After a minute he went back to feeding and I quietly brought my bow up, unhooked it and nocked an arrow. I believe the leaves rustling made him curious because he started my way.

It was getting darker.

He made his way to what I guessed to be about 30 to 35 yards in front of me, But it was already so dark that I couldnt see the saplings, branches, and rocks that I had ranged earlier, and I couldnt tell if there were any twigs or branches in my way. I was set up next to a spot where the fence behind me was broken and he seemed like he was heading that way. If he did, I knew I had a clear lane he would have to pass through, but he just continued to go straight. After he moved off and I knew he wasnt coming back, I looked at the time, 5:46. last time I needed him to take 3 more steps, this time I needed him to come out about 10 minutes earlier.

So next week it wont matter how far away he is, or what time it is, as long as I can see the cross hairs....

...Oh thats right, cant gun hunt this property. Bow only. We know there will be tresspassers in there anyway, but hopefully he gives them the slip too. Wasnt planning to hunt tomorrow but I might just have to.

OHHH... BTW.... GO BLUE!!!!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
P.M. sit

wind - NNE - 5 to 10 MPH
Temp - low 40s
Rain
barometer 29.92
moon, just past new

didnt see anything. Lots and Lots of shooting going on around me, but from what the GW said, nobody killed anything that he was aware of.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
P.M. sit last night
wind - ssw 10 mph
temp upper 20s
mostly sunny
barometer 31.37
moon - full

no sightings
trail cam shows one doe, one yearling, and a forkhorn to be the only survivors of gun week. dont plan on hunting this area anymore this season. Will check camera again in a couple weeks and pull my stand.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
A.M. sit yesterday

temp - low 30s
wind - NNW 5 to 10
mostly sunny
barometer 30.13
moon New

had a couple hours to sit in the morning. had 4 does come through at first light. to far away to take a shot at.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
P.M. sit last night

wind SSW - 5 to 10 MPH
Temp, upper 40s
mostly cloudy
barometer - 29.7
moon - last quarter

checked cams in a promising area. dissapointing. one cam had one deer show up in a week, the other one showed an amish fella coming out of the woods. otherwise, nothing at all.

hunted till dark, didnt see anything at all. beginning to think the action is all in the morning.

Is any body else still hunting? I havent seen many updates to logs. a few, but not many.

Gordo

Athens County
I've been waiting for conditions to be perfect to actually hunt. Running cams hard and am feeling good about late season. I need a string of cold days. I figured tomorrow would b great until I saw 16mph winds. Still might head out. My buck tags burning a hole in my pocket!

Stick with it buddy. Got a ways to go. Goodluck

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Stick with it fellas.....Wind is blowing here this evening and there was plenty of deer in the fields.... Took a ride before dark and seen plenty out in the wind. Supposed to start cooling down fast so that should help TOO.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hang with it! My son and I took a drive to spot some fields. Drove about 20 miles, glassing fields. Didn't see a deer. Pretty typical around here the last few years.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Keep at it Dante! I am letting the woods cool off and hitting it this weekend. Have a project to finish up at the house and waiting on a nice cold snap as well. Once it gets cold or snow on the ground again, I am going to be hitting it as much as I can.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
A.M. sit

temp - low 40s
sunny
wind - ssw 5 - 10 mph
barometer - 30.01
moon - full

got in stand around 6:30, sat till 10:00 didnt see anything but another hunter. Climbed down to do some ground and pound. walked around and into some known bedding areas hoping to kick something up. Nothing.
Met up with redcloud around noon to pull some trail cam cards. Not much movement at all in this area anymore. discussed some plans for hunting coyote due to the fact that i did spot a huge male running across a beanfield this morning. i believe its time to shift the focus to "those dirty dogs"