Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

deceptive pic...

Mao

Coshocton, OH
deceptively small... 2.5? 120ish?

Deer Pics 054.jpgDeer Pics 038.jpgDeer Pics 044.jpgDeer Pics 046.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I will commend you on the pictures. They are great. You have bigger ones waiting on you anyway. Next year or the year after he will be great. He is very nice now, but imagine another year on that guy!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Great pics Mao, he would be tough to pass but like others said if he makes it through he could use another year and has lots of potential.

Last edited:

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I will commend you on the pictures. They are great. You have bigger ones waiting on you anyway. Next year or the year after he will be great. He is very nice now, but imagine another year on that guy!

thanks for the support hicks. i need it. i am just frustrated with not getting any pics of shooters. reason being is that when setting cameras on this property, i twice have jumped two different bucks that would go 140+ easily... one at the begining of july, one last week. i am just amazed how good they are at avoiding my cams. 2 of the 3 on this property are no flash IR's...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I know how you feel Mao, I usually have atleast one or two pics of a few mature or at least "decent bucks" by now, but this year I have none. But you never know when one of those giants are going to walk into your life. Just have to stay after 'em. Best of luck!!

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
thanks for the support hicks. i need it. i am just frustrated with not getting any pics of shooters. reason being is that when setting cameras on this property, i twice have jumped two different bucks that would go 140+ easily... one at the begining of july, one last week. i am just amazed how good they are at avoiding my cams. 2 of the 3 on this property are no flash IR's...

We ran BECS all summer and through the season and never got a pic of a shooter. Granted there was only one shooter we know of on the property but you would think he would wander in front of a cam at some point. If I remember right he was spotted 3 times out of various stands.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
We ran BECS all summer and through the season and never got a pic of a shooter. Granted there was only one shooter we know of on the property but you would think he would wander in front of a cam at some point. If I remember right he was spotted 3 times out of various stands.

its amazing how they can dodge cameras...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
its amazing how they can dodge cameras...

No kidding. I just knew there were some nice deer in the area I had the camera hung. Never got them until I rotated the camera 180 degrees. Got all kinds. Next time I checked the camera, only the smaller bucks on the card. I know the big boys are still in there, but they know how to avoid the cameras. I think once they get accustomed to the cameras and learn there is no danger associated with them they will be more camera friendly. Need to keep the human scent around the camera pretty clear too though.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
No kidding. I just knew there were some nice deer in the area I had the camera hung. Never got them until I rotated the camera 180 degrees. Got all kinds. Next time I checked the camera, only the smaller bucks on the card. I know the big boys are still in there, but they know how to avoid the cameras. I think once they get accustomed to the cameras and learn there is no danger associated with them they will be more camera friendly. Need to keep the human scent around the camera pretty clear too though.

Old scent in our woods has never been much of a problem around the cams. But based on what I have seen on the cam that is baited, not only the pics, but what i have observed in the stand. Those older bucks WANT to go there but just won't. They are a different animal for the most part. Honestly if I had the cash to do it I would keep my huge baitpile with a scented up cam but buy 3 more cams that were set 35-50 yards from the bait. I would keep those cams scentfree, rubber gloves and what not. I bet all of us would be impressed by what deer WON'T come into a mineral or baited spot, but hang just on the fringes. Same really goes for sloppily hung cams, I know I am guilty.