Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Gun Harvest Totals Decline

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Decided to draw a pretty picture.

So here we are today. We have lobbyists from the Farm Bureau and Insurance companies impacting regulations at the ODOW. These regulations are being given to unorganized hunters who are impacting the deer population.

What you see in Green what we want to create in hopes of giving hunters a unified voice to the DOW, provide education to hunters, and try to influence agreeable regulation coming out of the DOW.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
There was no ODNR at the turn of the century and there were no deer either.

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I love being doubted. They said the same thing when we started TOO and look at us now. We'll save you a seat on the bandwagon Dick.

And it'll be the Ohio Whitetail Alliance FYI...

What would be your perfect world in a deer season Jesse? Just curious? How many deer would you like to see in an average season and how many shot opportunities would you like to have? How many bucks would you like to see and what percentage of shooters of those bucks would there be among them?

Hypothetically speaking in a perfect world where you could make the call?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What would be your perfect world in a deer season Jesse? Just curious? How many deer would you like to see in an average season and how many shot opportunities would you like to have? How many bucks would you like to see and what percentage of shooters of those bucks would there be among them?

Hypothetically speaking in a perfect world where you could make the call?

Not sure Chad. Never put that much emphasis on the "me" component of this movement. Maybe I should spend some more time thinking about myself, something a few around here don't seem to struggle with...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Not sure Chad. Never put that much emphasis on the "me" component of this movement. Maybe I should spend some more time thinking about myself, something a few around here don't seem to struggle with...

What the fuck Jesse. I guess its hard for you to answer a simple fucking question.

I am trying to grasp the motive and the passion and the drive behind your movement. Sorry for asking buddy!

And if you are implying that I only think of myself....then you can kiss my fucking ass goodbye. Ive taken more people out hunting and had success in the last 10 years than you even know about.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What the fuck Jesse. I guess its hard for you to answer a simple fucking question.

I am trying to grasp the motive and the passion and the drive behind your movement. Sorry for asking buddy!

And if you are implying that I only think of myself....then you can kiss my fucking ass goodbye. Ive taken more people out hunting and had success in the last 10 years than you even know about.

Simple question? You asked four specific questions requiring specific answers. Hardly a simple question when you ask a man what percentage of shooter bucks should be seen in relation to total buck sightings; like that's math I lay in bed contemplating at night. But for shits and giggles Chad, let's say 4.567%. Does that seem reasonable to you?

As for me and what I want out of this, here is the conversation I had with myself before putting this ball in motion: If not me, then who? If not now, then when? I'm doing this for the next generation. I'm doing this for my daughters and for their kids. I'm doing this for the sport I am passionate about. I'm doing this because I can and because I'm not afraid to put myself out there in the name of Ohio hunters. It's not about ME. It's about the collective group. You stay in your bubble and you keep doing your thing that I don't even know about. Meanwhile, I'm going to carry on with this idea and I'll do it because it's what I feel is right. If that doesn't sit well with some around here, no one has a gun to your head. You are all free to start a different organization that says the OWA is full of shit. Carpe diem...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Little uncalled for don't you think? I think we've done a fairly good job explaining our intentions with the organisation over the past week. I even took the time to draw a pretty informative picture and posted it 30 minutes prior to you posting. So I fail to see why you couldn't "grasp the motive and the passion and the drive behind your movement". Unless you're just trying to single someone out and cause issues because you have a differing opinion.

We're not getting into the weeds with this. When we do it will be a fact based statement backed by solid DATA and aggregate hunter opinion of what the members want. We're not even sure if it's 100% warranted just yet. We're going to launch a massive data and survey collection program to collect a ton of data and opinions before we decide if there something to it. If we see a need like we believe there is, then we're going to move forward and form the organisation. Your opinion as well as everyone else will be lumped in the data if you take the survey. Asking our opinion on what should be done is a moot point, this isn't about what Jesse and Joe wants, we're not starting a dictatorship, we're starting an alliance, one where all hunters can voice their opinion and we can form a collective front.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
And this why I see a demise in deer hunting....
We collectively shoot ourselves in the foot for failing too see different points of view... How are we as a group going to organize deer hunters too the point of making a dent in the thinking of an organization that collectively has their shit together.....
People need to get their emotions in check and put their differences aside and come together for once for the betterment of something bigger then themselves....

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
We collectively shoot ourselves in the foot for failing too see different points of view... How are we as a group going to organize deer hunters too the point of making a dent in the thinking of an organization that collectively has their shit together.....
People need to get their emotions in check and put their differences aside and come together for once for the betterment of something bigger then themselves....
I was just sitting here thinking the exact same thing J. Is it more important to be right or find out what is right.

I hunt 2 properties primarily so I am more sheltered than others. On the main property we have definitely seen a decrease in deer sightings and deer sign. This is in Greene County.

The other property is in Vinton County. That property has decreased as well but it is more cyclical. Seems we have a good year followed by two bad years. This property is not managed for quality or quantity so it is fully expected that we would have bad years.

I do not know the answers but believe that there are still great areas around. This is an issue that needs managed at the micro levels one blanket plan will not work the same everywhere.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

There will always be the guys I circled in red below J. I included them in the above image but circled them in this one. From what I've seen reading posts across the net on various forums, Facebook pages like the deer pics one, and even the ODNR page the opinion of "everything is fine" seems to be a very very small group of people. And when I say small I mean 1 or 2 out of 50 posts. Numerically that translates to 2-4% seem to think everything is OK... We're concerned with the opinion of the majority. Once upon a time we were the small but vocal minority that we didn't agree with the population decimation. That's not the case anymore from what we're seeing. It's the opposite. What we hope to do is find common ground among the noise. There will be many opinions of what should be done, hopefully we can focus that for a unified front.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

I agree buddy.

One issue is that hunters tend to base their opinion solely on the area that they hunt which for most would be considerably under 1 sq mile of area. This is true for those on both sides of the argument. I have seen deer population fluctuate quite considerably over very short distances.

Hunters in general need to put their differences aside and try to come together for the betterment of the sport. Not just on deer numbers either, but just hunting issues in general.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We're not getting into the weeds with this. When we do it will be a fact based statement backed by solid DATA and aggregate hunter opinion of what the members want. We're not even sure if it's 100% warranted just yet. We're going to launch a massive data and survey collection program to collect a ton of data and opinions before we decide if there something to it. If we see a need like we believe there is, then we're going to move forward and form the organisation. Your opinion as well as everyone else will be lumped in the data if you take the survey. Asking our opinion on what should be done is a moot point, this isn't about what Jesse and Joe wants, we're not starting a dictatorship, we're starting an alliance, one where all hunters can voice their opinion and we can form a collective front.

This.

Also, this is not just about deer numbers. There will be a focus on education, conservation and preservation, things I think we can all support. So if you happen to live/hunt next to a nature preserve and think we're crazy for thinking there are less deer, just know that we'll also be fighting to keep our nature preserves and to protect our heritage. One more voice at the table that specifically represents Ohio's deer hunters can't hurt...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Little uncalled for don't you think? I think we've done a fairly good job explaining our intentions with the organisation over the past week. I even took the time to draw a pretty informative picture and posted it 30 minutes prior to you posting. So I fail to see why you couldn't "grasp the motive and the passion and the drive behind your movement". Unless you're just trying to single someone out and cause issues because you have a differing opinion.

Got it Joe.